• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rules of the Senate: v.2012!

TFred

As I was scrolling through the list of bills today, I got to the end and noticed this:

SR 1: Establishing the Rules of the Senate.

Sure enough, the changes are noted below:

Old Senate rule 20(h) has been replaced by new Senate rule 20(k):

20 [strike](h)[/strike](k). The Chair of any Committee may appoint subcommittees to consider a particular bill or resolution or to consider matters relative to a portion of the work of the Committee. Such subcommittees shall not take final votes and shall only make recommendations to the Committee. The Chair of the full Committee shall be an ex officio member of all subcommittees and entitled to vote, but shall not be counted as a member for purposes of a quorum. All subcommittees shall be governed by the Rules of the Senate.

As one might expect, here is the track of the status of the Resolution:

Full text:
01/11/12 Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 1/11/12 12104041D pdf

01/11/12 Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 1/11/12 12104041D
01/11/12 Senate: Taken up for immediate consideration
01/11/12 Senate: Reading of substitute waived
01/11/12 Senate: Substitute by Senator McEachin rejected (20-Y 20-N)
01/11/12 Senate: Chair votes No
01/11/12 Senate: Agreed to by Senate (20-Y 20-N)
01/11/12 Senate: Chair votes Yes
01/11/12 Senate: Ruling of Chair Sustained pursuant to Rule 50 (20-Y 20-N)

It took Bolling to break the tie at every vote. I could not find any source for what McEachin's floor amendment tried to change.

So... for now at least... the Death Sub-Committee is even more against the rules than it was before.

TFred

Glockster

As I was scrolling through the list of bills today, I got to the end and noticed this:

SR 1: Establishing the Rules of the Senate.

Sure enough, the changes are noted below:

Old Senate rule 20(h) has been replaced by new Senate rule 20(k):

20 [strike](h)[/strike](k). The Chair of any Committee may appoint subcommittees to consider a particular bill or resolution or to consider matters relative to a portion of the work of the Committee. Such subcommittees shall not take final votes and shall only make recommendations to the Committee. The Chair of the full Committee shall be an ex officio member of all subcommittees and entitled to vote, but shall not be counted as a member for purposes of a quorum. All subcommittees shall be governed by the Rules of the Senate.

As one might expect, here is the track of the status of the Resolution:

Full text:
01/11/12 Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 1/11/12 12104041D pdf

01/11/12 Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 1/11/12 12104041D
01/11/12 Senate: Taken up for immediate consideration
01/11/12 Senate: Reading of substitute waived
01/11/12 Senate: Substitute by Senator McEachin rejected (20-Y 20-N)
01/11/12 Senate: Chair votes No
01/11/12 Senate: Agreed to by Senate (20-Y 20-N)
01/11/12 Senate: Chair votes Yes
01/11/12 Senate: Ruling of Chair Sustained pursuant to Rule 50 (20-Y 20-N)

It took Bolling to break the tie at every vote. I could not find any source for what McEachin's floor amendment tried to change.

So... for now at least... the Death Sub-Committee is even more against the rules than it was before.

TFred

Sometimes it's the little things in life that just seem to matter the most. :)

va_tazdad

"It took Bolling to break the tie at every vote. I could not find any source for what McEachin's floor amendment tried to change."

If Dandy Don McEachin submitted it, you know it was anti-gun, anti-Constitutional, anti-law abiding citizen in nature and designed to strip away our rights.

His always are.