• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC Classes

Law abider

I received a couple of e mails from WI Carry on CC courses being offered. However thay are not in my area. Our paper Pierce county Herald just published an article on a course to be offered in Ellsworth on Jan 28th. The fee is $100. by Chris Chandler. Is this a 'normal' fee??

H

Herr Heckler Koch

That's what my town cop thinks he's getting. I left a voice mail asking if the $100 was for the certification or the class time. He has not returned my call. The class is tomorrow 08 - 12 and I know of no one that is planning on taking it.

My point is, he's teaching the CCL class, but how will he enforce 175.60 and 941 without being accused of inadequacy or unequal treatment for not having taken his class. At men's breakfast I asked if a CCL can be in a tavern and if he must OC or CC and the circle of gentlemen were all over the map. I wonder if the cop will tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

MKEgal

Law abider said:
Our paper Pierce county Herald just published an article on a course to be offered in Ellsworth on Jan 28th. The fee is $100. Is this a 'normal' fee??
Depends on where you are.
I've seen NRA classes listed in the MKE area for $150 that I teach for $100. My cc class is less than that.
I suppose in places with fewer teachers, & perhaps students who are less aware, fees might be even higher.

You have to do your research - both on instructor(s) & average fees (look at the class search pages of national educational organizations to find classes in your area).

Ask former students if they got a good deal & learned useful information, were able to ask questions, had things explained until they understood.
IMO a big "this is a good teacher" hint in any field is someone who isn't afraid to admit "I don't know the answer to that, but I'll find out & let you know".
Find someone who doesn't just give opinions, but shows you the law & explains it until you understand. Opinions should be clearly stated as such, preferably with the rationale supporting them.

And IMO a firearms instructor, particularly a cc instructor, who doesn't give students a healthy respect for the negative consequences of even a lawful shooting, and strong encouragement to do whatever it takes to avoid a shooting (even in self-defense), is doing them a disservice.

BROKENSPROKET

Depends on where you are.
I've seen NRA classes listed in the MKE area for $150 that I teach for $100. My cc class is less than that.
I suppose in places with fewer teachers, & perhaps students who are less aware, fees might be even higher.

You have to do your research - both on instructor(s) & average fees (look at the class search pages of national educational organizations to find classes in your area).

Ask former students if they got a good deal & learned useful information, were able to ask questions, had things explained until they understood.
IMO a big "this is a good teacher" hint in any field is someone who isn't afraid to admit "I don't know the answer to that, but I'll find out & let you know".
Find someone who doesn't just give opinions, but shows you the law & explains it until you understand. Opinions should be clearly stated as such, preferably with the rationale supporting them.

And IMO a firearms instructor, particularly a cc instructor, who doesn't give students a healthy respect for the negative consequences of even a lawful shooting, and strong encouragement to do whatever it takes to avoid a shooting (even in self-defense), is doing them a disservice.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100 %

E6chevron

MKEgal
BROKENSPROKET

I agree on CC training. It's not a combat course, it's not a marksmanship course, although some of these skills are useful for self defense.