• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

collapsable baton

revolverrandy

In the new concealed carry law in Wi it states you can carry a billy club if you have a concealed carry permit.Would a collapsable baton be a billy club or same thing?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
You might have to go at that one backwards.

First, is it illegal to carry a collapsible baton? Any regulations or prohibitions at all, OC or CC?

If it is regulated or prohibited, does the CCW statute expressly exempt a collapsible baton from the regulation or prohibition on the part of permit holders?

If the CCW statute does not expressly exempt a collapsible baton by name from an earlier regulation or prohibition, then I'm thinking the door is open to interpretation--by the cops and courts. Meaning a cop could say, "Aha! A collapsible baton is not a billy club, therefore you are illegally carrying a collapsible baton. Put your hands behind your back." And, a judge just might agree with the cop. That would be a little too open to interpretation by cops and courts for my comfort.

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Searching Wisconsin Statutes (trivial at this hour), there is one hit on "billy club" in § 175.60, created by Act 35. There is also one hit on "baton", in § 341.26(2)(em) on carrying baton-twirlers in a motor-bus. There are four hits on some form of the word 'collapse', all associated with the word 'structure'.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...as-it-pertains-to-Act-35&highlight=billy+club

I have been trying to find a legal definition by the DOJ as to what constitutes as a "Billy club". Do they mean an old school Monadnock police baton, a lead filled leather sap or "blackjack", a "hickory tire knocker" that one can pick up a virtually any truckstop, or one of those collapsible or folding batons that police carry ? I would be interest mostly in the latter.

I have had no luck finding a particular cite on this matter. Can anyone help me out, please ?

GlocksRfun

Billy club is not defined. So, a stick could be a billy club. If it's something not restricted, I would 'ASSUME' it's a billyclub.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Cops carry them as part of their duty gear, so I would say it is not something exotic and legal under current laws, but this is just my opinion, based on no laws specifically prohibiting them as one finds with switchblades and butterfly knives

Before getting my permission slip, my collapsible baton (ASP) was known as my "Tire inflation verification tool" and it resided next to the drivers seat of my truck, on top of a d-cell maglite.

revolverrandy

It appears to be yet another part of the law no one can straight out answer with any certainty.My guess is if people are afraid to discuss it,its best to stay away from it and not do it

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Don't give up just yet.

It appears to be yet another part of the law no one can straight out answer with any certainty.My guess is if people are afraid to discuss it,its best to stay away from it and not do it
Suit yourself, but as Herr Heckler posted, it has been discussed at length. If you still have any questions after reading that thread, bring 'em back here and we'll try to answer them with the meager information we have at hand. :dude: