Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Snowmobile and a CPL

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    221

    Snowmobile and a CPL

    I was looking at the Kalkaska County MI sheriff web site and it says NO loaded guns on a snowmobile. I didn't see any exceptions for a legal CPL/CCW holder so I am a bit confused. Does anyone know the real story?

    I included the link to the site below "While carrying an uncased or loaded firearm or strung bow.' << this is to the right of the top picture.






    http://www.kalkaskasheriff.net/snowmo.html

  2. #2
    Regular Member detroit_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,196

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    If you have a CPL, you can OC or CC on a snowmobile. Without a CPL, you will have to store it in a case designed for a firearm, unloaded, preferably locked, and in a place not easily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...me=mcl-28-425c

  4. #4
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
    I was looking at the Kalkaska County MI sheriff web site and it says NO loaded guns on a snowmobile. I didn't see any exceptions for a legal CPL/CCW holder so I am a bit confused. Does anyone know the real story?

    I included the link to the site below "While carrying an uncased or loaded firearm or strung bow.' << this is to the right of the top picture.






    http://www.kalkaskasheriff.net/snowmo.html
    I'll send them a note.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  5. #5
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I'll send them a note.
    Email sent, will await their reply.

    To the Sheriff of Kalkaska County or appropriate policy designee:

    Greetings, I am the President of Michigan Open Carry. I am writing you concerning a portion of your website that was recently brought to our attention regarding snowmobiling.

    http://www.kalkaskasheriff.net/snowmo.html

    REGULATIONS
    1. A person shall NOT operate a snowmobile:

    ...

    - While carrying an uncased or loaded firearm or strung bow.
    ...

    Is this an accurate reflection of your department's policy regarding snowmobiling with a firearm?

    Thank you for your help in this matter and your timely response.
    Last edited by TheQ; 01-16-2012 at 10:32 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  6. #6
    Regular Member HKcarrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    831
    Just above that section it references HUNTING... just sayin... but I can see how there could be confusion.
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Eastpointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,440
    Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    Just above that section it references HUNTING... just sayin... but I can see how there could be confusion.
    You are reading the portion below the one we are referencing. Here is what we are talking about. I'll be riding this weekend, I'll report back if I'm jailed or ticketed for carrying.

    REGULATIONS
    1. A person shall NOT operate a snowmobile:
    -At a rate of speed greater than is reasonable for conditions. Many snowmobilers believe there is no speed limit. The fact is, the highest legal speed for any vehicle anywhere in the county is 55 mph.
    - While under the influence of alcohol or controlled substance.
    - Without an operating headlight, taillight, brake light or brakes that are in good working condition.
    - Within 100 feet of any person on ice or ice shanty; or any slide, ski or skating area.
    - Without a muffler no louder than 86 decibels measured at a distance of 50 feet.
    - Within 100 feet of a dwelling between midnight and 6:00 a.m., except at a very slow speed.
    - In, on or across a cemetery, airport, railroad right of way, or forest nursery.
    - While carrying an uncased or loaded firearm or strung bow.

  8. #8
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    You are reading the portion below the one we are referencing. Here is what we are talking about. I'll be riding this weekend, I'll report back if I'm jailed or ticketed for carrying.

    REGULATIONS
    1. A person shall NOT operate a snowmobile:
    -At a rate of speed greater than is reasonable for conditions. Many snowmobilers believe there is no speed limit. The fact is, the highest legal speed for any vehicle anywhere in the county is 55 mph.
    - While under the influence of alcohol or controlled substance.
    - Without an operating headlight, taillight, brake light or brakes that are in good working condition.
    - Within 100 feet of any person on ice or ice shanty; or any slide, ski or skating area.
    - Without a muffler no louder than 86 decibels measured at a distance of 50 feet.
    - Within 100 feet of a dwelling between midnight and 6:00 a.m., except at a very slow speed.
    - In, on or across a cemetery, airport, railroad right of way, or forest nursery.
    - While carrying an uncased or loaded firearm or strung bow.
    I guess they have a radar gun directed at the City Airport quite often. I wonder how they issue the ticket after takeoff, pull them over to the nearest cloud?

    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe...75404513710604

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    221
    I did mention CPL/CCW to be specific in my post, so yes I am talking strictly about carry with proper permits CPL/CCW.


    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    If you have a CPL, you can OC or CC on a snowmobile. Without a CPL, you will have to store it in a case designed for a firearm, unloaded, preferably locked, and in a place not easily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...me=mcl-28-425c

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    221
    Okay I called the Michigan State Police in Lansing and they agreed this was an error on the site, and those like me who know Kalkaska know they are extremely heavy handed and like to interpret laws they way they see fit. This is why I brought it up.

    I also talked to the Michigan State Police in kalkaska and they also agreed the site was incorrect, and anyone who is legally carrying a firearm under the CPL/CCW laws can carry on a snowmobile.

    I know the games Kalkaska plays (fast and loose) with the laws, and most people within 100 miles of Kalkaska know their mentality as well. If they dig in their heels then maybe a open carry snowmobile run might be needed.. lol

    I appreciate those who stepped in to comment because the more people who let the powers to be know we are watching the less they get away with.

    I like about 40% or more of the people who live here came from places like Detroit and Grand Rapids and see the mentality a few in Law Enforcement have up here.

    See the links below to get an idea, and I had contact with this creep and filed complaints on him, long before he was found to be a rapist Trooper and now murderer. This creep terrorized many people and tried with me and failed.

    http://michiganoidv.blogspot.com/201...unningham.html

    http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...s_continu.html

    http://www.wwmt.com/articles/margin-...errifying.html

    This trooper escaped prosecution on other rape allegations by several other young women who he pulled over and allegedly forced them to have sex with him or go to jail.

    The old boys club is alive and well in Northern Michigan. This is how the game is played here, and this is why I brought this Snowmobile CPL issue to light because up here NOTHING will get done without the bright light of outsiders looking in and them knowing the world is watching so to speak.

    and before someone asks what does the incident in ionia have to do with Kalkaska, Bart was a Kalkaska State Trooper, and moved after his prosecution I assume for his own safety.

    Many Thanks!
    Last edited by alphamale; 01-18-2012 at 09:12 AM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    221
    There is a hunting section also, I am talking about the second photograph and just to the right of said photo. That is not about hunting there, it is general rules.

    They have known about this now for a few days, I wonder how long will it take (if ever) from them to remove it, and correct it.


    Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    Just above that section it references HUNTING... just sayin... but I can see how there could be confusion.

  12. #12
    Regular Member HKcarrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    You are reading the portion below the one we are referencing. Here is what we are talking about. I'll be riding this weekend, I'll report back if I'm jailed or ticketed for carrying.

    REGULATIONS
    1. A person shall NOT operate a snowmobile:
    -At a rate of speed greater than is reasonable for conditions. Many snowmobilers believe there is no speed limit. The fact is, the highest legal speed for any vehicle anywhere in the county is 55 mph.
    - While under the influence of alcohol or controlled substance.
    - Without an operating headlight, taillight, brake light or brakes that are in good working condition.
    - Within 100 feet of any person on ice or ice shanty; or any slide, ski or skating area.
    - Without a muffler no louder than 86 decibels measured at a distance of 50 feet.
    - Within 100 feet of a dwelling between midnight and 6:00 a.m., except at a very slow speed.
    - In, on or across a cemetery, airport, railroad right of way, or forest nursery.
    - While carrying an uncased or loaded firearm or strung bow.
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
    There is a hunting section also, I am talking about the second photograph and just to the right of said photo. That is not about hunting there, it is general rules.

    They have known about this now for a few days, I wonder how long will it take (if ever) from them to remove it, and correct it.



    My bad.. thanks for clarification...
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •