• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Volume of concealed-gun permits swamps Wisconsin. 71K applied, 51K printed

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statep...wamps-wisconsin-agency-pr3pps0-137397823.html
Jason Stein said:
The state fell behind Dec. 30 on its obligations under the new law, which requires new applications to be handled within 21 days.

So far, nearly 71,000 people have applied for permits and swamped state officials at the Department of Justice, who have printed more than 51,000 so far. That comes as handgun sales and the state background checks for those sales reached record highs last year.

But the state is not offering any financial compensation for those who paid the $50 fee for a license but who have to wait beyond the legal deadline.

So far, about 1,100 applicants have been denied, Brueck said. Most of the denials are for reasons such as the applicant's address didn't match other state records, leaving open the possibility the person could correct that information, reapply and receive a permit.

"We've gone 130 years without the right to carry. I've told our members they can wait another week or two," Clark said.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

Snip...

"We've gone 130 years without the right to carry. I've told our members they can wait another week or two," Clark said.

"We have always had the right to carry, we just had to wait 130 years to be able to conceal carry legally"...

There..... Fixed it....

Outdoorsman1

HandyHamlet

I think we can all clearly see now... I am not Doug.

Although I always felt that accusation was a compliment.

:cool:

71,000 so far. That's more than I thought would apply in the beginning.

E6chevron

Wisconsin has not issued any Concealed Carry PERMITS.

Jason Stein (the reporter), should at least call it a LICENSE.

His credibility is already reduced.

Motofixxer

LICENSE- Certificate or the document itself which gives permission. (Blacks Law 4th ed, Pg 1067)

PERMIT- To suffer, allow, consent, let; to give leave or license; to acquiesce, by failure to prevent, or to expressly assent or agree to the doing of an act. (Blacks Law 4th ed, Pg 1298)

So by definition, they are one in the same. :rolleyes:

OC for ME

permit (noun) 1: a written warrant or license granted by one having authority <a gun permit>

license (noun) 2a : a permission granted by competent authority to engage in a business or occupation or in an activity otherwise unlawful b : a document, plate, or tag evidencing a license granted

Thing, not act.

E6chevron

LICENSE- Certificate or the document itself which gives permission. (Blacks Law 4th ed, Pg 1067)

PERMIT- To suffer, allow, consent, let; to give leave or license; to acquiesce, by failure to prevent, or to expressly assent or agree to the doing of an act. (Blacks Law 4th ed, Pg 1298)

You should check the Wisconsin statutes.

The wrong term is used in your linked FAQ as well.

Last edited:

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Sweet!

The rate of applications coming in has stabilized at around 417/day and the applications are being processed at the rate of 1330/day. If those numbers stay steady, the DOJ will be caught up on January 28th! Sweet!
2w2gf0p.jpg

ccwinstructor

Centurion
If the rate contines at 417 a day, 190,000 by the end of the first year

I think we can all clearly see now... I am not Doug.

Although I always felt that accusation was a compliment.

:cool:

71,000 so far. That's more than I thought would apply in the beginning.

If the rate of 417 per day continues through the first year, Wisconsin will have issued 190,000 permits by the end of the first year. That would be over 3.5 percent of the population, a very good showing.

We are at close to one percent issued already, probably will be at 1.5 percent by the end of the month.

No state that has passed a shall issue CCW bill has ever repealed it. Three states have already expanded their shall issue bills to constitutional carry. More are pushing for constitutional carry this year, with a bill passed the house in New Hampshire and filed in South Dakota.

We are winning.

Last edited:

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
The Capital Times says the population of Wisconsin over 21 is 4.3 million. 200,000 licenses means over 4.5% of those age eligible are expected to obtain a license. If ineligible (such as felons) and those not likely to obtain a license (such as nursing home residents) are not included in the calculation, the percentage becomes even higher. Politicians, especially Democrats and RINOS, would be wise to appreciate this percentage in a purple state where elections are often decided by a few percentage points.

Last edited:

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Yes, 4-10 percent of the voting population becomes a powerful force

The Capital Times says the population of Wisconsin over 21 is 4.3 million. 200,000 licenses means over 4.5% of those age eligible are expected to obtain a license. If ineligible (such as felons) and those not likely to obtain a license (such as nursing home residents) are not included in the calculation, the percentage becomes even higher. Politicians, especially Democrats and RINOS, would be wise to appreciate this percentage in a purple state where elections are often decided by a few percentage points.

You accurately are describing the power of an active, informed minority. This is the dynamic that expands shall issue programs and leads to constitutional carry.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
According to the 2010 census, Wisconsin's population was 5,686,986. 72.2% (4,106,004) were 21 or older and 6.7% (381,028) were 75 and older. That leaves a pool of 3,724,976 people who could conceivably apply for a license.... 200,000 licenses would be 5.4% of that population.

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

Snip...

"We have always had the right to carry, we just had to wait 130 years to be able to conceal carry legally"...

There..... Fixed it....

Outdoorsman1

Not to argue, but.....

While state statutes have never prohibited open carry, almost every municipality did until 66.0409 was passed. That is when Open Carry truly became legal state wide.

E6chevron

E6chevron

71000 x 50=3550000 dollars way more then they need to get the job done. This is a real money maker for the state.

They need to monitor court release and sentencing orders into the future. The CCL information needs to be available for quick lookup 24x7 to verify status by LEO or the courts. That will take a lot of resources. The job is NOT done, when the CCL is issued or denied.

paul@paul-fisher.com

We have a winner! While it shows the reporter isn't familiar with the actual process, it really doesn't make any difference.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
You will find that a lot of CCW permit holders will be 75 or older.

According to the 2010 census, Wisconsin's population was 5,686,986. 72.2% (4,106,004) were 21 or older and 6.7% (381,028) were 75 and older. That leaves a pool of 3,724,976 people who could conceivably apply for a license.... 200,000 licenses would be 5.4% of that population.

I have been giving CCW classes in Arizona for the last 16 years. A significant percentage of those who obtain the permit are 75 or older.

In Arizona, about 1/6 of the permits are issued to those over 70.

Here are the statistics for Arizona CCW permits:

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Statistics/

Last edited: