Thread: Saslaw speaks: "Outlook GRIM"

Saslaw speaks: "Outlook GRIM"

Dick expresses concern over "surface-to-air missiles"

Grim Prospects for Richmond Outlined in Town Hall
    Saslaw said he's already seen bills introduced, with a strong chance of becoming law, that are unlike anything he's seen in his 36 previous legislative sessions in Richmond.

"We have three or four Republicans in the senate who are 'approachable'" by Democrats on some of the more extreme issues, he said. Otherwise, on issues like gun control, he said, "You can forget about it. If there was a bill that every house in Virginia should be equipped with a surface-to-air missile, it would pass," he quipped. He noted that the Republican attorney general has said it's OK to carry guns into churches, and while some Republicans are pushing to legalize them on campuses, only because of the fact that the NRA is not pushing that issue, he said, it might fail.
    The NRA is NOT PUSHING this issue? Really?

And who are these so-called Republicans who are 'approachable' -- name names, please, Dick.

Anti-gun Delegate Scott agrees with Saslaw:
    Scott concurred with Saslaw's assessment of the overall situation in Richmond this session. "I've been in the legislature since 1992, and have never seen this kind of imbalance. We're facing issues we haven't had to face before. Our job is to make your lives better," he said, "But we will be fighting to avoid making them worse."
    So, gun rights makes our lives worse? Really?

Their solution to progress appears to be registration:
    Saslaw urged the audience to become more proactive in registering voters. In his 35th District, he noted, 51 percent is Caucasian, 25 percent Hispanic and 12 percent Asian. But while 84 percent of Caucasians are registered to vote, only four percent of Hispanics and eight percent of Asians are. If those numbers were significantly changed, Virginia would become "an entirely different state," he said.

Noting that campaigns now face the added burden of super-PAC money, since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that corporations are citizens, he joked, "I'll believe that corporations are citizens when Texas executes one of them,"

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Dick expresses concern over "surface-to-air missiles"

Grim Prospects for Richmond Outlined in Town Hall

The NRA is NOT PUSHING this issue? Really?

And who are these so-called Republicans who are 'approachable' -- name names, please, Dick.

Anti-gun Delegate Scott agrees with Saslaw:

So, gun rights makes our lives worse? Really?

Their solution to progress appears to be registration:

Founder's Club Member
    Great photoshopping, Nap!

I don't know which is funnier: Dick "Banjo" Saslaw or Senator SAM Saslaw.

Bwahahahahahahahahahaaa!! What a demagogue. Who is so unsophisticated as to actually believes anything this guy says?

Saslaw said he's already seen bills introduced, with a strong chance of becoming law, that are unlike anything he's seen in his 36 previous legislative sessions in Richmond.

"We have three or four Republicans in the senate who are 'approachable'" by Democrats on some of the more extreme issues, he said. Otherwise, on issues like gun control, he said, "You can forget about it. If there was a bill that every house in Virginia should be equipped with a surface-to-air missile, it would pass," he quipped.

And there would be a MASSIVE influx of patriots, avionics enthusiasts, and "gun nuts" to VA if such a bill were to pass, indeed.

In fact, I would move to VA if my house came with SAMs. That would be just too cool...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Senator "Sam" Saslaw still delivering the same ol' message of gloom and doom - nothing to see here. Keep on moving, please.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Speaking of Banjo

I have got to get a "Deliverance" ring tone on the cell phone, just so I can play it as I saunter past Banjo's office.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    And there would be a MASSIVE influx of patriots, avionics enthusiasts, and "gun nuts" to VA if such a bill were to pass, indeed.

In fact, I would move to VA if my house came with SAMs. That would be just too cool...
    Do you mean "Patriot Missles"?
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Gee, I always wanted a SAM to help keep the Black Helicopters away.

Now here is a truly ironic difference in perspective. From the linked article:

"And in the state house, Gov. Bob McDonnell is eyeing a nod as the Republican vice presidential candidate, Saslaw said, which means he isn't going to do anything which could be construed as soft on Democratic-favored issues."

Saslaw and the Democrats see McDonnell as trying to be hard-nosed to impress the National GOP, while local conservative GOP folks see McDonnell as trying very hard to not rock the boat by doing anything "crazy" that would knock him out of contention for the VP spot.

These two points of view cannot both be true!

TFred

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Senator "Sam" Saslaw still delivering the same ol' message of gloom and doom - nothing to see here. Keep on moving, please.
    The nickname is an acronym. For better recognition, it is better all caps as is customary with acronyms: SAM. Senator SAM Saslaw.

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Now here is a truly ironic difference in perspective. From the linked article:

"And in the state house, Gov. Bob McDonnell is eyeing a nod as the Republican vice presidential candidate, Saslaw said, which means he isn't going to do anything which could be construed as soft on Democratic-favored issues."

Saslaw and the Democrats see McDonnell as trying to be hard-nosed to impress the National GOP, while local conservative GOP folks see McDonnell as trying very hard to not rock the boat by doing anything "crazy" that would knock him out of contention for the VP spot.

These two points of view cannot both be true!

TFred
    Unless you are Governor Bob from the greaaaat state of Virginia!

Don't forget that Virginia had their Tories too and they considered themselves loyal and true. Bob McDonnell isn't likely to become the 73rd Great Virginian following this path.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Great photoshopping, Nap!

I don't know which is funnier: Dick "Banjo" Saslaw or Senator SAM Saslaw.

Bwahahahahahahahahahaaa!! What a demagogue. Who is so unsophisticated as to actually believes anything this guy says?
    I agree! I love that movie; saw it many years ago. No doubt some statists might think a ban on Fluoride would be in the public interest.

Slim Pickens. A great actor. I guess Saslaw gets "slim" pickins' this Session. Sweet Justice.

I agree! I love that movie;
    Oh, I thought he was talking about Banjo needs a job. I made that during lunch a couple of weeks ago,

Janet Howell is upset

Which is good:

N. Virginia loses its clout in state Senate
    Northern Virginia has held considerable sway in the state Capitol for the past four years as Democrats from the region dominated the Senate.

Six of the Senate’s 11 committees, where chairmen decide the fate of legislation, were led by Northern Virginians. The majority leader, decider of which measures are actually voted on, was from Fairfax.

All that has changed.

Now there’s not a single Northern Virginian at the helm of a committee. The majority leader hails from Hampton Roads. And on top of that, two powerful, longtime senators from Northern Virginia retired.

Many in Northern Virginia’s delegation fear they’ve lost the power to stop bills that hurt it.

But now Northern Virginians feel like they’ve been shown the door.

“Northern Virginians have definitely lost influence,” said Sen. Janet D. Howell (D-Fairfax), who lost her chairmanship of the Senate Privileges and Elections Committee ...

“Last year, we had 24 bills coming over from the House of Delegates that were anti-immigrant, and we have no idea at this point if we can defeat them [this year],” Howell said.

As a committee chairwoman, Howell said, she did her greatest service to Northern Virginians by stopping what her constituents considered “bad legislation,” such as proposals to expand gun rights or nullify federal legislation.

“When I’m in Northern Virginia, the issues I ran are very clear. And then I get on 95, and about the time I get to Kings Dominion, I go off into the twilight zone,” Howell said. “Attitudes are different, issues are different, approach is different.”

Sen. Richard L. Saslaw (D-Fairfax), who was the Senate majority leader and is now minority leader, shares the view that the region will not suffer — but for very different reasons.

“Trust me, we’re unified,” he said. “There’s some pretty hard feelings there.”
    So, all the former power-brokers on the Left are whining now. They want us to play nice.

This paragraph from the Post is especially offensive to all of us in the "Rest of Virginia" and perhaps illustrates the sorry attitude of NoVa Democrats:
    Northern Virginia senators also worry about their ability to block legislation on social issues that play very differently in the more racially diverse, better-educated and liberal Washington suburbs than in more rural parts of the state.
    "Better-Educated" - really? So what, we're a bunch of white bitter-clinger country bumpkins? So legislation that would help Virginians defend themselves is "bad legislation" and gun rights are "social issues" that offend the sensibilities of you "Progressives"[sic]?

You want compromise? Well for starters, how about apologizing for the lawlessness of the past 2 Sessions?

"Better-Educated" - really? So what, we're a bunch of white bitter-clinger country bumpkins? So legislation that would help Virginians defend themselves is "bad legislation" and gun rights are "social issues" that offend the sensibilities of you "Progressives"[sic]?
    Of course. It comes right from the very top. We cling to our guns and our religion. And no administration has broken more laws and defied the Constitution than the current one.

TFred

Weird! When I shook my magic Saslaw it said "Reply hazy, try again."
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by ChinChin View Post
    Weird! When I shook my magic Saslaw it said "Reply hazy, try again."
    That explains it he has shaken baby syndrome!

"Background checks save lives"

Lori Haas would have legislators believe that "Background checks save lives" ...

Guns laws get backed, bashed at legislature
    One group of citizens roaming the Capitol to lobby legislators yesterday wore orange stickers that read “Guns save lives.”
    On the lapels of another group were stickers reading “Background checks save lives.”

In the back of the crowd stood Lori Haas, who became a gun-control advocate after her daughter was wounded in the 2007 Virginia Tech shooting.

She is affiliated with several groups—including the Virginia Center for Public Safety and the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, and said they oppose most of the bills Van Cleave supports.

“We think the laws on the books are reasonable,” Haas said. “In no way, shape or form do we need to weaken the laws in Virginia.”

Colin Goddard, who was also injured in the Virginia Tech shooting, spoke. He said that if an armed citizenry were the antidote to gun violence, America “should already be the safest place in the world.

“Guns are not the solution to gun violence,” Goddard said.

Sen. Don McEachin, D–Richmond, said he plans to introduce a bill that will expand background checks on gun purchasers. He would require all purchasers to undergo a background check—currently a buyer does not need a background check if buying from a private seller.

McEachin said it was important to make sure people who aren’t allowed to buy guns—former criminals, the mentally ill and others—don’t get them, and to ensure that “we don’t accidentally arm terrorists.”
    But it's okay for former criminals and terrorists to vote?

McEachin already filed the bill: SB 379.
    Criminalizes private sales. Haas and Goddard need to go away. They are both completely out of touch with reality.

Quote Originally Posted by mk4 View Post
    McEachin already filed the bill: SB 379.
    Criminalizes private sales. Haas and Goddard need to go away. They are both completely out of touch with reality.
    Notice Haas didn't even come out of the building today. Saslaw did to speak to the Special needs people, but I think he left after that.

I find it crazy that "Jim Crow" gun laws are going to be brought back by a black democrat. Shame on McEachin!

Inside secret - the new buzz phrase for the antis in Virginia is "We Are Virginia" - like 3 dozen people represent to whole state?

Much more to the point is that we represent the will of the people. More truth that VCDL and friends here are worthy of the tag "WE ARE VIRGINA!" Self defense is a right that is real, not a dream, not imagined.

I think what has Lori and Colin so upset is that they know they are on a losing team and nobody likes to be a loser.

How I wish I could hear such laments from the antis and lefties in MO...

Dick is not happy???

Well golly gee. Anytime Dick Saslaw is not happy I know he is not chipping away at my Constitutional rights!

Sadly now Dandy Don McEachin is trying to back door legislation to outlaw private gun sales, but that is another thread about another politician that wants to reduce my Constitutional rights.

Seems there is no end to the Democrats that want to do that?

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    Well golly gee. Anytime Dick Saslaw is not happy I know he is not chipping away at my Constitutional rights!

Sadly now Dandy Don McEachin is trying to back door legislation to outlaw private gun sales, but that is another thread about another politician that wants to reduce my Constitutional rights.

Seems there is no end to the Democrats that want to do that?
    Republicans, too. The criminals in government who will trade your rights and mine for a vote or a campaign donation are legion and over-populate both parties.

Just in the last few sessions, we've had Republicans refuse to support pro-sefl-defense bills. It was so bad at one point in the last few years, VCDL had to go after them.

VCDL has spent years--years--building enough members to have clout at the GA. What does that tell you? That too much of the GA wouldn't support an enumerated right unless plenty of citizens came knocking? It took numbers to get their attention.
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-17-2012 at 03:15 AM.