• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

check points what 2 do

el rompe toto

in the last 2 months i have ran into about 6 check points,i bin able 2 turn into a side street or into a parking lot 2 avoid the leo.
my question is if i do run into one some day what r my Rights do i have 2 show them my ID and can they search my car with out my consent?(i have seen them searching trunks)

ADulay

I've only run into two of those "random" traffic roadblock things in the past few years and both times I had my license ready when I got to the officer at the stop. As traffic was backed up a few cars on this dark two lane road, I had time to get the license out.

When I pulled up, I handed him the license, he looked in the Jeep, handed me back the license and we moved on.

I'm thinking both times it was more of a drunk driving check point than anything else.

I made no mention of the gun on my belt, the gun in the glovebox or the one under the rear carpet well.

Driver's license only at this type of stop unless we would be asked to exit the vehicle.

AD

im4Christ92

More importantly, why the heck can they setup a checkpoint and demand papers?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

MedWheeler

Courts have indeed upheld the practice of checkpoints, though the reasoning behind those decisions I'm not entirely clear on. You are indeed required to show your DL/ID, but you are not required to submit to a vehicle search. I'm guessing that those vehicles you saw being searched were driven either by people who consented, or by people who were arrested or subject to further scrutiny (i.e. plainly-visible contraband within the passenger compartment, no ID in posession, etc..)
Is it your firearm you're worried about?

el rompe toto

Courts have indeed upheld the practice of checkpoints, though the reasoning behind those decisions I'm not entirely clear on. You are indeed required to show your DL/ID, but you are not required to submit to a vehicle search. I'm guessing that those vehicles you saw being searched were driven either by people who consented, or by people who were arrested or subject to further scrutiny (i.e. plainly-visible contraband within the passenger compartment, no ID in posession, etc..)
Is it your firearm you're worried about?

I just hate being interrogated. I drive a lower Honda civic with a 4 point roll cage. I get pull over a lot .most of the time they just run my licens and let me go but when I c check points I c them pic out random pplz and make them pull over on the side and question them. If that ever happens at what point do I tell them I'm armd. And how will they react down here in fl its a 50/50 that it will go well once u tell a cop ur armd idk if it's cuz I live in a bad naborhood or cuz I'm a youn Latin male

77zach

If I ever go through one of these desensitization to tyranny check points I'm going to put my fake Russian accent to use and say, "Are my papers in order comrade?" They probably won't get it but it still be fun.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP "Are my papers in order comrade?"

:D

Another one they do get is, "These are not the droids you are looking for." (with Jedi hand gesture, of course)

Also, we can take back the language and stop calling them checkpoints. They're roadblocks. No sense yielding the initiative on terminology to the spin masters in government who try to make tyranny comfortable.

Baked on Grease

:D

Another one they do get is, "These are not the droids you are looking for." (with Jedi hand gesture, of course)

Also, we can take back the language and stop calling them checkpoints. They're roadblocks. No sense yielding the initiative on terminology to the spin masters in government who try to make tyranny comfortable.

Last one I rolled through up here in Va. I just rolled through... Right past the officer motioning me to stop and went on my way. I was already pissed that they did this during rush hour and turned my 15 minute commute into 2 hours because of the back up of vehicles on a 2 lane road. I probably would have a few choice words for them if they did make me stop.

I also had this guy in mind at the time...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=/watch?v=IIupHbRTpb8&v=IIupHbRTpb8&gl=US

Not saying it could work for you, but next time I just might...

Also see www.motorists.org/dui/roadblock

Sent using tapatalk

Motofixxer

Here is what some do...

[video=youtube;JaA6GUQlwqA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=JaA6GUQlwqA[/video]

[video=youtube;T-AfWyQUypw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-AfWyQUypw&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;rliqwD7bq_s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rliqwD7bq_s&feature=related[/video]

MKEgal

Baked on Grease said:
This annoys/worries me:
when citizens are faced with roadblocks, they should be cooperative. If they do not roll down their window it seems that the officer's suspicion would be heightened and, at minimum, may give the officer grounds to require the driver to pull over to the side of the road.
the consequences of non-cooperation are undoubtedly understood to be further coercive detention
WHY should preserving our rights be "suspicious"?
If I choose not to interact with someone, there's nothing wrong with that.
How can the peaceful exercise of protected civil rights* be suspicious, or grounds for further detention?
*[freedom of association, freedom of speech, right to remain silent]

The Supreme Court of Oregon observed:
"Reluctance to inform the detained driver that such cooperation is voluntary can only demonstrate the state's willingness to take advantage of those of its citizens who are ignorant of their rights though it must respect the rights of those who know them."

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
Toto,

You've got to give them your license, but you do not have to consent to a search. In the past, I have consented out of fear that some of my "cargo" might be interpreted as contraband, but in all honesty, I only carry everything with me on trips (I used to practice in Pinellas and in Dade).

Whenever I was stopped, I was more forthright than I am now. I would've shown them my ID and my concealed carry in the past, and they would've asked whether I had a weapon, etc, whereupon I'd have to watch the cop do a ten minute song and dance with my carry piece to make sure it was clear. "Anything else I should be concerned about, son?"

"Yep, officer: in the ACU backpack you'll find about ten different medications. They're all prescribed and their labels are up to date. In the trunk you'll find a wide assortment of rifles, pistols, scopes, and ammo."

This course of action never went well, as they would call in an overwhelming show of police force that would go through everything I had piece by piece, but without much discrimination or scrutiny for the respective values of the items. They'd clear me, give me a speeding ticket, and let me go.

Now, things are different. When stopped, I don't say a word, not even hello. I roll my window down only when asked. When asked if I knew what I was doing, I always answer "no." When told, I answer "oh." At no time do I tell the officer I'm strapped, and at no time does he ask if he can search the car. By having the officer make the statements himself, he has in fact limited the scope of his search to "you were going too fast," or "you blew that red back there." He doesn't have anything to pull him out of that scope, unless there's something suspicious in plain view, or unless he makes something up out of thin air: no reason whatsoever to search your car without consent.

And don't just decline consent, decline it affirmatively: "No you may not search my car, officer." When he asks if you have anything to hide, answer "certainly not." That should be the end of that. If they persist, inform them that they are coming dangerously close to harassment for "what you said was a routine traffic stop." Be emphatic, but be aware: they can always make something up, and they often do. When that happens, be sure to have your CCP on you and you'll be fine if the weapon is on you; if it is in your glovebox, trunk, or otherwise securely encased you do not need a permit, so don't worry.

If you have drugs, a half empty bottle of booze, or anything else that you shouldn't have in your car, then you'll need a lawyer. As your attorney, however, I advise you to leave everything you don't wish to be found at home, since the threshold for searching your car is much lower than searching your home. At home, you can leave your Xanax, your pain pills, and your dronabinol in the same container, in your car you shouldn't: if they're not understanding about it, you're going in just for the mix, and even a withhold on a drug charge causes you to lose your concealed. Carrying anything dumb in the car? Just don't.

And give me a call. Let's go shooting. I'm gonna turn you on to 1911s.

Rich7553

To add to Jojo's post, remember the golden rule: If the officer asks to search your car, he's fishing. If he had probable cause, he wouldn't be asking.

el rompe toto

Toto,

You've got to give them your license, but you do not have to consent to a search. In the past, I have consented out of fear that some of my "cargo" might be interpreted as contraband, but in all honesty, I only carry everything with me on trips (I used to practice in Pinellas and in Dade).

Whenever I was stopped, I was more forthright than I am now. I would've shown them my ID and my concealed carry in the past, and they would've asked whether I had a weapon, etc, whereupon I'd have to watch the cop do a ten minute song and dance with my carry piece to make sure it was clear. "Anything else I should be concerned about, son?"

"Yep, officer: in the ACU backpack you'll find about ten different medications. They're all prescribed and their labels are up to date. In the trunk you'll find a wide assortment of rifles, pistols, scopes, and ammo."

This course of action never went well, as they would call in an overwhelming show of police force that would go through everything I had piece by piece, but without much discrimination or scrutiny for the respective values of the items. They'd clear me, give me a speeding ticket, and let me go.

Now, things are different. When stopped, I don't say a word, not even hello. I roll my window down only when asked. When asked if I knew what I was doing, I always answer "no." When told, I answer "oh." At no time do I tell the officer I'm strapped, and at no time does he ask if he can search the car. By having the officer make the statements himself, he has in fact limited the scope of his search to "you were going too fast," or "you blew that red back there." He doesn't have anything to pull him out of that scope, unless there's something suspicious in plain view, or unless he makes something up out of thin air: no reason whatsoever to search your car without consent.

And don't just decline consent, decline it affirmatively: "No you may not search my car, officer." When he asks if you have anything to hide, answer "certainly not." That should be the end of that. If they persist, inform them that they are coming dangerously close to harassment for "what you said was a routine traffic stop." Be emphatic, but be aware: they can always make something up, and they often do. When that happens, be sure to have your CCP on you and you'll be fine if the weapon is on you; if it is in your glovebox, trunk, or otherwise securely encased you do not need a permit, so don't worry.

If you have drugs, a half empty bottle of booze, or anything else that you shouldn't have in your car, then you'll need a lawyer. As your attorney, however, I advise you to leave everything you don't wish to be found at home, since the threshold for searching your car is much lower than searching your home. At home, you can leave your Xanax, your pain pills, and your dronabinol in the same container, in your car you shouldn't: if they're not understanding about it, you're going in just for the mix, and even a withhold on a drug charge causes you to lose your concealed. Carrying anything dumb in the car? Just don't.

And give me a call. Let's go shooting. I'm gonna turn you on to 1911s.

o ok so just give them my id,dont talk 2 them and keep my mamajuana (dominican rum) at home. got it

wow how did u know i was looking into the 1911, iiv never shot one but i made up my mind my next gun will be a 1911 all i did at the gun show was check the 1911 out the only thing i dont like is the safty thing on the back of the grip

lets c if we can pop a few rounds off this weekendend

j4l

1911's are a blast to shoot, let really do a get together and I'll let you shoot my AK and my Kel-Tec and the Glock if you've never done those.

Mike V.

Just do what I do- give em the finger- as you drive past/around them like they arent even there...:cool:

el rompe toto

1911's are a blast to shoot, let really do a get together and I'll let you shoot my AK and my Kel-Tec and the Glock if you've never done those.

Mike V.

just give me the where the when and the time .i own a glock 19... i shot a full auto ak47 in dominican republic talk about not being able 2 hit nothing..the 1911 im dieing 2 shoot one2chow much i like it

jo jo when we doing this