• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun in Fulton County CourtHouse

aadvark

Well..., I do NOT know The Specifics, BUT I do know that those Charges hold NO Weight in a Georgia CourtRoom.

Someone needs to Educate those Fulton County Deputies, as Carrying a Concealed Weapon and Deadly Weapons to or while at Public Gatherings have been Repealed!

Fallschirjmäger

Fulton County Sheriff’s deputies charged Mr. Preston Tyler Pike, 29, of Smyrna, with carrying a concealed weapon and carrying a weapon to a public gathering, officials said.
While there are no more 'Public Gatherings', there are still unauthorized locations. The charge will be amended by the District Attorney's Office.

Gun at Fulton County Courthouse and Man attempts to pass through security with firearm.
Unless exempted by 16-11-130, once he passed over the threshold he was in violation of the law.
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127
Carrying weapons in unauthorized locations; penalty
(a) As used in this Code section, the term:
(2) "Courthouse" means a building occupied by judicial courts and containing rooms in which judicial proceedings are held.
(b) A person shall be guilty of carrying a weapon or long gun in an unauthorized location and punished as for a misdemeanor when he or she carries a weapon or long gun while:
(1) In a government building;
(2) In a courthouse;
(3) In a jail or prison;
(4) In a place of worship;
(5) In a state mental health facility as defined in Code Section 37-1-1... ;
(6) In a bar, unless the owner of the bar permits the carrying of weapons or long guns by license holders;
(7) On the premises of a nuclear power facility, ...; or
(8) Within 150 feet of any polling place, ...

* By a strange quirk of the law, had he gone through security with a 16.5 inch barreled rifle, he would not have been in violation of the law...........................technically.

Last edited:

aadvark

I know that Those Charges will be Amended..., but Those Deputies should know The Law. There is NO such Charge in Georgia as 'Carrying a Concealed Weapon'. There is NO such Charge in Georgia as 'Deadly Weapon to or while at Public Gathering', either.

*** Additionally..., Georgia Law Exempts 'Handguns' and 'Longguns' which Discharge a Shot of Equal to, or less than, .46 Centimeters in Diameter. ***

*** Also..., Georgia Law Authorizes 3 more Exceptions to Georgia Code 16-11-127, under Subparagraphs (1) through (3) of Subsection (d) of That Code Section. ***

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

True, but since none of those three provisions applied to the case mentioned, I thought it would have been stupid for me to even bring them up.

Last edited: