Thread: Internet Strike on Wednesday

Banned

Internet Strike on Wednesday

In protest of the internet censorshit threat, hundreds of websites like google, facebook, gmail, and tumblr are going to do a blackout. I'm not sure how long it will last, possibly until the bill goes before the senate on the 24th

Scroll down the list on the linked page to see if the sites you use are affected.

MODS, I encourage you to join in this fight, if you have not already.

http://sopastrike.com/on-strike/

U.S. Representative Lamar Smith, the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, said his Stop Online Piracy Act meets the administrationís tests. Smith announced on Jan. 13 that he would remove a provision that would require Internet service providers, when ordered by a court, to block access to non-U.S. websites offering pirated content or counterfeit goods. The billís opponents say this could hurt the domain-name system.
    http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...acy-bills.html

Seriously?..

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    In protest of the internet censorshit threat, hundreds of websites like google, facebook, gmail, and tumblr are going to do a blackout. I'm not sure how long it will last, possibly until the bill goes before the senate on the 24th

Scroll down the list on the linked page to see if the sites you use are affected.

MODS, I encourage you to join in this fight, if you have not already.

http://sopastrike.com/on-strike/
    Have you read the list of supposed strikers? Do you really believe that Google and Facebook are going offline for even a minute? When there's money to make?

"Never let principal get in the way of making a profit." Unknown Ferengi trader
    Freedom can never be lost, only given away by ignorance, by choice, or at the point of a gun. Here in America we can still choose.

Freedom First 1775

"I aim to misbehave..." Malcolm Reynolds

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom First View Post
    "Never let principal get in the way of making a profit." Unknown Ferengi trader
    so is that deep Ferengi insight or broken English?

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    so is that deep Ferengi insight or broken English?
    Its the rules of acquisition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

Yeah, none of the big names are going to pull offline.

At most, I can see them having a special landing page with a click through to show a "censorship message" or the like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

Banned
    I hope they do shut it down. Will they? I don't know, but shutting down basically the entire country at this point, is undoubtabley the wisest possible move.

At this point I can sort of see some up sides to a massive solar storm... No internet, no extra-Constitutional government, etc...
    Freedom can never be lost, only given away by ignorance, by choice, or at the point of a gun. Here in America we can still choose.

Freedom First 1775

Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    Its the rules of acquisition.
    Not really, I just made it up. It fits though...

Freedom First 1775

Banned
    When the .gov shuts down, nobody knows, or really cares. But if google shuts down, its a real problem. lol

Herr Heckler Koch
    On other and more appropriate fora, I have been touting the movie Margin Call and the book Nassim Nicholas Taleb's The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable as evidence that the shutdown has begun and that those responsible haven't yet noticed. Here "those responsible" are those irresponsibly donating their financial risk to arbitrageurs that bundle it to be resold and resold as Mortgage Backed Securities - MBS.

Each points well manicured fingers at H. L. Mencken's "plain people."

No one in this world, so far as I know ó and I have searched the record for years, and employed agents to help me ó has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people.

Notes On Journalism The Chicago Tribune September 19, 1926

Black Swans...

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    On other and more appropriate fora, I have been touting the movie Margin Call and the book Nassim Nicholas Taleb's The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable as evidence that the shutdown has begun and that those responsible haven't yet noticed. Here "those responsible" are those irresponsibly donating their financial risk to arbitrageurs that bundle it to be resold and resold as Mortgage Backed Securities - MBS.

Each points well manicured fingers at H. L. Mencken's "plain people."
    The Black Swan Event is a very interesting perspective. I just read the first chapter online at the NY Times and I found it very thought provoking. Thanks for the post.

The systemic failure of our fractional reserve, central bank ruled, debt based economy is in process today. What remains is to walk out the specifics of the failure including our (and our governments) responses to it. That will be another Black Swan for people to examine.

Freedom First 1775

Herr Heckler Koch
    You are most welcome and gracious in your appreciation.

You can find most, perhaps all, of the books material at his web site as 'working papers' or some such. I've dropped them to my e-reader but it's slow going for its poor rendition of the maths.

TO keep discussion of it nearly OT, I was studying single/unique event statistics when I found Taleb from Bayesian inference. The single/unique events that I have in mind are the 'air-shot fatalities'. I'm about to consider them as lamestream media bullsnit reinforcing conventional wisdom. The probabilities are of the same order as winning the Power Ball Lottery 10^-9 or so.

Just incase you're interested, it's been made official:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1210990.html

Funny, I thought google, facebook, youtube, and twitter would join in, but the latter three have no noticable signs up, and all google has is a black box over its logo...

Funny enough Minecraft's loading screen has more anti-SOPA/PIPA that most of the websites on that list.

"PIPA & SOPA? How about NOPA! We are joining the internet-wide protest against SOPA/PIPA today on JAN 18TH by shutting down our websites." - Minecraft loading screen & http://www.minecraft.net/ -- Thank gods I can still log in and play
    Last edited by DrakeZ07; 01-18-2012 at 08:53 AM.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Herr Heckler Koch
    As to our owners joining the blackout, one of the principals in the anti-SOPA/PIPA also publishes a best practices whitepaper that our owners ignore/deny. They are not advocate/activists in this cause.