Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Might Be Moving

Banned

Might Be Moving

I might come to Kentucky, not sure yet.

What do you call your CCW license? (so I dont annoy you by calling it a CCW)?
    Any specific do's and don'ts without a CCW?
    If you're CCW gets suspended in another state, can you get one in Kentucky?
    Do you need a CCW to carry openly?
    Do you need a CCW to carry in a car?
    If so, or not, can it be carried openly in the car?
    What are the gun free zones?

Thanks.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 01-13-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post

Thanks.
    I hear it called ccw and cdwl here all the time. Most everyone knows it by either so that shouldn't be much issue lol
    And for open carry you do not need a cdwl. It's legal for any law abiding citizen to open carry without a license.
    You do not need a cdwl to carry in your car so long that it is either being carried openly, or in a factory installed compartment (glove box, center consol).

Banned
    This would be ok? Its mounted to the Ebrake

Last edited by stainless1911; 01-13-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Can you see it through a window? If so, It should be fine.

Seems pretty well in the open for me. I have had plenty of run-ins with the KY police and none that I have dealt with are too difficult, they probably wouldn't try to say that is concealed.

No loaded carry in bars. Not just no loaded OC.

Banned
    I thought California (until recently) was the only unloaded open carry state. ??

IF it gets suspended, I still have to go to court, it will be for a reckless driving. That charge keeps yopu from having a CPL for 8 years in Michigan.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 01-13-2012 at 10:50 PM.

I thought California (until recently) was the only unloaded open carry state. ??
    You can open carry loaded in Kentucky, except in bars. If one carries in a bar, the gun must be unloaded.

Banned
    Oh I get it.

http://kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm

The reasons an application may be denied, or a license revoked or suspended, include the following:

Conviction of a felony.
    Being under indictment for a felony.
    Conviction of Assault in the fourth degree within the past three years.
    Conviction of terroristic threatening in the third degree within the past three years.
    Conviction of a misdemeanor relating to a controlled substance within the past three years.
    Conviction of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
    Being an unlawful user of, or being addicted to, any controlled substance.
    Conviction of two DUIs within the past three years.
    Commitment for alcohol or drug abuse within the past three years.
    Adjudication as an incompetent or having been involuntarily committed to a mental institution.
    An active emergency protective order or domestic violence order.
    Owing a child support arrearage which equals or exceeds the cumulative amount which would be owed after one (1) year of nonpayment.
    Failure to comply with any subpoena or warrant relating to child support or paternity proceedings.
    Being a fugitive from justice.
    Dishonorable discharge from the Armed Forces.
    A discrepancy concerning the age or training requirements.
    Being ineligible to purchase, receive or possess a firearm, ammunition or both under state or federal law.

Banned
    Looks like I should be good then. Im pretty sharp with the michigan laws, as screwed up as they are, but in Kentucky, I'm a new-b.

I understand.

Im a transplant from Texas. Texas's gun laws can be difficult to get through compared to Kentucky's.

Banned
    Lol, you should try Michigan. Some places you cant conceal, you need a CPL to carry in a car, some places you cant be on the premisis with a firearm, some you can only OC with a CPL, cant carry a rifle with a CPL, but you can posess a rifle on certain premisis, but only with a CPL, it gets worse, but that would take all day to explain. Its a real cluster fu** up here.

Banned
    What type or size of property do you need if you want to shoot in your own back yard? Can you target shoot on state land?

Size? If you can safely shoot a gun on your property you can shoot, as long as it isn't in a city's limits (that prohibits the discharge of a weapon, sometimes including air rifles).

I sometimes shoot where I live and I have neighbors relatively close, but I still take my high powered rifles to my farm.

Banned
    Ok, how is a city defined in Kentucky? I dont like the city life anyhow. Im not rich, ideally, I will have a fixer upper house, or a trailer without neighbors nearby.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Cool Best of luck to you and yours 1911

Thanks.
    Not to hijack your thread Stainless.... If you do move I wish you all the best. Many on the MI forum were not the nicest people when it came to you. I hope if this move occurs you find a better welcome in Kentucky.

P.S. for those FX channel watchers [Justified], are there really towns in western Kentucky like Harlen?

http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/justified
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Banned
    Thanks G9. I hope I don't have to go, but certain people in certain offices seem to have forgotten their oaths. I'll discuss more when I can.

Seems like Kentucky is a lot more free than Michigan.

Kentucky is very free in my opinion.

Cities annex property into their limits to gain more tax money. But before they can annex you, you get to vote to join or not (at least in Louisa, KY you do). Here they cannot just annex roads to get a business/residence and you have to share a common boundary.

I am aware the Michigan has handgun registration, Kentucky does not. Is there any requirements that have to inform Michigan that you are moving in regards to the gun registration or permit or former carry permit there? Reason why I mention that is that in NY State you have to tell them and send in the handgun permit back in the mail this is so they can take the handgun serial numbers off the permit.

Supposedly as the story goes if you don't inform them in NY State it is a fine and might be held against you if you decide to get a permit elsewhere. I don't think Michigan is the same, but I would cover all your bases just in case. You just want to leave the state free and clear.

Banned
    Nice catch, I'll look into it.

I think that in Michigan, once a gun is registered, it's permanent.

If you moved, I would sell those handguns in Michigan and buy some new guns in Kentucky. No waiting period, no registration. Walk in, fill out a 4473, pay the money, walk out the door with your new shiny gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    Not to hijack your thread Stainless.... If you do move I wish you all the best. Many on the MI forum were not the nicest people when it came to you. I hope if this move occurs you find a better welcome in Kentucky.

P.S. for those FX channel watchers [Justified], are there really towns in western Kentucky like Harlen?

I don't watch that show, but the little clip of trailers at the 23 second mark looked much like the area around Ledbetter. So I'll go out on a limb and say yes, there are towns that look like Harlen in western Kentucky. The city limits are usually marked pretty well, at least around here they are. It'd be pretty easy to tell if you're in the city or not. For one if you have city services like garbage pick up you are in city limits.
    A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed to whom it may concern.
    Why open carrying is a good idea: http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...encounter.html

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post

No, because Harlan is in deep south-eastern Ky.

Wikipedia is your friend for our non-bluegrass state friends

Key note, look up Harlan county USA, a documentary about "bloody harlan", and yes, there are still communities and places that are like harlan, both past and present. I wouldn't know about Western KY, I don't travel west of the KY River that often.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Banned
    I was thinking the Northern part, around 75 or 71, that way, Its not too far to drive back to Michigan to see my family.

Can you tint your windows in Kentucky? It's illegal here, some baseless claim about officer safety.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast