• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rifle carrying - hiking/camping

jdholmes

My wife wants to get into some camping and hiking through our Las Vegas area and out around Nevada, Colorado river etc......

Will there be any issues with open carrying a little .22 rifle until we get a handgun?

28kfps

On thing different from hand guns. In NV with long guns while in a vehicle you cannot have a round in the chamber.

jdholmes

Sweet. I had read somewhere online that it is prohibited to carry loaded firearms in state/national parks but that you can in state forests...I figured it may be misinformation. Another place I read that you may get hassled because they assume with a rifle you may be a poacher...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
There are no longer any restrictions on National Parks. All now follow the state laws of where they are. So you are good to go here.

As for game wardens, well, I'm as curious as you are. Even when actually hunting, I've never run across one. I must get too far back into the woods or something.

ManInBlack

Sweet. I had read somewhere online that it is prohibited to carry loaded firearms in state/national parks but that you can in state forests...I figured it may be misinformation. Another place I read that you may get hassled because they assume with a rifle you may be a poacher...

National parks now, as national forests, honor state law when it comes to the possession of firearms. I don't know the laws/regulations for Nevada state parks or forests or if state preemption trumps any such laws/regulations.

As for the poaching thing, if it is legal to openly carry a loaded long gun in any public place and there are no special game laws to the contrary (as is the case here in Idaho), don't sweat it. As long as you are not aiming your weapon at any animal that requires a license to hunt, discharging it (in a national forest ONLY) in an unsafe manner, or handling it unsafely, a LEO has no RAS to stop and detain you.

jdholmes

Thanks for the great info! Anyone know if Arizona operates the same? I was planning on doing a little camping along the Colorado river on their side.

jdholmes

Will do...i know they are constitutional carry, so one would think they would be at least as accommodating as NV and maybe more.

28kfps

Camping at Windsor campground Lake Havasu, a AZ state campground a few months ago. Open carried as I was paying my entrance fee on a motorcycle. Left-hander as I was paying, passing money, and entrance ticket right over the top of my firearm. Open carried in the Kathrin’s Lading campground and Cotton Wood Cove campgrounds both on a motorcycle both are in the Lake Mead national Recreation area. Need to remember, no firearms allowed in the buildings. No issues at any of the campgrounds.

jdholmes

That's great...a lot of what we are planning is going to be primitive camping with no facilities, so we shouldn't have issue with buildings. Thanks again!