• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ME Non-Res renewal

MagsH2

I applied for my ME Non-Res renewal in October. I noticed the check was cashed in early December. I have expired on Jan, 1 2012. I'm still waiting. Does anyone know if the state is running behind? I'll think I'm going to call this week.
Another quick question, I was reading the laws and it seems that a permit doesnt expire if a person applies and it awaiting correspondence. Until the applicant heres if he or she was accepted or denied in writing the permit stays active? Heading to ME tomorrow, can I carry?

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
I applied for my ME Non-Res renewal in October. I noticed the check was cashed in early December. I have expired on Jan, 1 2012. I'm still waiting. Does anyone know if the state is running behind? I'll think I'm going to call this week.Another quick question, I was reading the laws and it seems that a permit doesnt expire if a person applies and it awaiting correspondence. Until the applicant heres if he or she was accepted or denied in writing the permit stays active? Heading to ME tomorrow, can I carry?
Hey, welcome to the Maine section of the forum! You most certainly can carry, but it has to be openly. Also, you can't have it loaded in your vehicle. I would call them, they are behind but legally they are required to issue or deny you within 60 days (pretty sure that's the out of state time frame, correct me if i'm wrong).

mrjam2jab

Hey, welcome to the Maine section of the forum! You most certainly can carry, but it has to be openly. Also, you can't have it loaded in your vehicle. I would call them, they are behind but legally they are required to issue or deny you within 60 days (pretty sure that's the out of state time frame, correct me if i'm wrong).

That is correct. Non-res 60 days.

Flashlight

I complained to my state Senator about the time it is taking. This is the response:

I spoke with the Maine State Police this afternoon. I was told due to the volume of claims it is near impossible to get the claims out by 30 days. In regards to the system, currently we only have one clerk processing over 6,000 claims a year. It takes time, but I ensure you the State Police are doing their best to get these processed as quickly as possible.

The attorney generals' office they will tell you that police don't have to follow the law because there are no consequences for not following it. Basically, the state police, local police and attorney general's office are all in kahoots in breaking the law.

boyscout399

I complained to my state Senator about the time it is taking. This is the response:

I spoke with the Maine State Police this afternoon. I was told due to the volume of claims it is near impossible to get the claims out by 30 days. In regards to the system, currently we only have one clerk processing over 6,000 claims a year. It takes time, but I ensure you the State Police are doing their best to get these processed as quickly as possible.

The attorney generals' office they will tell you that police don't have to follow the law because there are no consequences for not following it. Basically, the state police, local police and attorney general's office are all in kahoots in breaking the law.

Sounds like a good reason to push for an impeachment of the Attorney General to me.

Maine CWP Training

I have heard whispers of revising the statute to 120 days for residents and 150 days for for non residents. Watch out for what you wish for.

boyscout399

I have heard whispers of revising the statute to 120 days for residents and 150 days for for non residents. Watch out for what you wish for.

I've come to hate politicians. Instead of solving the problem, they always kick the can down the road. If they're receiving more apps than one person can handle, they need to get another person. If they have 40 requests coming in a day and she can handle 20 a day, then increasing the timeframe only helps until she gets 120 days behind. She's still falling behind. Fix the problem, don't kick the can down the road. Fund one more employee to process the requests.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate

They use this as a scare tactic. I talked to the head of the State Police in the permitting of concealed carry licenses. She told me that why the town police cannot issue or deny within their designated time frame (30 days) is laughable. She told me that all you have to do is sit down at your computer, type the persons name in and it instantly tells you if they are a criminal or not, then you just issue or deny and 5 seconds later your on to the next. She said that there is more than enough time, and they are just being lazy. Her words not mine.

Maine CWP Training

I had to have Rep. Cebra do battle with them last month for dragging their feet. Boy did he light a fire and taking action... More at 11

boyscout399

The logjam is at the Dorothy Dix Psychiatric hospital.

If Dorothy Dix doesn't give their reply within the time frame, they should issue the permit. The law allows time for research, if they can't complete the research in that timeframe, the permit needs to be issued because they can't find a dis-qualifier in the time frame allotted.