Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Detective's point of view on the OC issue

Detective's point of view on the OC issue

From the detective's point of view, "I believe open carry is stupid because 'professional gun fighters (i.e, cops)' don't open carry when off duty. Open carry is bad because it is an invitation for someone to take it from you, and civilians are not trained in weapon retention."

What I take from his opinion. People should want to conceal carry because that is what our 'professionals' are doing. They wouldn't open carry without their badge so, neither should you. Open carry is an invitation for trouble to find you.

It was a short conversation in all, not a lot discussed other than him asking the question 'why would anyone want to open carry'. Evidently he doesn't believe that a gun can be used as a deterrent.

I thought it would be worth asking him his opinion though. Sorry the 'interview' wasn't more extensive. I can always asking other questions if anyone has them.

Actually, should this thread be moved to the 'Open Carry' forum?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Uh...who in the hell are we talking about?

Wink

Cops..."professional gunfighters"?

Bwahahahahahaha!

I would rather not identify the detective because I would not want to piss this guy off. I guess I can say he is with Albemarle county.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterP99 View Post
    I would rather not identify the detective because I would not want to piss this guy off. I guess I can say he is with Albemarle county.
    OK....Different people take different things from LEO's that give that kind of information.

Some people even believe it...generally the same folks that know for a fact Rattlesnakes
    are cross breeding with Blacksnakes.
    Last edited by peter nap; 01-15-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Founder's Club Member
    From the detective's point of view, "I believe open carry is stupid because 'professional gun fighters (i.e, cops)' don't open carry when off duty. Open carry is bad because it is an invitation for someone to take it from you, and civilians are not trained in weapon retention."
    Uhh, hold on a second. OC is stupid because cops don't open carry when off duty? Oh? Like detectives and government set the standard for rights?

What a brilliant piece of arrogant a$$hat we have in this detective. I would have said, "Well, I would prefer CC. Here's why..." But, oh, no. Not this detective. He's not content to supply info about pros and cons and let the asker figure out for himself how to exercise an enumerated right. Nope. Its stupid if you don't do it his way. And, you're probably stupid too.

And, gee, there are just sooooo many gun grabs that it should be plain to anybody who isn't stupid that CC is the only way to go, rather than training everybody who wants training on weapon retention.

Actually, I've changed my mind. I do think the police and government set the standard for what is stupid. They seem to be uniquely qualified for that. Maybe they'll give us some more standards for stupidity.
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-15-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Founder's Club Member
    I was gonna ask the OPer not to post anymore opinions from detectives, but I've decided this is kinda entertaining. Kinda like that old TV show about "Kids Say The Darnedest Things". Only this is "Cops Say The Most Hilariously Stupid Things."

Who is our next guest host? Who will ask a cop a question to get his opinion?

I put both socks on first, and then my shoes, as opposed to right sock, right shoe, left sock, left shoe.

Can you ask the Dick which way he does it so I may start to do it the proper way as well?

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    I put both socks on first, and then my shoes, as opposed to right sock, right shoe, left sock, left shoe.

Can you ask the Dick which way he does it so I may start to do it the proper way as well?
    Unless you have received professional sock-retention training, you are stupid to put on your own socks.
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-15-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Be nice guys!
    That's one of the only remaining professions left that you can go into with the same qualifications as a McDonalds worker, physique of Tiny Tim, get a job sitting on your ass and looking snotty, and get paid ninety grand a year.

Ain't America Grand!

Halleluja!

Last edited by peter nap; 01-15-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Thumbs up +1

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Unless you have received professional sock-retention training, you are stupid to put on your own socks.
    LMAO ....

See - they, some "LEO's" see things from a offensive view point, which is why they & Bad Guys insist on CC. It's the best way to attack someone that is unaware. They OC while on duty so they can defend themselves easier; whether they will admit it or not. They carry OC on duty for defense as we do for our everyday protection. Who's smart now?
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 01-16-2012 at 12:27 AM. Reason: add comments
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen
    I was gonna ask the OPer not to post anymore opinions from detectives, but I've decided this is kinda entertaining.
    +1
    I needed something to laugh about, & you all have done it, several times.
    Keep 'em coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

The good Detective is entitled to his opinion.

The next time you run into him, ask him with all his experience (Detectives generally have a few or more years under their belt) how many times to his personal knowledge has a civilian been disarmed by a criminal, that leads him to believe it is a problem. I'm guessing... one.

Then ask him how often uniformed LEOs get disarmed, since they have advanced gun retention training and security holsters.

Maybe a light will come on, probably not.
    Last edited by paramedic70002; 01-16-2012 at 01:49 AM.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Umm the departments I know...its a policy saying they have to conceal if off duty...TA DA that's why they don't open carry unless on duty with a badge showing.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

My response, "Hmmm... Thanks for your non-legal personal OPINION detective, but why dont you hold on to it. I am quite happy with my own regarding how I choose to exercise my rights. I really don't require yours.

Hey, but you might have a PROFESSIONAL opinion I might be curious about! Do you think jelly or cream filled is best?

Have a GREAT day!"

Snotty? Yes, but if the quote is verbatim the reply would be deserved.

"I believe open carry is stupid because 'professional gun fighters (i.e, cops)' don't open carry when off duty. Open carry is bad because it is an invitation for someone to take it from you, and civilians are not trained in weapon retention."
    This is a "very" arrogant statement. Not trained in weapons retention obviously you know this is not the case since you saw I had a Level II holster on at breakfast yesterday.

Professional Gunfighter?!?! <---- Since most cops could not hit the broadside of a barn at 10 meters
    "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again"

Guys lets go a little easy on JesterP99 as well I agree with everyone that the detective's comment was well ridiculous. I personally met with JesterP99 yesterday for breakfast he seems like a good young guy. He seems to be generally interested in OC'ing however he has many concerns living with a father who is a cop and who is against OC.

Jester:

IMHO I would not post on here anymore things that cops, detectives, meter maids, dispatchers tell you that is against OC especially something as ridiculous as what this detective has said. Everyone on here knows there are a "few" select cops that think that we are inferior to them. Just as much as we all know that their are idiots in colleges that think banning the lawful possession of firearms on campus will make them safer. This is a forum dedicated to "Open Carry" not against it. We do not push our believes onto anyone which just ask that you respect it. Sure we like to see other people open carry but it is your choice if you choose to or not.
    "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again"

Last edited by sawah; 01-16-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Well, this is the same guy who once told me that V-neck t-shirts were absolutely stupid and that I should burn the ones that I have. Did I listen to him? No, I went home and wore my v-neck t-shirts.

But, at least he gave a reason why. At least you can say, well that is stupid because...

And, by the way, although I don't agree with his opinions, I do have to maintain a degree of professionalism and not tell him to go shove it.

So, for some of you, it was a laugh to read, and for others it was good way to argue the point that OC is not a problem.

The detective's "professional opinion' reminded me of comedian Ron White's comment to his Brother In Law.

"Next time you have a thought,....... let it go."
    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

Professional gunfighter

lulz!

If police are professional gunfighters then the standards to being a professional are extremely low.

IMO the vast majority of police are sub-par shooters. I see lots of police at a local range and I am very disappointed in their shooting prowess, or lack there of. there are a couple of superb shooters but they are the exception rather than the norm.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix David View Post
    If police are professional gunfighters then the standards to being a professional are extremely low.

IMO the vast majority of police are sub-par shooters. I see lots of police at a local range and I am very disappointed in their shooting prowess, or lack there of. there are a couple of superb shooters but they are the exception rather than the norm.

+1

Where oh where is that article I read that compares police to civilian hit ratios? Lets just say that the police have some work to do.

I did find this:

http://actionamerica.org/guns/guns1.shtml

That still sounds high. So let's look at it in a different light. According to a study byNewsweek magazine, only 2% of civilian shootings involve an innocent person being shot (not killed). The error rate for police is 11%. What this means is that you are more than 5 times more likely to be accidentally shot by a policeman than by an armed citizen. But, when you consider that citizens shoot and kill at least twice as many criminals as do police every year, it means that, per capita, you are more than 11 times more likely to be accidentally shot by a policeman than by an armed citizen. That is as low as I can get that number.
    And this:

Cato Policy Analysis No. 284 ( http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=1143&full=1 ) by Jeff Snyder states the cops are 11 times more likely to shot the wrong person than a "civilian."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast