Thread: Why are gunshops wrong?

Why are gunshops wrong?

Just curious what your thoughts are for why so much misinformation is spread by our LGS's. I had one tell me there was no legal open desert shooting in the Las Vegas area. Now this particular shop had an indoor shooting range attached, so I have my opinion for their answers. I have heard shops that have CCW classes saying a CCW holder can no longer open carry, which was corrected, but why can't they get it right?

I dont know. It burns me up though that they cant keep an eye on the people they employ and also themselves as owners. At this point there are about 2 or 3 shops in town that do get my biz because they either get it right, or have employees keep their mouths shut and not interject personal or wrong info.

28kfps
    No legal open desert shooting in the Las Vegas area is a very subjective statement. When you take into account the no shooting within whatever the distance is from the nearest dwelling just about forces the shooter out of the valley, so in many eyes the statement would be correct. The gun store employees have been very good about giving out their opinion in place of the actual law. An ongoing issue the legal gun owner has to stay on top of. Many have their own agenda for giving out incorrect information. I believe for some gun stores hoping for enhanced profits is one.
    Last edited by 28kfps; 01-13-2012 at 01:31 AM.

Here, in Reno, Macabbee Arms Ltd., is a knowledgeable and honest gun store. Owner's name is Sharon.
    Last edited by FallonJeeper; 01-13-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Activist Member
    There are a lot of gun shop owners out there that are arrogant and ignorant. There are more gunshops around than is natural, and in other sectors of business such attitudes held by local stores would cause the local store to go out of business in favor of competition from the internet. The Federal government, run by people vastly more ignorant however, has provided the local gun shop a way to avoid free market competition. Even if you buy a gun online, it still must go through the local gun shop, so he can charge you a transfer fee, which he can set high enough that even though his guns are greatly overpriced, the transfer fee will mean finding a deal online is much more difficult.

Of course, you can always drive to another gun shop, but I think we can agree that the competition has been stifled by the government at least to an extent.