• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Ft Jackson - Any military guys here?

stevepk

Coming down to Columbia/Ft Jackson the 1st of the month for my son graduation from basic training. Being from the last state to restrict my 2nd Amendment rights (yeah Illinois) I know SC doesn't recognize my non-resident FL CCW. So the real question I have is how to transport my handgun on Ft Jackson. I know the most to all military forbid CC because I'm retired Air Force and still work on base

Thanks
Steve

SFCRetired

Every base I've been on recently has a strict "no weapons" policy. If you get caught, it's going to go in front of a federal magistrate.

Personal opinion: I wouldn't risk carrying a firearm on base. You never know when they'll decide to pull a random search.

armaborealis

You have a few options.

First, you may want to contact the provost marshal at Ft Jackson. They may allow you to register the firearm then store it at the armory on base. Ft Jackson does have a range (rod & gun/skeet club) so they clearly have some provision for allowing privately owned weapons onto the base.

You can contact Shaw AFB Security Forces. Shaw is about an hour down the road. They also have skeet club as well as a pistol/rifle range and thus must have some provision for allowing privately owned weapons past the gate. They may allow you to check the weapon into their armory for the duration of your stay in SC.

McEntire National Guard Base is also right down the road -- they may have an armory you can stash the firearm in.

You could stay in a hotel off base and leave the firearm in the safe in the room. This is probably the least secure option. It is an irony that gun control efforts increase the risk of theft. I'd make sure that the firearm is insured.

You could secure the firearm in your car (locked case in the trunk), park the car off base, and catch a ride to your son's events on the base (or walk from the gate). Same caveats as the hotel regarding theft.

You could rent a "self store" unit in the local area near the base. There are some really cheap units. Then you just stash the handgun in the self-store unit. This costs money, but can probably be done for less than $50.

Good luck!

stevepk

Contacting the Provost Marshall for instructions sounds the best. I'll only be there for 2 days, maybe just leave it home.