Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I was just asked to leave by a manager at Walmart.

I was just asked to leave by a manager at Walmart.

So I walk into Walmart Super-center in monona, wi and while open carrying I am asked by a manager to leave. I asked since when to which he lied and said it was posted at the entrance and that he had just checked to be sure. I asked where the sign was as we(roommate and I) were walking to the Exit knowing there was not one and sure enough he tried to cover saying it was there since the new law was active and has been since but must have been takin down. I asked if there was a higher manager available and he said "I'm the highest there is here".

Does anyone have a copy of the corporate Walmart policy regarding firearms ?? I'd like to confront this idiot for pushing his personal policy on Walmart. I've come here dozens of times open and conceal carry knowing I'd never be asked to leave. This is unfortunate.

Yep, I'm calling this managers bull ****, Wal-Mart follows state law...
    "I don't really care for "cream cheese"..."

"I don't really care for "cream cheese"..."

After the incident I went back in and asked an employee for contact information for the store manager after learning he was merely the "acting" store manager and really just the night manager. The odd part is she could not give me the contact number. The Real store manager is Dan Kuball at store #3857 Phone:608-226-0913. I will be calling and possibly visiting him tomorrow sometime. I will post updates.

-Sorcice

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcice View Post
    After the incident I went back in and asked an employee for contact information for the store manager after learning he was merely the "acting" store manager and really just the night manager. The odd part is she could not give me the contact number. The Real store manager is Dan Kuball at store #3857 Phone:608-226-0913. I will be calling and possibly visiting him tomorrow sometime. I will post updates.

-Sorcice
    Be sure to post up what he says , im curious to his response ... The other manager seemed like a real wanna beee
    Last edited by thieltech; 01-16-2012 at 09:50 AM.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__ <<<<<<<<< I like this guys jeep .
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_) INNOvATIONS are what i leave behind for history

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thieltech View Post
    Be sure to post up what he says , im curious to his response ... The other manager seemed like a real wanna beee
    Me too. BTW, thieltech; is that a BLUE bridgeport in your avatar?
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Was any sign posted at the entrance? The posting requirements apply to open carry as well as concealed carry.

-Sorcice
    I talked with the manager, Dan, back in August after a similar incident was brought to my attention. At that time he told me his policy was to follow corporate policy, and that he would make sure his subordinates understood it.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Just Remember

If somebody with authority asks you to leave...leave. The OP got it right in coming back after disarming to further discuss the issue/get information. In such a case, the absence of a sign will do you no good. Sneer all you like at the "acting" or "night" part, a manager is just that. I will add that OC confrontations like this often lead to signs which screws up CC. If you get the ok to OC from the top guy, get it in writing. He's not going to be around when Manager Junior decides to implement his own policy. If M.J. still insists you depart, you should obey and then have another chat with the boss.
    Last edited by apjonas; 01-16-2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by apjonas View Post
    If somebody with authority asks you to leave...leave. The OP got it right in coming back after disarming to further discuss the issue/get information. In such a case, the absence of a sign will do you no good. Sneer all you like at the "acting" or "night" part, a manager is just that. I will add that OC confrontations like this often lead to signs which screws up CC. If you get the ok to OC from the top guy, get it in writing. He's not going to be around when Manager Junior decides to implement his own policy. If M.J. still insists you depart, you should obey and then have another chat with the boss.
    Except Walmart corporate follows state law. If someone is acting above his pay grade, then that manager gets fired (yes, I have heard of a couple of these happening).
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Dan is the man . Just got off the line and before I even finished the story he interjected and said he was informed by the night manager this morning about the incident and that it is corp policy to allow us and we should not have an issue any more.

Sorcice, Well handled, thanks

Apjonas, Good paragraph on how to handle this type situation, in the future.
    Last edited by E6chevron; 01-16-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    Wis. CCL #5x Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact .40 S&W, Utah CFP

Quote Originally Posted by E6chevron View Post
    Sorcice, Well handled, thanks

Apjonas, Good paragraph on how to handle this type situation, in the future.
    Why comply with the personal agenda of an employee, regardless of job description? We know Wally World's policy.

And we will be seeing a video of this posted to Youtube soon... correct?

"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Banned
    The manager has the right to ask you to not have a gun in his store. Why do people get up in arms about such instances?

@hamlet no video sorry. I don't carry a vid recorder.

@david he does have the right but his rights don't match corp policy.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    The manager has the right to ask you to not have a gun in his store. Why do people get up in arms about such instances?
    Can you cite where it says that in the Constitution please?

@hamlet no video sorry. I don't carry a vid recorder.
    I know, but you see what my point is right? Pants, holster, camera. The firearm is just one part of the self defense equation.

"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

i know you have the right to OC but CC is so much easier , no looks, no stares , no confrontations

we should be able to open or conceal any were , but after 2 months of concealed , i have to say it is much easier to not make waves ,no one has any clue your standing there with your gun on you , you just get to smile as some one tells you how worried they are about it all , all those PEOPLE! carrying guns every were.

i hate to see posted places , i would hate to see any place become posted because of a confrontation with a OC'er if they ask, leave , disarm , then politely get the info and make phone calls , make sure to be a good representative of the OC\CC community even if you have to bite your tongue some.

by the way the phone number is on the store receipt for walmart and the managers name

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Most business owners expect the managers they employ to follow and promote the policies which they (the owners) have implemented. In this particular instance, the manager was attempting to enforce a store policy which not only did not exist, but ran counter to the established policies by the store owners (read: the executive corporate leadership.)

The OP did exactly as he should have done. Left when prompted to, file a complaint and seek resolution by escalating the matter to the next level of management above the employee requesting that he left.

The manager of a business should know what the policies exist in the store he manages. It is obvious this particular manager did not, and should have sought clarification when the opportunity presented itself. It sounds as if he was made to be aware of his error and (hopefully) does not repeat.
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

One more educated at no charge, well done everybody.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

I gotta say

OP: Good job. Nice to hear of more open carry. Way cool to hear that you handled it so well.

Let's keep in mind how important it is to support the RIGHT TO CARRY,.... PERIOD. Yes, CCW is "convenient", with regards to general public, but it is also important, in my book, to not forget about the value in exercising open carry.

I used to "think about it" (open carry), but after meeting Hubert, and talking at length about the whole thing, how could I not jump in do what I have an absolute right to do? I could not support open carry if I myself was not willing to get in the game.

Until the plastic card arrived, I open carried, encouraged by many of you here on OCDO (I lurked, like, forever). Over the winter, it's mainly casual carry for me. Come spring and summer, open carry / concealed carry mixture is just fine. All depends on one's own needs/preferences.

I support going armed. Whether deep concealment or wide open or casual carry.

If you aint done nuthin' wrong, then you aint done nuthin' wrong. Carry on.

Sorcice, keep up the good work.

Ps: I'm not dissing any one who is ccw only. Just saying "to each his own", and that open carry has intrinsic value that we should support. I hope the positive spirit in which this is intended, will show through.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCountyPete View Post
    i know you have the right to OC but CC is so much easier , no looks, no stares , no confrontations

we should be able to open or conceal any were , but after 2 months of concealed , i have to say it is much easier to not make waves ,no one has any clue your standing there with your gun on you , you just get to smile as some one tells you how worried they are about it all , all those PEOPLE! carrying guns every were.

i hate to see posted places , i would hate to see any place become posted because of a confrontation with a OC'er if they ask, leave , disarm , then politely get the info and make phone calls , make sure to be a good representative of the OC\CC community even if you have to bite your tongue some.

by the way the phone number is on the store receipt for walmart and the managers name
    It's so much easier to sit in the back of the bus and not make waves.....

Originally Posted by davidmcbeth The manager has the right to ask you to not have a gun in his store. Why do people get up in arms about such instances?

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Can you cite where it says that in the Constitution please?
    Oh, please. It also doesn't explicitly say that a manager can ask a person to not enter the store without shoes and a shirt, but he still has the legal right to do so (the authority within the corporate structure is another matter entirely).

Thankfully, we don't possess only those rights enumerated in the Constitution.

Ninth Amendment:
    The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
    In the same way that private property owners, and their agents, can restrict the First Amendment, they can also restrict the Second, and they can also bar a person from their PRIVATE premises for any reason of their choosing, no matter how ridiculous. And you know what? I have zero problem with that, because I expect and exercise the same amount of control over my private holdings.

Claiming to support liberty, but expecting private property owners/agents to be forced to permit behavior they disapprove of on their own premises reeks of hypocrisy.
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 01-16-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xd shooter View Post
    It's so much easier to sit in the back of the bus and not make waves.....
    true and very appropriate for MLK day

but I am not being asked to leave the store, i am not looking to create another place to stay away from (a posted one) i have my right to carry and i exercise it every day.

i was advocating that if you want to OC , deal with any store managers in a polite way. we need to make converts for oc/cc not posted stores

OC is what got us CC there is no doubt.

the civil rights battle was helped by those who maintained their cool under very bad treatment and kept it peaceful. it was hurt by anyone who could not control their anger.

OC/CC is a some what different issue than , 1960's civil rights movement , they had nothing and were fighting for every thing , we have a new license that allows us to carry almost any where , any were that doesn't get posted.

some people enjoy the ignorance , if being able to think that if they don't see a gun there is no gun they like to live in their little world were you would never have need for a gun where bad things only happen to other people on the news.
    sometimes it is just easier to let them wallow in their ignorance than to drag them into the reality of it.

if we prove CC is a non issue we can make the move later to go constitutional carry
    Last edited by GreenCountyPete; 01-16-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    Oh, please. It also doesn't explicitly say that a manager can ask a person to not enter the store without shoes and a shirt, but he still has the legal right to do so (the authority within the corporate structure is another matter entirely).
    Google sarcasm.

Also, as I have asked before... Does an employee have authority to exercise their personal agenda against a customer, if their agenda goes completely against corporate policy?
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

+1000

Quote Originally Posted by ChinChin View Post
    Most business owners expect the managers they employ to follow and promote the policies which they (the owners) have implemented. In this particular instance, the manager was attempting to enforce a store policy which not only did not exist, but ran counter to the established policies by the store owners (read: the executive corporate leadership.)

The OP did exactly as he should have done. Left when prompted to, file a complaint and seek resolution by escalating the matter to the next level of management above the employee requesting that he left.

The manager of a business should know what the policies exist in the store he manages. It is obvious this particular manager did not, and should have sought clarification when the opportunity presented itself. It sounds as if he was made to be aware of his error and (hopefully) does not repeat.

Plus macbeth has never visited milwaukee or madison lol quite the rude awakening if he did ... just saying maybe he should come to madistan lol
    May I see your First, Fourth And Thirteenth Amendment Permits, please?

Guns do not make you a killer. I
    think killing makes you a killer. You can kill
    someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is
    trying to ban you from driving to the ball game. (Andy Rooney RIP)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast