• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Might Be Moving

flb_78

If you moved, I would sell those handguns in Michigan and buy some new guns in Kentucky. No waiting period, no registration. Walk in, fill out a 4473, pay the money, walk out the door with your new shiny gun.

CharleyCherokee

Not to hijack your thread Stainless.... If you do move I wish you all the best. Many on the MI forum were not the nicest people when it came to you. I hope if this move occurs you find a better welcome in Kentucky.

P.S. for those FX channel watchers [Justified], are there really towns in western Kentucky like Harlen?

http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/justified

I don't watch that show, but the little clip of trailers at the 23 second mark looked much like the area around Ledbetter. So I'll go out on a limb and say yes, there are towns that look like Harlen in western Kentucky. The city limits are usually marked pretty well, at least around here they are. It'd be pretty easy to tell if you're in the city or not. For one if you have city services like garbage pick up you are in city limits.

DrakeZ07

Not to hijack your thread Stainless.... If you do move I wish you all the best. Many on the MI forum were not the nicest people when it came to you. I hope if this move occurs you find a better welcome in Kentucky.

P.S. for those FX channel watchers [Justified], are there really towns in western Kentucky like Harlen?

http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/justified

No, because Harlan is in deep south-eastern Ky.

Wikipedia is your friend for our non-bluegrass state friends :D

Key note, look up Harlan county USA, a documentary about "bloody harlan", and yes, there are still communities and places that are like harlan, both past and present. I wouldn't know about Western KY, I don't travel west of the KY River that often.

stainless1911

Banned
I was thinking the Northern part, around 75 or 71, that way, Its not too far to drive back to Michigan to see my family.

Can you tint your windows in Kentucky? It's illegal here, some baseless claim about officer safety.

flb_78

Yup.

35% on the front windows, 18% on the rear windows.

I personally have 30% on side windows front and rear and 5% on the back glass. That was legal in Texas and Im not paying to redo the back glass.

stainless1911

Banned
I dont know the % on mine, but its pretty dark. Got the car in Ohio, right at the OH KY border actually. I dont want to change the tint either, first off, its my car, not theirs, otherwise, it makes the car look good, and keeps people from seeing my radio.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I have 5% on every piece of glass except the windshield on my car, and I've never had a problem..... There is a explorer aroun m area that even has tent on the bottom and top of te windshield, there may be 6" of no tint, and I've seen it driving around for years, I'd say it depends where you are. Northern Ky, Covington, Louisville, Lexington, you could have some problems.

stainless1911

Banned
Yeah, bigger cities are always problem areas. Here, any tint is illegal, but it depends on what kind of car you drive, and frankly, if you keep it clean or not. Get it dirty, get a ticket. Or, you could have 2 identical cars, say, mustangs. If one of them is in great shape and the other is beat up and dirty, you'll get pulled over for ting in the old looking one every time.

One thing I noticed that I like, is that you dont need a front license plate. I have a 96 camaro, those just dont look right with a front plate. What are the Interstate speed limits? We got 70mph around here, but you can run about 85 most of the time without fear.

Last edited:

09jisaac

When there is no cops around you can run 100+

But seriously, the interstate speed limit is 75 and they don't seem to pull over anything going under 85 for speeding.

stainless1911

Banned
Sweet. I'm liking Kentucky so far. Used to live in West Virgina, really liked it there. The camaro likes to roll along at around 83, just idling at 2,000 rpm.

I don't know if I'm moving yet or not, but I'm really starting to want to, instead of needing to.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
No, because Harlan is in deep south-eastern Ky.

Wikipedia is your friend for our non-bluegrass state friends :D

Key note, look up Harlan county USA, a documentary about "bloody harlan", and yes, there are still communities and places that are like harlan, both past and present. I wouldn't know about Western KY, I don't travel west of the KY River that often.

Thanks for the education ;) the 'show' often refers to eastern and western KY. so I was misguided you might say "go figure something on TV is inaccurate" ;)

Watched your suggestion very informative of the history of Harlan Co. KY

found this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUGXsRwL4qw&feature=related
Good dashboard video that gives one an idea of the area; minus mountains, not that different than many rural areas here in the rust belt.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
I'd like to live in an area close to the freeway, on some property. Doesnt have to be expensive, I can fix it up. What I don't want, is to have neighbors, I dont want to see them, and I especially dont want to hear them. I can't go to sleep until 3am because my neighbors are loud. Left to my own devices, I would naturally wake up at 8 o'clock. I dont ever want to be in this position again.

carsontech

Activist Member
Sweet. I'm liking Kentucky so far. Used to live in West Virgina, really liked it there. The camaro likes to roll along at around 83, just idling at 2,000 rpm.

I don't know if I'm moving yet or not, but I'm really starting to want to, instead of needing to.

2,000 RPM at 83? Put a 4.56 gear in the rear. Real mean cruise around on the interstate at 4000 rpm. "Don't fear the gear".

If gas millage is a concern, just keep the gas peddle steady and you'll be fine. I've had many f-body cars, all of them had at least a 3.90 ring and pinion gear set in the rear and the cars got 26-30 MPG average. Of course, mine were all LS1 cars. An LT1 car can reach close to that, though.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
With the LT1, and a 6 speed, there's supposed to be a 3:73 (IIRC) back there. When I got the car, actually, its my moms but she lets me play with it, someone had a different rear end installed. The speedo said it was doing about 48 when other cars were doing 70-75. Good thing we changed it too, when we opened the diff and took it apart, the old one was all chewed up.

One nice thing if I go down there, is that I'll be able to drive it year round. Right now, its sitting in a storage unit hiding from the snow and salt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ8via5xLwA

carsontech

Activist Member
Your car makes me miss my cars. My last was a supercharged 4 cylinder, but before that, my wife had a 2000 Camaro and I had two 99 Trans Ams. Before those two Trans Ams, I had 2 other 99 Trans Ams, lol, and my wife had her Camaro back then, as well. Before that it was a one of my 99 Trans Ams, an 04 Mustang GT, and an 89 Mustang GT. Finally, the whole thing that began my addiction was a 72 Mustang I rebuilt with my dad, which was mine through high school. I put tons of money in each of those cars just to wave a time slip around, it got addicting, lol.

Now all my wife and I have is one vehicle for both of us, a 99 Chevy Tracker. I hate the thing, but it's not bad.

We had to make sacrifices for her to be a stay at home mom. I wouldn't have it any other way. I still want another car to have fun with though.

We're looking to move to a state with more freedoms, just like you. We're working on selling all of our belongings to make it out of here. The only thing really holding us back is selling our house.

I'll probably have to take a cut in pay when we first move to our destination. I would rather live in a house, or trailer, 10 times smaller than the one we have now, and dig ditches all day as a job, than live in this state where most of my rights, and most other citizens rights, are being infringed. My only requirement is that we have some running water, electricity, and no one living around us for at least a mile.

Last edited: