Thread: Is there a need to "file" in Virginia to open carry?

Is there a need to "file" in Virginia to open carry?

I was told by a friend that in order to legally carry in Virginia, I need to go to the court clerk's office and basically file as a legal gun owner and declare that I am carrying. I couldn't find anything in VA laws about this, nor have I ever heard of it. I am new to VA and the open carry world and feel like I've done my homework on the subject, but never found anything about filing for anything. Can anyone advise me on this?

If it matters, I have already applied for a CHP so I would imagine it's implied to the clerk's office that I own and intend to carry a firearm...

You don't have to file anything to OC in Virginia. Your ready to go as it is.

No you do not have to file with the court house to carry. Your friend is saying something that he doesn't even no what he is talking about.

Before you tell me thanks for the advice but you want to here it from someone who lives in VA. Know that I don't live there now, but I did for 4 years. I'm no expert on Va laws, but I do know that what your friend is wrong.

Any advise is welcome, I came here with the assumption I would get a general consensus of sound advise. My friend sounded wrong to me, I just figured I would check since I have been carrying for about a month now. No idea where he got that from, definitely sounded strange.

Well, that's a total load of bollocks. Perhaps they got it confused with concealed carry.

Since you are here I will point you to some good information:

Open Carry- http://opencarry.com/va.html

Concealed Carry- http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf

I also encourage you to check out the Virginia Citizens Defense League. It is a great group dedicated to gun rights in VA. If you go to their website you can sign up for VA-ALERT (on the right side of the page) which is a free email system that will keep you informed about everything gun-related going on in the state. The website is http://www.vcdl.org

By the way, Welcome to OCDO!!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!!!
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Phil View Post
    Any advise is welcome, I came here with the assumption I would get a general consensus of sound advise. My friend sounded wrong to me, I just figured I would check since I have been carrying for about a month now. No idea where he got that from, definitely sounded strange.
    Trust us on this one - there is no requirement for you to do anything at any courthouse or anywhere else before you can legally OC in Virginia. Just be legal to posses the handgun and stay away from the very few restricted areas.

Your friend either comes from some nannyland, has fallen for something he heard from a (probably) gunshop "expert", or made that up to see how gulible you might be. But be sure to thank him for the amusement he provided.

On the other hand, Welcome to OCDO and the wonderful life of OCing. If you can, come to Lobby Day on Monday, and check for OC events (dinners, breakfasts are the usual ones) near you so you can meet fellow OCers in person.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely sign up with VCDL.

I did ask him if he was thinking of a CHP, he was adamant that it was for open carry. lol. I know that VA is often referred to as one of the open carry friendliest states, so I'm glad to know they aren't keeping some sort of weird registry of carriers.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    There is no registration of guns in VA except for class III. The is no permit needed to OC in VA - just not be a restricted person i.e. not a felon and a few other such limitations. There is no law allowing OC, because laws are generally enacted to say what cannot be done - so the absence of any law limiting OC is what makes it legal.

Consider joining VCDL to help promote the right to defend yourself - they are the premier gun rights group in Virginia.
    You may join here here - best darned $25.00 you'll ever spend.

At the very least, sign up for VCDL's free Va-Alert and stay current with changes in the laws and what is happening throughout the state.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely sign up with VCDL.

I did ask him if he was thinking of a CHP, he was adamant that it was for open carry. lol. I know that VA is often referred to as one of the open carry friendliest states, so I'm glad to know they aren't keeping some sort of weird registry of carriers.
    Just for kicks, and for our entertainment, ask him from where he heard this information and...

Welcome aboard. We're happy to have you with us. What a difference a river makes between Maryland and Virginia, eh? As you go about your daily affairs, you'll most likely continue to find that openly carrying your sidearm is no big deal. Take notice of license plates in gas stations when you stop and fill up. Since you're in Alexandria, I'll bet you see a lot of ones from DC and Maryland. Those are the ones that are most likely to do the wide-eyed stare when you are filling up and paying. And most definitely join VCDL and look for OC lunches and dinners which are frequently posted.

Enjoy your new-found freedom.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quick, easily accessible, interactive overview of OC in all states:
    http://www.opencarry.org/maps.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

One of the main reasons why i want to move to this great state.
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

Quote Originally Posted by Verd View Post
    One of the main reasons why i want to move to this great state.
    We would welcome your arrival too!

BTW - your avatar makes me get all twitchy and I sometimes actually scrunch my head down - that muzzle looks as big as a howitzer on my screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    We would welcome your arrival too!

BTW - your avatar makes me get all twitchy and I sometimes actually scrunch my head down - that muzzle looks as big as a howitzer on my screen.
    Thanks!

LOL! It helps to remind me how badly I want to pick up a 1911 for myself. But don't worry, trigger discipline is being used!
    Last edited by Verd; 01-19-2012 at 04:59 AM.
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

Here in WA, you're required to call the police department ahead of time and not only let them know you'll be open carrying, but ask permission if it's OK to do so... At least, that's what a Pierce county deputy told me...

Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post
    Here in WA, you're required to call the police department ahead of time and not only let them know you'll be open carrying, but ask permission if it's OK to do so... At least, that's what a Pierce county deputy told me...

That doesn't sound right either. Best to really check it out on the Washington forum. It would be interesting to hear what those folks have to say about this if you would report back here on this thread.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

That Pierce county deputy is so full of manure that it is spewing out his mouth!

I thought I sensed some sarcasm in the tone of TechnoWeenie's post.

I love the "a friend told me" advice I hear. I've had to correct one of my friends more than once.

File? No. Just a thumb print, blood sample, a lock of hair, and a stool sample to the clerk's office and you're good to go!!

Quote Originally Posted by sawah View Post
    File? No. Just a thumb print, blood sample, a lock of hair, and a stool sample to the clerk's office and you're good to go!!
    I gave them the rest but there is NO WAY they're getting any of my hair, there's little enough of it left now

Quote Originally Posted by sawah View Post
    Asking for stool samples can be dangerous. Monkeys and ranchers have been known to comply, though not in the orderly fashion or in the case of the latter, quantity requested...
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Never found out how the friend heard this information. Definitely would be a ridiculous thing to have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by FallonJeeper View Post
    I thought I sensed some sarcasm in the tone of TechnoWeenie's post.
    Oh you did..

But I'm not lying either....

I have the deputy on tape, after detaining me, asking me if I called them to ask if I could...and if I called an attorney.....
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend who knows this guy who said that in order to OC in Virginia you have to wear red sparkly shoes click your heels together three times and say "There is nothing like OC'ing in the Great Commonwealth of Virginia"
    "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again"