• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I was just asked to leave by a manager at Walmart.

Sorcice

So I walk into Walmart Super-center in monona, wi and while open carrying I am asked by a manager to leave. I asked since when to which he lied and said it was posted at the entrance and that he had just checked to be sure. I asked where the sign was as we(roommate and I) were walking to the Exit knowing there was not one and sure enough he tried to cover saying it was there since the new law was active and has been since but must have been takin down. I asked if there was a higher manager available and he said "I'm the highest there is here".

Does anyone have a copy of the corporate Walmart policy regarding firearms ?? I'd like to confront this idiot for pushing his personal policy on Walmart. I've come here dozens of times open and conceal carry knowing I'd never be asked to leave. This is unfortunate.

Mlutz

Yep, I'm calling this managers bull ****, Wal-Mart follows state law...

Sorcice

After the incident I went back in and asked an employee for contact information for the store manager after learning he was merely the "acting" store manager and really just the night manager. The odd part is she could not give me the contact number. The Real store manager is Dan Kuball at store #3857 Phone:608-226-0913. I will be calling and possibly visiting him tomorrow sometime. I will post updates.

-Sorcice

thieltech

After the incident I went back in and asked an employee for contact information for the store manager after learning he was merely the "acting" store manager and really just the night manager. The odd part is she could not give me the contact number. The Real store manager is Dan Kuball at store #3857 Phone:608-226-0913. I will be calling and possibly visiting him tomorrow sometime. I will post updates.

-Sorcice

Be sure to post up what he says , im curious to his response ... The other manager seemed like a real wanna beee :shocker:

Last edited:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

-Sorcice

I talked with the manager, Dan, back in August after a similar incident was brought to my attention. At that time he told me his policy was to follow corporate policy, and that he would make sure his subordinates understood it.

apjonas

Just Remember

If somebody with authority asks you to leave...leave. The OP got it right in coming back after disarming to further discuss the issue/get information. In such a case, the absence of a sign will do you no good. Sneer all you like at the "acting" or "night" part, a manager is just that. I will add that OC confrontations like this often lead to signs which screws up CC. If you get the ok to OC from the top guy, get it in writing. He's not going to be around when Manager Junior decides to implement his own policy. If M.J. still insists you depart, you should obey and then have another chat with the boss.

Last edited:

protias

If somebody with authority asks you to leave...leave. The OP got it right in coming back after disarming to further discuss the issue/get information. In such a case, the absence of a sign will do you no good. Sneer all you like at the "acting" or "night" part, a manager is just that. I will add that OC confrontations like this often lead to signs which screws up CC. If you get the ok to OC from the top guy, get it in writing. He's not going to be around when Manager Junior decides to implement his own policy. If M.J. still insists you depart, you should obey and then have another chat with the boss.

Except Walmart corporate follows state law. If someone is acting above his pay grade, then that manager gets fired (yes, I have heard of a couple of these happening).

Sorcice

Dan is the man :). Just got off the line and before I even finished the story he interjected and said he was informed by the night manager this morning about the incident and that it is corp policy to allow us and we should not have an issue any more.

HandyHamlet

Sorcice, Well handled, thanks

Apjonas, Good paragraph on how to handle this type situation, in the future.

Why comply with the personal agenda of an employee, regardless of job description? We know Wally World's policy.

And we will be seeing a video of this posted to Youtube soon... correct?

:cool:

Sorcice

@hamlet no video sorry. I don't carry a vid recorder.

@david he does have the right but his rights don't match corp policy.

HandyHamlet

The manager has the right to ask you to not have a gun in his store. Why do people get up in arms about such instances?

Can you cite where it says that in the Constitution please?

@hamlet no video sorry. I don't carry a vid recorder.

I know, but you see what my point is right? Pants, holster, camera. The firearm is just one part of the self defense equation.

:cool:

GreenCountyPete

i know you have the right to OC but CC is so much easier , no looks, no stares , no confrontations

we should be able to open or conceal any were , but after 2 months of concealed , i have to say it is much easier to not make waves ,no one has any clue your standing there with your gun on you , you just get to smile as some one tells you how worried they are about it all , all those PEOPLE! carrying guns every were.

i hate to see posted places , i would hate to see any place become posted because of a confrontation with a OC'er if they ask, leave , disarm , then politely get the info and make phone calls , make sure to be a good representative of the OC\CC community even if you have to bite your tongue some.

by the way the phone number is on the store receipt for walmart and the managers name

ChinChin

The manager has the right to ask you to not have a gun in his store. Why do people get up in arms about such instances?

Most business owners expect the managers they employ to follow and promote the policies which they (the owners) have implemented. In this particular instance, the manager was attempting to enforce a store policy which not only did not exist, but ran counter to the established policies by the store owners (read: the executive corporate leadership.)

The OP did exactly as he should have done. Left when prompted to, file a complaint and seek resolution by escalating the matter to the next level of management above the employee requesting that he left.

The manager of a business should know what the policies exist in the store he manages. It is obvious this particular manager did not, and should have sought clarification when the opportunity presented itself. It sounds as if he was made to be aware of his error and (hopefully) does not repeat.

PQ36

I gotta say

OP: Good job. Nice to hear of more open carry. Way cool to hear that you handled it so well.

Let's keep in mind how important it is to support the RIGHT TO CARRY,.... PERIOD. Yes, CCW is "convenient", with regards to general public, but it is also important, in my book, to not forget about the value in exercising open carry.

I used to "think about it" (open carry), but after meeting Hubert, and talking at length about the whole thing, how could I not jump in do what I have an absolute right to do? I could not support open carry if I myself was not willing to get in the game.

Until the plastic card arrived, I open carried, encouraged by many of you here on OCDO (I lurked, like, forever). Over the winter, it's mainly casual carry for me. Come spring and summer, open carry / concealed carry mixture is just fine. All depends on one's own needs/preferences.

I support going armed. Whether deep concealment or wide open or casual carry.

If you aint done nuthin' wrong, then you aint done nuthin' wrong. Carry on.

Sorcice, keep up the good work.

Ps: I'm not dissing any one who is ccw only. Just saying "to each his own", and that open carry has intrinsic value that we should support. I hope the positive spirit in which this is intended, will show through.