• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

House built with wood and straw

MKEgal

Sounds like he combined sod, straw-bale, & seat of the pants. Wonder how building codes work over there?

Straw-bale homes are awesome! (Earth-sheltered are too.)
Some day, I hope to have one, hopefully that I've helped build, maybe with solar & wind power so it's independant.
Straw-bale homes are super-insulated [IIRC, something like R50!], which means exceptionally warm in winter & cool in summer, plus being quiet.
This isn't a new building method, having been used on the plains where there weren't many trees, sort of like sod houses.

They're relatively inexpensive, though the stucco / plaster may need closer attention in some climates.
The only oddity is that you have to plan ahead for hanging cabinets, pictures, etc. & install wood framing under the plaster, to have something to attach them to.
Here's an informative site: http://www.strawbale.com/

KBCraig is right - as long as the plaster is intact the house is fireproof for all intents & purposes. And even if there's a crack or flake, the straw is so compressed that it would smoulder & (probably) go out rather than actually burn. That being said, insulating around the flue/chimney is important.

PPM - part of the framework for most straw-bale houses is a sill & cap (I don't know the right term for it - the anti-sill on the top of a wall) plus rebar vertically to pin the bales together. Then cable is run around the sill, bales, & cap all along the wall & tightened down to compress the bales vertically. The pictures I've seen show the builders hanging their body weight on the cables, but I think a more even & predictable load can be had by using a winch or comealong. Pre-compression is important because with a roof full of snow the bales will compress, & if that's done after the stucco sets you've got problems.

KBCraig

AS long as no moisture gets inside.
Spontaneous combustion occurs from drying the plant's natural oils in an anaerobic environment, not rainwater getting inside. Mold would be the side effect of moisture. Spontaneous combustion occurs with improperly dried hay, not straw (they're not the same).

There are thousands of straw bale structures, dating back decades. I've never heard of spontaneous combustion from water intrusion.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I love it! Except for the hay. Not a big fan of breathing the fumes from hay...

If there's a way to use the hay, such as in a mixture of properly-stabilized clay, I'm all for it.

And yes, the fireplace extending inside the structure is pretty cool. :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Looks fine. Until the bugs move in.

And, after about the third year when it comes time to dust all those crooked architectural features.

And, better practice up on your swearing so you're ready when you brush up against those hand rails or balusters in your jockey shorts at night.

Daylen

Looks fine. Until the bugs move in.

And, after about the third year when it comes time to dust all those crooked architectural features.

And, better practice up on your swearing so you're ready when you brush up against those hand rails or balusters in your jockey shorts at night.

He'll have as much trouble as any slab house, in regard to bugs. If he built it himself and is a good carpenter (not professional housebuilder) there is a good chance he'll have far fewer bugs than in a normal house.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

When I win a lottery again , I will fund a phragmites cultivation and thatching enterprise.

PistolPackingMomma

funny-pictures-history-cleaning-the-outhouse.jpg