• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is there a need to "file" in Virginia to open carry?

Dr Phil

I was told by a friend that in order to legally carry in Virginia, I need to go to the court clerk's office and basically file as a legal gun owner and declare that I am carrying. I couldn't find anything in VA laws about this, nor have I ever heard of it. I am new to VA and the open carry world and feel like I've done my homework on the subject, but never found anything about filing for anything. Can anyone advise me on this?

If it matters, I have already applied for a CHP so I would imagine it's implied to the clerk's office that I own and intend to carry a firearm...

SigGuy23

Activist Member
No you do not have to file with the court house to carry. Your friend is saying something that he doesn't even no what he is talking about.

Before you tell me thanks for the advice but you want to here it from someone who lives in VA. Know that I don't live there now, but I did for 4 years. I'm no expert on Va laws, but I do know that what your friend is wrong.

Dr Phil

Any advise is welcome, I came here with the assumption I would get a general consensus of sound advise. My friend sounded wrong to me, I just figured I would check since I have been carrying for about a month now. No idea where he got that from, definitely sounded strange.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Well, that's a total load of bollocks. Perhaps they got it confused with concealed carry.

Since you are here I will point you to some good information:

Open Carry- http://opencarry.com/va.html

Concealed Carry- http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf

I also encourage you to check out the Virginia Citizens Defense League. It is a great group dedicated to gun rights in VA. If you go to their website you can sign up for VA-ALERT (on the right side of the page) which is a free email system that will keep you informed about everything gun-related going on in the state. The website is http://www.vcdl.org

By the way, Welcome to OCDO!!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!!!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Any advise is welcome, I came here with the assumption I would get a general consensus of sound advise. My friend sounded wrong to me, I just figured I would check since I have been carrying for about a month now. No idea where he got that from, definitely sounded strange.

Trust us on this one - there is no requirement for you to do anything at any courthouse or anywhere else before you can legally OC in Virginia. Just be legal to posses the handgun and stay away from the very few restricted areas.

Your friend either comes from some nannyland, has fallen for something he heard from a (probably) gunshop "expert", or made that up to see how gulible you might be. But be sure to thank him for the amusement he provided.

On the other hand, Welcome to OCDO and the wonderful life of OCing. If you can, come to Lobby Day on Monday, and check for OC events (dinners, breakfasts are the usual ones) near you so you can meet fellow OCers in person.

stay safe.

Dr Phil

Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely sign up with VCDL.

I did ask him if he was thinking of a CHP, he was adamant that it was for open carry. lol. I know that VA is often referred to as one of the open carry friendliest states, so I'm glad to know they aren't keeping some sort of weird registry of carriers.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

There is no registration of guns in VA except for class III. The is no permit needed to OC in VA - just not be a restricted person i.e. not a felon and a few other such limitations. There is no law allowing OC, because laws are generally enacted to say what cannot be done - so the absence of any law limiting OC is what makes it legal.

Consider joining VCDL to help promote the right to defend yourself - they are the premier gun rights group in Virginia.
You may join here here - best darned $25.00 you'll ever spend.

At the very least, sign up for VCDL's free Va-Alert and stay current with changes in the laws and what is happening throughout the state.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely sign up with VCDL.

I did ask him if he was thinking of a CHP, he was adamant that it was for open carry. lol. I know that VA is often referred to as one of the open carry friendliest states, so I'm glad to know they aren't keeping some sort of weird registry of carriers.

Just for kicks, and for our entertainment, ask him from where he heard this information and...

Welcome aboard. We're happy to have you with us. What a difference a river makes between Maryland and Virginia, eh? As you go about your daily affairs, you'll most likely continue to find that openly carrying your sidearm is no big deal. Take notice of license plates in gas stations when you stop and fill up. Since you're in Alexandria, I'll bet you see a lot of ones from DC and Maryland. Those are the ones that are most likely to do the wide-eyed stare when you are filling up and paying. And most definitely join VCDL and look for OC lunches and dinners which are frequently posted.

Enjoy your new-found freedom.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
One of the main reasons why i want to move to this great state.

We would welcome your arrival too!

BTW - your avatar makes me get all twitchy and I sometimes actually scrunch my head down - that muzzle looks as big as a howitzer on my screen. :lol:

Verd

Campaign Veteran
We would welcome your arrival too!

BTW - your avatar makes me get all twitchy and I sometimes actually scrunch my head down - that muzzle looks as big as a howitzer on my screen. :lol:

Thanks!

LOL! It helps to remind me how badly I want to pick up a 1911 for myself. But don't worry, trigger discipline is being used!

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Here in WA, you're required to call the police department ahead of time and not only let them know you'll be open carrying, but ask permission if it's OK to do so... At least, that's what a Pierce county deputy told me...

:lol:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Here in WA, you're required to call the police department ahead of time and not only let them know you'll be open carrying, but ask permission if it's OK to do so... At least, that's what a Pierce county deputy told me...

:lol:

That doesn't sound right either. Best to really check it out on the Washington forum. It would be interesting to hear what those folks have to say about this if you would report back here on this thread.

jeeper1

That Pierce county deputy is so full of manure that it is spewing out his mouth!

FallonJeeper

I thought I sensed some sarcasm in the tone of TechnoWeenie's post.

I love the "a friend told me" advice I hear. I've had to correct one of my friends more than once.

sawah

File? No. Just a thumb print, blood sample, a lock of hair, and a stool sample to the clerk's office and you're good to go!! :dude:

scouser

File? No. Just a thumb print, blood sample, a lock of hair, and a stool sample to the clerk's office and you're good to go!! :dude:

I gave them the rest but there is NO WAY they're getting any of my hair, there's little enough of it left now:lol:

Daylen

Asking for stool samples can be dangerous. Monkeys and ranchers have been known to comply, though not in the orderly fashion or in the case of the latter, quantity requested...