• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

examiner.com - Gun rights group to hold rally, gun giveaway at Va. Capitol on MLK day

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...-gun-giveaway-at-va-capitol-square-on-mlk-day

SNIP

According to the anti-gun rights group Brady Campaign, Virginia's gun laws are more restrictive than 34 other states. And now a fiesty gun rights group wants to do somthing about it.

The Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) will rally at Virginia's Capitol Square in Richmond on Monday 16 January, 2012 (Martin Luther King Day). The purpose of the event is to lobby legislators to pass key gun rights reforms this legislative session.

. . .

Related articles at http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-washington-dc/mike-stollenwerk

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
And now a fiesty gun rights group wants to do somthing about it.

IIRC VCDL has been "doing something about it" since somewhere around 1993.

But the publicity is nice,

stay safe.

Old Virginia Joe

I just read a VCDL alert which stated that people eligible for the 50 cal drawing include NOT ONLY paid-up VCDL members, BUT "anybody who requested a free ticket" will automatically be in the drawing. WHAT?? I thought this was a plan to increase paid-up memberships! If so, then why are we avoiding the restriction on VCDL membership by just including any body who wants a free ticket? I don't get it . . . . .

TFred

I just read a VCDL alert which stated that people eligible for the 50 cal drawing include NOT ONLY paid-up VCDL members, BUT "anybody who requested a free ticket" will automatically be in the drawing. WHAT?? I thought this was a plan to increase paid-up memberships! If so, then why are we avoiding the restriction on VCDL membership by just including any body who wants a free ticket? I don't get it . . . . .
It's probably for the same reason that all the other major raffle or sweepstakes-type contests have the same provision in their rules as well. I don't think you can require a purchase to participate in a drawing, or else it falls under a gambling category.

If you check the fine print on almost every large contest, you will see that you can enter not only by buying the product or service advertised, but also by sending your name on a 3x5 card, to a certain address, etc.

I'm not a sweepstakes law expert, but that's what I've read. :)

TFred

scouser

I'm just guessing but perhaps to avoid misclassification of the raffle they have to allow an alternate means of entry, I think there might be something similar behind the 'no purchase necessary' statement on a lot of raffles

I see TFred has beaten me to that answer, but seeing someone else has the same reasoning makes me think that must be why

Last edited:

Old Virginia Joe

Whenever I have purchased a ticket for a raffle, I have never heard of this concern for what it might be considered or construed as. As far as I know, a raffle is a raffle, and if you don't buy a ticket, or belong to the club membership, you ain't got a chance of winning anything! It ain't gambling, it's fundraising!

I don't know where all this mess got started. Never heard of such . . . . . .

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm just guessing but perhaps to avoid misclassification of the raffle they have to allow an alternate means of entry, I think there might be something similar behind the 'no purchase necessary' statement on a lot of raffles

I see TFred has beaten me to that answer, but seeing someone else has the same reasoning makes me think that must be why

Simple/short answer to the "why" of this is really neither so simple nor so short, but are you ready for it......ready yet?

OK, here it is: Ask the Virginia Gaming Commission.
http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/gaming/guidance.shtml

Old Virginia Joe

As of now, I am proposing we start a new website: ORDO (Open Raffle Dot Org), where will will promote the freedom of raffle, and work to end unconstitutional limits on our right to conduct raffles to fund raise and promote memberships in organizations!

This is more of this foolishness of the government getting in EVERY aspect of our lives, where we keep allowing them to intrude. Remember, we today are under ALOT more oppressive government regulation than our founding colonist fathers were under in 1775, and they were men enough to say THAT's IT! No MORE! Get off my BACK! They fought a major war, for much LESS oppression than we suffer today. What is wrong with US? (present OCDO/VCDL members excepted).

I was cited by my county this past fall for occasionally sleeping in a camper on my farm, between deer hunting efforts, right near my brick house. Same thing. . . . .

Felix

I was cited by my county this past fall for occasionally sleeping in a camper on my farm, between deer hunting efforts, right near my brick house. Same thing. . . . .

Must be more to this, Vet. Was it alleged you were hunting outside the legal hunting hours, or what?

Old Virginia Joe

Must be more to this, Vet. Was it alleged you were hunting outside the legal hunting hours, or what?

Absolutely not. No hunting issues at all. It is just that Isle of Wight County, Va., prohibits ANY sleeping in ANY camper, tent, cabin, or RV outside approved campgrounds. They call it "living quarters," temporary or permanent. Period. Even includes a tent in your yard with your kids, they said when I asked. Even included in the charges was the fact that the camper, parked in a field, had expired DMV tags and inspection! Not even on the road! It is so petty, I understand you doubt it, but it is true. Was a big story on me and this in the Smithfield Times on Jan 4. I wrote User about it, but I cannot afford the rates. Enforcement by threat of prosecution is how the govt gets us. . . . . .

Felix

Thanks for the follow-up, OVJ. That's a crazy interpretation of a reg which surely wasn't intended, when written, to apply to RVs parked in a rural area on the owner's own land. What is this country coming to?

Old Virginia Joe

Thanks for the follow-up, OVJ. That's a crazy interpretation of a reg which surely wasn't intended, when written, to apply to RVs parked in a rural area on the owner's own land. What is this country coming to?

I sent the news story to you via PM--check it out (2). Sad indeed, but I am working to fix this law/ordinance.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Got it, OVJ.

Thanks again!

That was one of the issues discussed at the General Assembly when I disarmed and went in the building on Wednesday, Felix. It's being looked into.
The county appears to have overstepped the state limits on several items.

Last edited:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
It's probably for the same reason that all the other major raffle or sweepstakes-type contests have the same provision in their rules as well. I don't think you can require a purchase to participate in a drawing, or else it falls under a gambling category.
hit-the-nail-on-the-head.jpg

Old Virginia Joe

That was one of the issues discussed at the General Assembly when I disarmed and went in the building on Wednesday, Felix. It's being looked into.
The county appears to have overstepped the state limits on several items.

Peter Nap---What ?!?! Do tell if you know something about my personal situation? Please PM me if you know something about this. This is the first I have heard of any such crack down on my county of Isle of Wight. I told my new delegate about it MLK day, and he said he wanted to do something about it, but you say LAST Wednesday? Please update me. Thanks.

OVJ