• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detective's point of view on the OC issue

JesterP99

From the detective's point of view, "I believe open carry is stupid because 'professional gun fighters (i.e, cops)' don't open carry when off duty. Open carry is bad because it is an invitation for someone to take it from you, and civilians are not trained in weapon retention."

What I take from his opinion. People should want to conceal carry because that is what our 'professionals' are doing. They wouldn't open carry without their badge so, neither should you. Open carry is an invitation for trouble to find you.

It was a short conversation in all, not a lot discussed other than him asking the question 'why would anyone want to open carry'. Evidently he doesn't believe that a gun can be used as a deterrent.

I thought it would be worth asking him his opinion though. Sorry the 'interview' wasn't more extensive. I can always asking other questions if anyone has them.

JesterP99

I would rather not identify the detective because I would not want to piss this guy off. I guess I can say he is with Albemarle county.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I would rather not identify the detective because I would not want to piss this guy off. I guess I can say he is with Albemarle county.
OK....Different people take different things from LEO's that give that kind of information.

Some people even believe it...generally the same folks that know for a fact Rattlesnakes
are cross breeding with Blacksnakes.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
From the detective's point of view, "I believe open carry is stupid because 'professional gun fighters (i.e, cops)' don't open carry when off duty. Open carry is bad because it is an invitation for someone to take it from you, and civilians are not trained in weapon retention."

Uhh, hold on a second. OC is stupid because cops don't open carry when off duty? Oh? Like detectives and government set the standard for rights?

What a brilliant piece of arrogant a$$hat we have in this detective. I would have said, "Well, I would prefer CC. Here's why..." But, oh, no. Not this detective. He's not content to supply info about pros and cons and let the asker figure out for himself how to exercise an enumerated right. Nope. Its stupid if you don't do it his way. And, you're probably stupid too.

And, gee, there are just sooooo many gun grabs that it should be plain to anybody who isn't stupid that CC is the only way to go, rather than training everybody who wants training on weapon retention.

Actually, I've changed my mind. I do think the police and government set the standard for what is stupid. They seem to be uniquely qualified for that. Maybe they'll give us some more standards for stupidity.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I was gonna ask the OPer not to post anymore opinions from detectives, but I've decided this is kinda entertaining. Kinda like that old TV show about "Kids Say The Darnedest Things". Only this is "Cops Say The Most Hilariously Stupid Things."

Who is our next guest host? Who will ask a cop a question to get his opinion?

:D

curtiswr

I put both socks on first, and then my shoes, as opposed to right sock, right shoe, left sock, left shoe.

Can you ask the Dick which way he does it so I may start to do it the proper way as well?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I put both socks on first, and then my shoes, as opposed to right sock, right shoe, left sock, left shoe.

Can you ask the Dick which way he does it so I may start to do it the proper way as well?

Unless you have received professional sock-retention training, you are stupid to put on your own socks.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Be nice guys!
That's one of the only remaining professions left that you can go into with the same qualifications as a McDonalds worker, physique of Tiny Tim, get a job sitting on your ass and looking snotty, and get paid ninety grand a year.

Ain't America Grand!

Halleluja!

hallelujah.jpg

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
+1

Unless you have received professional sock-retention training, you are stupid to put on your own socks.

LMAO ....

See - they, some "LEO's" see things from a offensive view point, which is why they & Bad Guys insist on CC. It's the best way to attack someone that is unaware. They OC while on duty so they can defend themselves easier; whether they will admit it or not. They carry OC on duty for defense as we do for our everyday protection. Who's smart now?

Last edited:

paramedic70002

The good Detective is entitled to his opinion.

The next time you run into him, ask him with all his experience (Detectives generally have a few or more years under their belt) how many times to his personal knowledge has a civilian been disarmed by a criminal, that leads him to believe it is a problem. I'm guessing... one.

Then ask him how often uniformed LEOs get disarmed, since they have advanced gun retention training and security holsters.

Maybe a light will come on, probably not.

Last edited:

DontTreadOnMeVa

My response, "Hmmm... Thanks for your non-legal personal OPINION detective, but why dont you hold on to it. I am quite happy with my own regarding how I choose to exercise my rights. I really don't require yours.

Hey, but you might have a PROFESSIONAL opinion I might be curious about! Do you think jelly or cream filled is best?

Have a GREAT day!"

Snotty? Yes, but if the quote is verbatim the reply would be deserved.

eb31

That Det. sounds like a complete moron. You can pass along the sentiment, if you're not too afraid it will "piss him off".

Having lived in Culpeper, Co. Va...I can gladly say I love Tn :) OC is about as normal as wearing pants.

Jay

"I believe open carry is stupid because 'professional gun fighters (i.e, cops)' don't open carry when off duty. Open carry is bad because it is an invitation for someone to take it from you, and civilians are not trained in weapon retention."

This is a "very" arrogant statement. Not trained in weapons retention obviously you know this is not the case since you saw I had a Level II holster on at breakfast yesterday.

Professional Gunfighter?!?! <---- Since most cops could not hit the broadside of a barn at 10 meters

Jay

Guys lets go a little easy on JesterP99 as well I agree with everyone that the detective's comment was well ridiculous. I personally met with JesterP99 yesterday for breakfast he seems like a good young guy. He seems to be generally interested in OC'ing however he has many concerns living with a father who is a cop and who is against OC.

Jester:

IMHO I would not post on here anymore things that cops, detectives, meter maids, dispatchers tell you that is against OC especially something as ridiculous as what this detective has said. Everyone on here knows there are a "few" select cops that think that we are inferior to them. Just as much as we all know that their are idiots in colleges that think banning the lawful possession of firearms on campus will make them safer. This is a forum dedicated to "Open Carry" not against it. We do not push our believes onto anyone which just ask that you respect it. Sure we like to see other people open carry but it is your choice if you choose to or not.