• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Internet Strike on Wednesday

stainless1911

Banned
In protest of the internet censorshit threat, hundreds of websites like google, facebook, gmail, and tumblr are going to do a blackout. I'm not sure how long it will last, possibly until the bill goes before the senate on the 24th

Scroll down the list on the linked page to see if the sites you use are affected.

MODS, I encourage you to join in this fight, if you have not already.

http://sopastrike.com/on-strike/

carsontech

Activist Member
U.S. Representative Lamar Smith, the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, said his Stop Online Piracy Act meets the administration’s tests. Smith announced on Jan. 13 that he would remove a provision that would require Internet service providers, when ordered by a court, to block access to non-U.S. websites offering pirated content or counterfeit goods. The bill’s opponents say this could hurt the domain-name system.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-01-14/white-house-won-t-back-internet-censorship-in-piracy-bills.html

Freedom First

Seriously?..

In protest of the internet censorshit threat, hundreds of websites like google, facebook, gmail, and tumblr are going to do a blackout. I'm not sure how long it will last, possibly until the bill goes before the senate on the 24th

Scroll down the list on the linked page to see if the sites you use are affected.

MODS, I encourage you to join in this fight, if you have not already.

http://sopastrike.com/on-strike/

Have you read the list of supposed strikers? Do you really believe that Google and Facebook are going offline for even a minute? When there's money to make?

"Never let principal get in the way of making a profit." Unknown Ferengi trader

VW_Factor

Yeah, none of the big names are going to pull offline.

At most, I can see them having a special landing page with a click through to show a "censorship message" or the like.

Freedom First

At this point I can sort of see some up sides to a massive solar storm... No internet, no extra-Constitutional government, etc...

H

Herr Heckler Koch

On other and more appropriate fora, I have been touting the movie Margin Call and the book Nassim Nicholas Taleb's The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable as evidence that the shutdown has begun and that those responsible haven't yet noticed. Here "those responsible" are those irresponsibly donating their financial risk to arbitrageurs that bundle it to be resold and resold as Mortgage Backed Securities - MBS.

Each points well manicured fingers at H. L. Mencken's "plain people."

No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the record for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people.

Notes On Journalism The Chicago Tribune September 19, 1926

Freedom First

Black Swans...

On other and more appropriate fora, I have been touting the movie Margin Call and the book Nassim Nicholas Taleb's The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable as evidence that the shutdown has begun and that those responsible haven't yet noticed. Here "those responsible" are those irresponsibly donating their financial risk to arbitrageurs that bundle it to be resold and resold as Mortgage Backed Securities - MBS.

Each points well manicured fingers at H. L. Mencken's "plain people."

The Black Swan Event is a very interesting perspective. I just read the first chapter online at the NY Times and I found it very thought provoking. Thanks for the post.

The systemic failure of our fractional reserve, central bank ruled, debt based economy is in process today. What remains is to walk out the specifics of the failure including our (and our governments) responses to it. That will be another Black Swan for people to examine.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

You are most welcome and gracious in your appreciation.

You can find most, perhaps all, of the books material at his web site as 'working papers' or some such. I've dropped them to my e-reader but it's slow going for its poor rendition of the maths.

TO keep discussion of it nearly OT, I was studying single/unique event statistics when I found Taleb from Bayesian inference. The single/unique events that I have in mind are the 'air-shot fatalities'. I'm about to consider them as lamestream media bullsnit reinforcing conventional wisdom. The probabilities are of the same order as winning the Power Ball Lottery 10^-9 or so.

DrakeZ07

Funny, I thought google, facebook, youtube, and twitter would join in, but the latter three have no noticable signs up, and all google has is a black box over its logo...

Funny enough Minecraft's loading screen has more anti-SOPA/PIPA that most of the websites on that list.

"PIPA & SOPA? How about NOPA! We are joining the internet-wide protest against SOPA/PIPA today on JAN 18TH by shutting down our websites." - Minecraft loading screen & http://www.minecraft.net/ -- Thank gods I can still log in and play :D

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

As to our owners joining the blackout, one of the principals in the anti-SOPA/PIPA also publishes a best practices whitepaper that our owners ignore/deny. They are not advocate/activists in this cause.