While there are no more 'Public Gatherings', there are still unauthorized locations. The charge will be amended by the District Attorney's Office.Fulton County Sheriff’s deputies charged Mr. Preston Tyler Pike, 29, of Smyrna, with carrying a concealed weapon and carrying a weapon to a public gathering, officials said.
Gun at Fulton County Courthouse and Man attempts to pass through security with firearm.
Unless exempted by 16-11-130, once he passed over the threshold he was in violation of the law.
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127
Carrying weapons in unauthorized locations; penalty
(a) As used in this Code section, the term:
(2) "Courthouse" means a building occupied by judicial courts and containing rooms in which judicial proceedings are held.
(b) A person shall be guilty of carrying a weapon or long gun in an unauthorized location and punished as for a misdemeanor when he or she carries a weapon or long gun while:
(1) In a government building;
(2) In a courthouse;
(3) In a jail or prison;
(4) In a place of worship;
(5) In a state mental health facility as defined in Code Section 37-1-1... ;
(6) In a bar, unless the owner of the bar permits the carrying of weapons or long guns by license holders;
(7) On the premises of a nuclear power facility, ...; or
(8) Within 150 feet of any polling place, ...
* By a strange quirk of the law, had he gone through security with a 16.5 inch barreled rifle, he would not have been in violation of the law...........................technically.