• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AP quotes OpenCarry.org's John Pierce re upswing in open carry in Detroit

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.freep.com/article/201201...-educates-public-open-carry-?odyssey=nav|head

SNIP

Detroit resident educates public on 'open carry'

The Glock 9 mm holstered on Sharonda Hawkins' hip is there for the Detroit mother's personal protection.

On occasion — while shopping or pumping gas — when her blouse or shirt rides up a bit, sight of the pistol also serves as a warning to anyone thinking of making Hawkins a crime victim.

"I've had situations where young men — and it was probably in their minds to rob me — when they see that I have a gun they move on," said Hawkins, 47. "I think my gun is a deterrent. It may have saved me more times than I realize."

Hawkins said violent crime in the city prompted her to get a concealed weapons permit a few years ago. She didn't know that Michigan law allows legally licensed gun owners to openly carry their weapons under certain circumstances.

"A large percentage of people don't even know it's legal," said 44-year-old open carry advocate and firearms instructor Rick Ector.

Last year, Ector held a dinner for open carry supporters at a city restaurant and a picnic at Detroit's Belle Isle park. About 100 people — packing pistols — showed up for each event.

"We are not saying you have to open carry. We just want to educate you that it's an option," said Ector, of Detroit.

He said the U.S. Constitution and Michigan laws allow people who own guns legally to bear them openly and points to crime in Detroit as why they should.

. . .

"When police see my gun, they'll come up to you sometimes and they'll talk to you about it," Ector added. "I take it that it's more or less to size you up, to see if you are thorough in your understanding of the law. Law enforcement has no desire to educate people about their rights when it comes to firearms."

Twenty-eight states allow the open carrying of firearms without any government permission, according to John Pierce, founder and spokesman of OpenCarry.org.
. . .

MKEgal

"When police see my gun, they'll come up to you sometimes and they'll talk to you about it," Ector added. "I take it that it's more or less to size you up, to see if you are thorough in your understanding of the law. Law enforcement has no desire to educate people about their rights when it comes to firearms."
Ain't that the truth, for any right.
And they size people up to see who they can mess with with relative immunity.
Wouldn't it be nice if citizens could grill them on their understanding of the law with impunity?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Wouldn't it be nice if citizens could grill them on their understanding of the law with impunity?

Lol, I do. Not intentionally. It's usually in casual conversation, along the lines of, "Of course, according to the PD's General Orders, it's X, Y, and Z, right?"

<blink>

<blink> <blink>