Thread: collapsable baton

collapsable baton

In the new concealed carry law in Wi it states you can carry a billy club if you have a concealed carry permit.Would a collapsable baton be a billy club or same thing?

Founder's Club Member
    You might have to go at that one backwards.

First, is it illegal to carry a collapsible baton? Any regulations or prohibitions at all, OC or CC?

If it is regulated or prohibited, does the CCW statute expressly exempt a collapsible baton from the regulation or prohibition on the part of permit holders?

If the CCW statute does not expressly exempt a collapsible baton by name from an earlier regulation or prohibition, then I'm thinking the door is open to interpretation--by the cops and courts. Meaning a cop could say, "Aha! A collapsible baton is not a billy club, therefore you are illegally carrying a collapsible baton. Put your hands behind your back." And, a judge just might agree with the cop. That would be a little too open to interpretation by cops and courts for my comfort.
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-15-2012 at 04:35 AM.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Searching Wisconsin Statutes (trivial at this hour), there is one hit on "billy club" in 175.60, created by Act 35. There is also one hit on "baton", in 341.26(2)(em) on carrying baton-twirlers in a motor-bus. There are four hits on some form of the word 'collapse', all associated with the word 'structure'.

Herr Heckler Koch
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ght=billy+club

Quote Originally Posted by The_Pennsylvanian View Post
    I have been trying to find a legal definition by the DOJ as to what constitutes as a "Billy club". Do they mean an old school Monadnock police baton, a lead filled leather sap or "blackjack", a "hickory tire knocker" that one can pick up a virtually any truckstop, or one of those collapsible or folding batons that police carry ? I would be interest mostly in the latter.

I have had no luck finding a particular cite on this matter. Can anyone help me out, please ?

Billy club is not defined. So, a stick could be a billy club. If it's something not restricted, I would 'ASSUME' it's a billyclub.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by GlocksRfun View Post
    Billy club is not defined. So, a stick could be a billy club. If it's something not restricted, I would 'ASSUME' it's a billyclub.
    AND it can be concealed. "Is that a Louisville Slugger down your pant leg or are you just glad to see me..."
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Cops carry them as part of their duty gear, so I would say it is not something exotic and legal under current laws, but this is just my opinion, based on no laws specifically prohibiting them as one finds with switchblades and butterfly knives

Before getting my permission slip, my collapsible baton (ASP) was known as my "Tire inflation verification tool" and it resided next to the drivers seat of my truck, on top of a d-cell maglite.

It appears to be yet another part of the law no one can straight out answer with any certainty.My guess is if people are afraid to discuss it,its best to stay away from it and not do it

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Smile Don't give up just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by revolverrandy View Post
    It appears to be yet another part of the law no one can straight out answer with any certainty.My guess is if people are afraid to discuss it,its best to stay away from it and not do it
    Suit yourself, but as Herr Heckler posted, it has been discussed at length. If you still have any questions after reading that thread, bring 'em back here and we'll try to answer them with the meager information we have at hand.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.