• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun stopping power

NHCGRPR45

I saw that -- out of the Five SeveN. Out of the PS-90 it is significantly faster.

Maybe a gain of 100 fps, still not 3500. I doubt you could force enough propellent into such a small case to get that type of speed. There is a lot of misinformation about this round due to the fact the Brady's named it the "cop killer" round.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
You're right NG, that would cause a certain overpressure. I wouldn't want to be on the same range with a gun that was loaded with such a cartridge. An OCSD deputy told me that you can't get AP rounds for a 5.7 unless you are LEO or military, and even then, they are 5 bucks each.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Written back in 08, have them try it again with Elite Ammunition!

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk Xparent Blue!

Have they changed the size...:D

Some people adhere to the "small caliber high speed" theory of defensive firearms; I'm not one of them. I have no problem, though, to those who believe that pushing a small projectile at a high rate of speed is adequate for defensive rounds. But, my philosophy remains that the largest caliber one can shoot well is almost always a better choice.

r1dramma

The design is completely different, but I can tell you this if carrying 45 or 50 cal. makes you feel safer then by all means carry on!!! I'm not trying to change your mind or anyone else's by that matter, I just find it kind of funny when people post outdated data to disproof something they have no clue about!!!

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
The design is completely different, but I can tell you this if carrying 45 or 50 cal. makes you feel safer then by all means carry on!!! I'm not trying to change your mind or anyone else's by that matter, I just find it kind of funny when people post outdated data to disproof something they have no clue about!!!

I am not trying to "disproof" (sic) anything. I just posted something that I thought interesting. Is there a time limit to valid opinion? Also, I have never said I was knowledgeable about the round; pure conjecture on your part. If you subscribe to a "high fps" philosophy regarding defensive rounds, and you like the performance of the 5.7, by all means carry it. We all have opinions and, quite frankly, there is no handgun that can guarantee "one-shot" stops.
As has been stated before, a .22lr will kill. I saw one kill a bull one time; one shot in the ear was all that was needed. I've also seen where a point blank shot with a 44mag didn't kill (suicide attempt by an acquaintance many years ago).
More important than caliber is shot placement...and even then a handgun is not a perfect tool. I could use a .177 BB gun to kill a BG if he would stand still while I shoot him in the eye... which is the only way I've read about that they can be used effectively for self defense. If you shoot the 5.7 well, then by all means it is relatively "adequate" as firearms go... most likely no worse or better than most other calibers.

I, however, know that under the extreme stress that I most likely will experience in a SD situation, I prefer some room for error and would personally opt for a larger meplat and hope that the larger permanent cavity formed in the person's body negates my poor aim. I also am hoping to have multiple shots. It is more my inadequacy as a shooter that influences my choice in firearms than any supposed inherent deficiencies certain firearms have.

Last edited:

ncwabbit

Five-seveN is sweet to shoot

extremely accurate and with the 10 round extender the firearm is handy against a gaggle of bad guys or a hord of zombies

Brass Fetcher Ballistic Testing has some current superb videos on their site.
quote: Benefits offered by this cartridge include a large number of ‘stowed kills’ – that is, the conceptual combination of the number of cartridges held by a weapon with the effectiveness of each cartridge. Additionally, the cartridges available to the civilian market offer outstanding terminal performance against targets not wearing body armor, with minimal recoil. The ammunition for the 5.7x28mm found through normal commercial channels cannot be expected to defeat Level III-A soft body armor and cause a significant wound to the wearer.unquote.
http://www.brassfetcher.com/5.7x28mm Performance Summary.pdf

wabbit

ps: darn i wish i could even hold the P90...

pps: the cost of the ammo from elite seems quite pricey for a box of 25

Last edited:

r1dramma

I am not trying to "disproof" (sic) anything. I just posted something that I thought interesting. Is there a time limit to valid opinion? Also, I have never said I was knowledgeable about the round; pure conjecture on your part. If you subscribe to a "high fps" philosophy regarding defensive rounds, and you like the performance of the 5.7, by all means carry it. We all have opinions and, quite frankly, there is no handgun that can guarantee "one-shot" stops.
As has been stated before, a .22lr will kill. I saw one kill a bull one time; one shot in the ear was all that was needed. I've also seen where a point blank shot with a 44mag didn't kill (suicide attempt by an acquaintance many years ago).
More important than caliber is shot placement...and even then a handgun is not a perfect tool. I could use a .177 BB gun to kill a BG if he would stand still while I shoot him in the eye... which is the only way I've read about that they can be used effectively for self defense. If you shoot the 5.7 well, then by all means it is relatively "adequate" as firearms go... most likely no worse or better than most other calibers.

I, however, know that under the extreme stress that I most likely will experience in a SD situation, I prefer some room for error and would personally opt for a larger meplat and hope that the larger permanent cavity formed in the person's body negates my poor aim. I also am hoping to have multiple shots. It is more my inadequacy as a shooter that influences my choice in firearms than any supposed inherent deficiencies certain firearms have.

Agreed, hopefully we will be able to keep our families and ourselves safe without ever truly having to find out which calibers work and which one's don't!!!

extremely accurate and with the 10 round extender the firearm is handy against a gaggle of bad guys or a hord of zombies

Brass Fetcher Ballistic Testing has some superb videos on their site.

wabbit

ps: darn i wish i could even hold the P90...

pps: the cost of the ammo from elite seems quite pricey for a box of 25

Elite Ammunition is very pricey, I got lucky and bought some ammo when they were sold 50 rnds to a box!!