• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Update on Virginia CHP holder Gerald Ung

TFred

For those who have been around a while, you will recall the case of Gerald Ung, a Virginia resident, CHP-holder and law student in Philadelphia who was forced to use his pistol late one night to defend himself and his friends from a drunken gang of bar-hopping Lacrosse frat jocks.

After the jury almost instantly acquitted Ung of the ridiculous charges brought against him by the Philly DA (the shot jock's daddy is a well connected lawyer in town...) it appears that these losers are now suing pretty much everybody that had anything to do with the incident that night.

There's a special place in "you know where" for people like this.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-op...gerald-ung-5-bars-being-sued-civil-court.html

(For those who are relatively new, here's a thread with the back story.)

Best of luck to Gerald Ung. If only there were true justice in our judicial system these days.

TFred

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Great thread over there at PFOA. Best wishes to Ung.

Just a separate observation, I got a laff out of one their members tag lines: "I'm so fast I can bump fire a bolt action."

Now, that's fast.

:)

Last edited:

Neplusultra

It would also seem that Ung has an easy out in this suit since the suit is blaming the bars for what happened. It the plaintiff is not responsible for his actions due to the bars serving him alcohol then logically neither is Ung..... This just gets deeper and deeper :^).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Another bump in the road of life for an honest and legal citizen.

Neither freedom nor justice are free.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The PAFOA has a link to "Under the Law" http://abovethelaw.com/2012/01/dido...e-temple-law-shooter-gets-hit-with-a-lawsuit/ which provides some excellent analysis and background about the civil case.

BUT THAT'S NOT MY REASON for referring to it. Look at the two photos they use! The plaintiff (poor soul, he got shot) in suitcoat & tie, while the defendant (scum shot the poor fella) is in a t-shirt and looks like he has spent some unpleasant time being deprived of sleep.

I hope that Ung's attorney uses that prejudicial difference to his advantage - say in seating a jury?

And if I remember correctly the criminal case hinged on disparity of force & numbers, so DiDonato alleging that his companions were drunk yet served by all those evil bars seems to counter his own case. Anybody want to explain to me why that is not so?

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
One more of the million and one reasons to..

NEVER GO NORTH !
COMPASS-1.jpg

Last edited:

paramedic70002

I love that compass!

Interesting that the poor 'victims' visited 5 bars that night.

I know this is a complex question, and we are talking about PA, but how exactly does lawful self defense factor into a civil trial?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

NEVER GO NORTH !

Now, you know that doesn't work. Even if you don't go north, they will come South if they don't like want you are doing. They proved that in 1861.

Or, as the French statesman Clemenceau said when asked why he was so suspicious of the Germans: "I have never been to Germany, but the Germans have been to France twice in my lifetime."

Thundar

One Last Northeastern Redoubt

NEVER GO NORTH !
COMPASS-1.jpg

Peter,

It is true that most of what is North is Indian country, but...

There is a land far north of here where liberty is still more important than security. Open carry is welcomed and the people live free. It is bound by the Connecticut River on the west, Lake Winnepesakee to the south, Halls Creek and people who speak a foreign language to the North and the Maniac border to the east.

Their motto is live free or die and the oldest cider mill in the world still makes great mash there. They hunt moose, not deer, and at the top of Mount Washington it has snowed on the 4th of July.

Still rural, still god fearing, still very pro gun and pro individual liberty.

No state income tax and no state sales tax. No BATFE office within 50 miles.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Peter,

It is true that most of what is North is Indian country, but...

There is a land far north of here where liberty is still more important than security. Open carry is welcomed and the people live free. It is bound by the Connecticut River on the west, Lake Winnepesakee to the south, Halls Creek and people who speak a foreign language to the North and the Maniac border to the east.

Their motto is live free or die and the oldest cider mill in the world still makes great mash there. They hunt moose, not deer, and at the top of Mount Washington it has snowed on the 4th of July.

Still rural, still god fearing, still very pro gun and pro individual liberty.

No state income tax and no state sales tax. No BATFE office within 50 miles.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

Spent a lot of time there when I was bumming as ski instructor/patrol. The NH women are great, but there are way too many Maine people moving there. Never could get along with those opinionated Mainaics.:uhoh:
Of course, that was 40 years ago....so it's probably worse now.

No, I doubt I'll ever leave Virginia (Not NOVA) again except an occasional skip into NC.

Last edited:

The Wolfhound

Buffer Zone

I always looked upon Maryland (technically part of Dixie, as its Northern border IS the Mason-Dixon Line) as the Buffer Zone between Virginia and "The North". It is a shame it got overrun. Now NOVA is suffering the same fate.