• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thinking about going to jazzfest

rmodel65

I probably wont OC during most of the trip but I have a GA GWCL which has reciprocity. Are concerts etc legal? do signs hold legal weight anything else i should be aware of if i go on this trip?

Daylen

New Orleans paramilitary does not like people being armed, nor think you have a right to be secure in your person, papers and things from search and seizure. Be careful.

Slidell Jim

You should be fine around town with having a GA CHP, with the reciprocity. It is highly suggested that you carry and have your head on a swivel when in the city of New Orleans. OC and CC are permitted most public places. Notably NOT PERMITED is all bar rooms or locations that serve alcohol for consumption on premise, you can carry in the French Quarter district, but don;t go into any bars.

JazzFest itself maybe another issue. Usually private event organizers refuse entry to anyone with firearms. It is a private venue and they can set their own rules and ask anyone to leave (or refuse entry). I have not been to Jazzfest in several years, but i remember bag searches for food and drink. It is entirely possible they will conduct a search with metal detectors as well.

georg jetson

You should be fine around town with having a GA CHP, with the reciprocity. It is highly suggested that you carry and have your head on a swivel when in the city of New Orleans. OC and CC are permitted most public places. Notably NOT PERMITED is all bar rooms or locations that serve alcohol for consumption on premise, you can carry in the French Quarter district, but don;t go into any bars.

JazzFest itself maybe another issue. Usually private event organizers refuse entry to anyone with firearms. It is a private venue and they can set their own rules and ask anyone to leave (or refuse entry). I have not been to Jazzfest in several years, but i remember bag searches for food and drink. It is entirely possible they will conduct a search with metal detectors as well.

Good to see you're still around Slidell JIm. You should try to make one of our LOCAL meetings soon...

fla_gunman

I took a look around their website and was sorely disappointed when I stumbled upon this "Weapons, illicit drugs, and other contraband are strictly prohibited." Sorry model65, below is a link to the rest of the miscellaneous things they have deemed unfit to enter their event

http://www.nojazzfest.com/info/prohibitions.pdf

However I was there just 2 weeks ago and open carried a 1911 in a very obvious holster around the french quarter both during the day and evening and had no problems whatsoever. A few of the homeless population said, "oh s*it, a cop" and one asked me where he could get one but other than that the week was rather uneventful. I walked directly in front of the horse patrol and all they did was frown and stare me down. Good luck to you

Last edited: