Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: check points what 2 do

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    miami fl
    Posts
    57

    check points what 2 do

    in the last 2 months i have ran into about 6 check points,i bin able 2 turn into a side street or into a parking lot 2 avoid the leo.
    my question is if i do run into one some day what r my Rights do i have 2 show them my ID and can they search my car with out my consent?(i have seen them searching trunks)

  2. #2
    Regular Member ADulay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
    Posts
    466
    I've only run into two of those "random" traffic roadblock things in the past few years and both times I had my license ready when I got to the officer at the stop. As traffic was backed up a few cars on this dark two lane road, I had time to get the license out.

    When I pulled up, I handed him the license, he looked in the Jeep, handed me back the license and we moved on.

    I'm thinking both times it was more of a drunk driving check point than anything else.

    I made no mention of the gun on my belt, the gun in the glovebox or the one under the rear carpet well.

    Driver's license only at this type of stop unless we would be asked to exit the vehicle.

    AD
    NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA, ICORE and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SW Florida
    Posts
    31
    More importantly, why the heck can they setup a checkpoint and demand papers?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    32
    Courts have indeed upheld the practice of checkpoints, though the reasoning behind those decisions I'm not entirely clear on. You are indeed required to show your DL/ID, but you are not required to submit to a vehicle search. I'm guessing that those vehicles you saw being searched were driven either by people who consented, or by people who were arrested or subject to further scrutiny (i.e. plainly-visible contraband within the passenger compartment, no ID in posession, etc..)
    Is it your firearm you're worried about?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    miami fl
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by MedWheeler View Post
    Courts have indeed upheld the practice of checkpoints, though the reasoning behind those decisions I'm not entirely clear on. You are indeed required to show your DL/ID, but you are not required to submit to a vehicle search. I'm guessing that those vehicles you saw being searched were driven either by people who consented, or by people who were arrested or subject to further scrutiny (i.e. plainly-visible contraband within the passenger compartment, no ID in posession, etc..)
    Is it your firearm you're worried about?
    .

    I just hate being interrogated. I drive a lower Honda civic with a 4 point roll cage. I get pull over a lot .most of the time they just run my licens and let me go but when I c check points I c them pic out random pplz and make them pull over on the side and question them. If that ever happens at what point do I tell them I'm armd. And how will they react down here in fl its a 50/50 that it will go well once u tell a cop ur armd idk if it's cuz I live in a bad naborhood or cuz I'm a youn Latin male

  6. #6
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005
    If I ever go through one of these desensitization to tyranny check points I'm going to put my fake Russian accent to use and say, "Are my papers in order comrade?" They probably won't get it but it still be fun.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    SNIP "Are my papers in order comrade?"



    Another one they do get is, "These are not the droids you are looking for." (with Jedi hand gesture, of course)



    Also, we can take back the language and stop calling them checkpoints. They're roadblocks. No sense yielding the initiative on terminology to the spin masters in government who try to make tyranny comfortable.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Baked on Grease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sterling, Va.
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post



    Another one they do get is, "These are not the droids you are looking for." (with Jedi hand gesture, of course)



    Also, we can take back the language and stop calling them checkpoints. They're roadblocks. No sense yielding the initiative on terminology to the spin masters in government who try to make tyranny comfortable.
    Last one I rolled through up here in Va. I just rolled through... Right past the officer motioning me to stop and went on my way. I was already pissed that they did this during rush hour and turned my 15 minute commute into 2 hours because of the back up of vehicles on a 2 lane road. I probably would have a few choice words for them if they did make me stop.

    I also had this guy in mind at the time...

    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop...pHbRTpb8&gl=US

    Not saying it could work for you, but next time I just might...

    Also see www.motorists.org/dui/roadblock

    Sent using tapatalk
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

    "According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

    Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

  9. #9
    Regular Member Motofixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Posts
    974
    Here is what some do...







    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

    The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

    "To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

    http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

  10. #10
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease
    This annoys/worries me:
    when citizens are faced with roadblocks, they should be cooperative. If they do not roll down their window it seems that the officer's suspicion would be heightened and, at minimum, may give the officer grounds to require the driver to pull over to the side of the road.
    the consequences of non-cooperation are undoubtedly understood to be further coercive detention
    WHY should preserving our rights be "suspicious"?
    If I choose not to interact with someone, there's nothing wrong with that.
    How can the peaceful exercise of protected civil rights* be suspicious, or grounds for further detention?
    *[freedom of association, freedom of speech, right to remain silent]

    The Supreme Court of Oregon observed:
    "Reluctance to inform the detained driver that such cooperation is voluntary can only demonstrate the state's willingness to take advantage of those of its citizens who are ignorant of their rights though it must respect the rights of those who know them."
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member Jojo712's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    201
    Toto,

    You've got to give them your license, but you do not have to consent to a search. In the past, I have consented out of fear that some of my "cargo" might be interpreted as contraband, but in all honesty, I only carry everything with me on trips (I used to practice in Pinellas and in Dade).

    Whenever I was stopped, I was more forthright than I am now. I would've shown them my ID and my concealed carry in the past, and they would've asked whether I had a weapon, etc, whereupon I'd have to watch the cop do a ten minute song and dance with my carry piece to make sure it was clear. "Anything else I should be concerned about, son?"

    "Yep, officer: in the ACU backpack you'll find about ten different medications. They're all prescribed and their labels are up to date. In the trunk you'll find a wide assortment of rifles, pistols, scopes, and ammo."

    This course of action never went well, as they would call in an overwhelming show of police force that would go through everything I had piece by piece, but without much discrimination or scrutiny for the respective values of the items. They'd clear me, give me a speeding ticket, and let me go.

    Now, things are different. When stopped, I don't say a word, not even hello. I roll my window down only when asked. When asked if I knew what I was doing, I always answer "no." When told, I answer "oh." At no time do I tell the officer I'm strapped, and at no time does he ask if he can search the car. By having the officer make the statements himself, he has in fact limited the scope of his search to "you were going too fast," or "you blew that red back there." He doesn't have anything to pull him out of that scope, unless there's something suspicious in plain view, or unless he makes something up out of thin air: no reason whatsoever to search your car without consent.

    And don't just decline consent, decline it affirmatively: "No you may not search my car, officer." When he asks if you have anything to hide, answer "certainly not." That should be the end of that. If they persist, inform them that they are coming dangerously close to harassment for "what you said was a routine traffic stop." Be emphatic, but be aware: they can always make something up, and they often do. When that happens, be sure to have your CCP on you and you'll be fine if the weapon is on you; if it is in your glovebox, trunk, or otherwise securely encased you do not need a permit, so don't worry.

    If you have drugs, a half empty bottle of booze, or anything else that you shouldn't have in your car, then you'll need a lawyer. As your attorney, however, I advise you to leave everything you don't wish to be found at home, since the threshold for searching your car is much lower than searching your home. At home, you can leave your Xanax, your pain pills, and your dronabinol in the same container, in your car you shouldn't: if they're not understanding about it, you're going in just for the mix, and even a withhold on a drug charge causes you to lose your concealed. Carrying anything dumb in the car? Just don't.

    And give me a call. Let's go shooting. I'm gonna turn you on to 1911s.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Rich7553's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SWFL
    Posts
    516
    To add to Jojo's post, remember the golden rule: If the officer asks to search your car, he's fishing. If he had probable cause, he wouldn't be asking.
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2
    Mosin Nagant M91/30 (1942 Izhevsk)
    _____________________________________
    Want to do something about your gun rights?
    PITCH IN, QUIT B*TCHING!

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    miami fl
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojo712 View Post
    Toto,

    You've got to give them your license, but you do not have to consent to a search. In the past, I have consented out of fear that some of my "cargo" might be interpreted as contraband, but in all honesty, I only carry everything with me on trips (I used to practice in Pinellas and in Dade).

    Whenever I was stopped, I was more forthright than I am now. I would've shown them my ID and my concealed carry in the past, and they would've asked whether I had a weapon, etc, whereupon I'd have to watch the cop do a ten minute song and dance with my carry piece to make sure it was clear. "Anything else I should be concerned about, son?"

    "Yep, officer: in the ACU backpack you'll find about ten different medications. They're all prescribed and their labels are up to date. In the trunk you'll find a wide assortment of rifles, pistols, scopes, and ammo."

    This course of action never went well, as they would call in an overwhelming show of police force that would go through everything I had piece by piece, but without much discrimination or scrutiny for the respective values of the items. They'd clear me, give me a speeding ticket, and let me go.

    Now, things are different. When stopped, I don't say a word, not even hello. I roll my window down only when asked. When asked if I knew what I was doing, I always answer "no." When told, I answer "oh." At no time do I tell the officer I'm strapped, and at no time does he ask if he can search the car. By having the officer make the statements himself, he has in fact limited the scope of his search to "you were going too fast," or "you blew that red back there." He doesn't have anything to pull him out of that scope, unless there's something suspicious in plain view, or unless he makes something up out of thin air: no reason whatsoever to search your car without consent.

    And don't just decline consent, decline it affirmatively: "No you may not search my car, officer." When he asks if you have anything to hide, answer "certainly not." That should be the end of that. If they persist, inform them that they are coming dangerously close to harassment for "what you said was a routine traffic stop." Be emphatic, but be aware: they can always make something up, and they often do. When that happens, be sure to have your CCP on you and you'll be fine if the weapon is on you; if it is in your glovebox, trunk, or otherwise securely encased you do not need a permit, so don't worry.

    If you have drugs, a half empty bottle of booze, or anything else that you shouldn't have in your car, then you'll need a lawyer. As your attorney, however, I advise you to leave everything you don't wish to be found at home, since the threshold for searching your car is much lower than searching your home. At home, you can leave your Xanax, your pain pills, and your dronabinol in the same container, in your car you shouldn't: if they're not understanding about it, you're going in just for the mix, and even a withhold on a drug charge causes you to lose your concealed. Carrying anything dumb in the car? Just don't.

    And give me a call. Let's go shooting. I'm gonna turn you on to 1911s.

    o ok so just give them my id,dont talk 2 them and keep my mamajuana (dominican rum) at home. got it




    wow how did u know i was looking into the 1911, iiv never shot one but i made up my mind my next gun will be a 1911 all i did at the gun show was check the 1911 out the only thing i dont like is the safty thing on the back of the grip

    lets c if we can pop a few rounds off this weekendend

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    miami fl
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich7553 View Post
    To add to Jojo's post, remember the golden rule: If the officer asks to search your car, he's fishing. If he had probable cause, he wouldn't be asking.
    thanks 2 this site i know that i can say noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Miami, Florida, United States
    Posts
    74
    1911's are a blast to shoot, let really do a get together and I'll let you shoot my AK and my Kel-Tec and the Glock if you've never done those.

    Mike V.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by mavidal View Post
    1911's are a blast to shoot, let really do a get together and I'll let you shoot my AK and my Kel-Tec and the Glock if you've never done those.

    Mike V.
    Just do what I do- give em the finger- as you drive past/around them like they arent even there...

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    miami fl
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by mavidal View Post
    1911's are a blast to shoot, let really do a get together and I'll let you shoot my AK and my Kel-Tec and the Glock if you've never done those.

    Mike V.
    just give me the where the when and the time .i own a glock 19... i shot a full auto ak47 in dominican republic talk about not being able 2 hit nothing..the 1911 im dieing 2 shoot one2chow much i like it


    jo jo when we doing this

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Should have asked that hot chick for a date .. or just go behind that shack for a little juc-juc

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •