Thread: ODU OKs GUN BAN

ODU OKs GUN BAN

At long last, the nightmare of gun-related violence on the campus of ODU has ended.

http://epilot.hamptonroads.com/Olive...&view=ZW50aXR5

Now that this complete ban on the possession of all guns and other "weapons" by anyone, except for LEO, is in place ... students, faculty, staff, and visitors to ODU may go about their business anywhere on campus and at any hour of the day or night with 100% assurance that they are safe from harm.
    Last edited by USNA69; 01-13-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Well now that it is a complete victim open house the nefarious types that have been sticking to car break ins and such will be a bit more assertive.

.....?

At long last, the nightmare of gun-related violence on the campus of ODU has ended.
    Crime will be going up soon.......
    The new regulation, which was approved in a voice vote with no discussion, also bans a variety of other weapons, including knives with blades larger than 3 inches, blackjacks, machetes, straight razors, stun guns, and nun-chucks or other fighting weapons.
    ....... Alright, better not bring my car, its a "fighting weapon"

So, how does this ban do anything to criminals? does it make it a felony now? I am confused, I thought ODU already had a "gun free zone"/ban
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 01-13-2012 at 12:01 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by USNA69 View Post

http://epilot.hamptonroads.com/Olive...&view=ZW50aXR5

Now that this complete ban on the possession of all guns and other "weapons" by anyone, except for LEO, is in place ... students, faculty, staff, and visitors to ODU may go about their business anywhere on campus and at any hour of the day or night with 100% assurance that they are safe from harm.
    First sentence (lead in) is materially FALSE. The regulation has the force of law for the general public only in buildings and certain "events." Otherwise it primarily refers to those affiliated with the university.
    http://www.virginia1774.org/RVGMUBrief.pdf

They don't do much better later on where they do admit that those members of the public with CHPs can carry. I have OCd as others have done (some w/o permits) and it IS legal - will continue to do so.
    http://www.oag.state.va.us/opinions%...078-hanger.pdf
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Bright side

I'm just as upset by this decision as anyone else. I also realize that some will blame McDonnell for not weighing in or Cuccinelli for his published opinion on the matter last year. However, I do wonder if any of this will stand up to scrutiny in a (or series thereof) court case(s). I recommend 23-49.17 for some leisure reading. My expectation is such that the Universities that are embarking in this manner have inadvertently slipped the noose.

I find it unfortunate that the mechanism to end this debate over the shade of this grey will be costly to tax-payers and detrimental to the reputation of these higher-ed institutes. In the mean time, I believe we owe it to Old Dominion to affect that we make good on our collective vows to stem monetary influx. I alerted the Old Dominion Alumni Association that I would not be donating for this exact reason. Further, I am urging any with a similar mind to look elsewhere for education. The tuition cost may be higher elsewhere, though the value of our objection may outweigh it. On the bright side, the way we're going: borrowing students will repay debts incurred today with dollars of significantly lesser value tomorrow.

My apologies to the Gov and the AG if I've inadvertently let the cat from the bag. Applause may be in order if they've intentionally put these events in motion instead of "going around" the established obstacles.

~G0Z
    Last edited by G0Z; 01-13-2012 at 02:08 PM.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by G0Z View Post
    I'm just as upset by this decision as anyone else. I also realize that some will blame McDonnell for not weighing in or Cuccinelli for his published opinion on the matter last year. However, I do wonder if any of this will stand up to scrutiny in a (or series thereof) court case(s). I recommend 23-49.17 for some leisure reading. My expectation is such that the Universities that are embarking in this manner have inadvertently slipped the noose.

I find it unfortunate that the mechanism to end this debate over the shade of this grey will be costly to tax-payers and detrimental to the reputation of these higher-ed institutes. In the mean time, I believe we owe it to Old Dominion to affect that we make good on our collective vows to stem monetary influx. I alerted the Old Dominion Alumni Association that I would not be donating for this exact reason. Further, I am urging any with a similar mind to look elsewhere for education. The tuition cost may be higher elsewhere, though the value of our objection may outweigh it. On the bright side, the way we're going: borrowing students will repay debts incurred today with dollars of significantly lesser value tomorrow.

My apologies to the Gov and the AG if I've inadvertently let the cat from the bag. Applause may be in order if they've intentionally put these events in motion instead of "going around" the established obstacles.

~G0Z
    Where do you see that 23-49.17 has or could have any major impact on this issue?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Cool

A. The board of visitors shall be vested with all the rights and powers conferred by the provisions of this chapter insofar as the same are not inconsistent with the provisions of this chapter and the general laws of the Commonwealth.
    The board of visitors, taking upon itself the authority to "ban" firearms could be (and absolutely SHOULD BE) construed as an usurpation of Constitutional authority to legislate without the consent of the GA.

The general laws of the Commonwealth permit anyone not legally precluded from POSSESSING a firearm to carry it most anywhere, statutory restrictions notwithstanding.

To unilaterally deny admission to or participation in events at a public university would seem, at least on the surface, inimical to the intent of existing statutory legislation.

Best I could come up with on short notice.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Are they any bills yet to pull all authority to the GA and not let agencies an universities do this crap?

Quote Originally Posted by Uber_Olafsun View Post
    Are they any bills yet to pull all authority to the GA and not let agencies an universities do this crap?
    Yes! Several!

Stay tuned for the release of the VCDL 2012 legislative tracking tool. Why it stays under wraps until Lobby Day remains a mystery.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Yes! Several!

Stay tuned for the release of the VCDL 2012 legislative tracking tool. Why it stays under wraps until Lobby Day remains a mystery.

stay safe.
    Really? Are they on the LIS page yet? I haven't seen them, but I haven't looked today.

TFred

Glad they aren't getting my tuition money anymore. Wonder how many other VA universities will follow suit...

Quote Originally Posted by big_bake View Post
    Glad they aren't getting my tuition money anymore. Wonder how many other VA universities will follow suit...
    Senate Bill 324

2.2-4123. Exemptions.

4. Educational institutions operated by the Commonwealth in the promulgating regulations regarding the carry of firearms inside campus buildings by those not legally permitted to carry concealed handguns.

I really wish I could read legal. So that entire list on the bill are the places that could still make up their own rules??? I guess the preemption because it is a state matter is not really a state matter then.

I really wish I could read legal. So that entire list on the bill are the places that could still make up their own rules??? I guess the preemption because it is a state matter is not really a state matter then.
    The way I read the bill is that state college and universities could NOT restrict carry in their buildings by general public CHP holders but could for employees, staff and students. That is hardly a solution to the problem of GFZ/victim rich environment.

But yes your observation is correct: You can carry everywhere except 1,2,3,4,.................

this is very unfortunate. What they dont see wont hurt them.... they can continue to live in their fantasy world of non-violence and we <the students> will live in reality where self defense is a major concern in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by DJEEPER View Post
    this is very unfortunate. What they dont see wont hurt them.... they can continue to live in their fantasy world of non-violence and we <the students> will live in reality where self defense is a major concern in that area.

College administrators can't "see" the problem nor the solution from their unique perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    College administrators can't "see" the problem nor the solution from their unique perspective.

Or from this angle either perhaps?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	040fc9d7e75634b4962633af0338dabd.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	7762  

Just showed up this evening:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ct-established

TFred

ETA: Oops, this is what happens when you forget to reload a page before posting... Anyway, I'll leave the link as that thread will host the discussion on this bill.
    Last edited by TFred; 01-13-2012 at 11:24 PM.