• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Snowmobile and a CPL

alphamale

I was looking at the Kalkaska County MI sheriff web site and it says NO loaded guns on a snowmobile. I didn't see any exceptions for a legal CPL/CCW holder so I am a bit confused. Does anyone know the real story?

I included the link to the site below "While carrying an uncased or loaded firearm or strung bow.' << this is to the right of the top picture.

http://www.kalkaskasheriff.net/snowmo.html

TheQ

I was looking at the Kalkaska County MI sheriff web site and it says NO loaded guns on a snowmobile. I didn't see any exceptions for a legal CPL/CCW holder so I am a bit confused. Does anyone know the real story?

I included the link to the site below "While carrying an uncased or loaded firearm or strung bow.' << this is to the right of the top picture.

I'll send them a note.

TheQ

I'll send them a note.

Email sent, will await their reply.

To the Sheriff of Kalkaska County or appropriate policy designee:

Greetings, I am the President of Michigan Open Carry. I am writing you concerning a portion of your website that was recently brought to our attention regarding snowmobiling.

REGULATIONS
1. A person shall NOT operate a snowmobile:

- While carrying an uncased or loaded firearm or strung bow.

Is this an accurate reflection of your department's policy regarding snowmobiling with a firearm?

Thank you for your help in this matter and your timely response.

Last edited:

HKcarrier

Just above that section it references HUNTING... just sayin... but I can see how there could be confusion.

scot623

Just above that section it references HUNTING... just sayin... but I can see how there could be confusion.

You are reading the portion below the one we are referencing. Here is what we are talking about. I'll be riding this weekend, I'll report back if I'm jailed or ticketed for carrying.

REGULATIONS
-At a rate of speed greater than is reasonable for conditions. Many snowmobilers believe there is no speed limit. The fact is, the highest legal speed for any vehicle anywhere in the county is 55 mph.
- While under the influence of alcohol or controlled substance.
- Without an operating headlight, taillight, brake light or brakes that are in good working condition.
- Within 100 feet of any person on ice or ice shanty; or any slide, ski or skating area.
- Without a muffler no louder than 86 decibels measured at a distance of 50 feet.
- Within 100 feet of a dwelling between midnight and 6:00 a.m., except at a very slow speed.
- In, on or across a cemetery, airport, railroad right of way, or forest nursery.

PDinDetroit

You are reading the portion below the one we are referencing. Here is what we are talking about. I'll be riding this weekend, I'll report back if I'm jailed or ticketed for carrying.

REGULATIONS
-At a rate of speed greater than is reasonable for conditions. Many snowmobilers believe there is no speed limit. The fact is, the highest legal speed for any vehicle anywhere in the county is 55 mph.
- Without an operating headlight, taillight, brake light or brakes that are in good working condition.
- Within 100 feet of any person on ice or ice shanty; or any slide, ski or skating area.
- Without a muffler no louder than 86 decibels measured at a distance of 50 feet.
- Within 100 feet of a dwelling between midnight and 6:00 a.m., except at a very slow speed.
- In, on or across a cemetery, airport, railroad right of way, or forest nursery.

I guess they have a radar gun directed at the City Airport quite often. I wonder how they issue the ticket after takeoff, pull them over to the nearest cloud?

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?o...e1c9dccd,Kalkaska,+MI&cid=3758775404513710604

alphamale

alphamale

Okay I called the Michigan State Police in Lansing and they agreed this was an error on the site, and those like me who know Kalkaska know they are extremely heavy handed and like to interpret laws they way they see fit. This is why I brought it up.

I also talked to the Michigan State Police in kalkaska and they also agreed the site was incorrect, and anyone who is legally carrying a firearm under the CPL/CCW laws can carry on a snowmobile.

I know the games Kalkaska plays (fast and loose) with the laws, and most people within 100 miles of Kalkaska know their mentality as well. If they dig in their heels then maybe a open carry snowmobile run might be needed.. lol

I appreciate those who stepped in to comment because the more people who let the powers to be know we are watching the less they get away with.

I like about 40% or more of the people who live here came from places like Detroit and Grand Rapids and see the mentality a few in Law Enforcement have up here.

See the links below to get an idea, and I had contact with this creep and filed complaints on him, long before he was found to be a rapist Trooper and now murderer. This creep terrorized many people and tried with me and failed.

http://michiganoidv.blogspot.com/2010/02/former-state-trooper-bart-cunningham.html

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/02/ionia_shooting_victims_continu.html

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/margin-1373761-bottom-terrifying.html

This trooper escaped prosecution on other rape allegations by several other young women who he pulled over and allegedly forced them to have sex with him or go to jail.

The old boys club is alive and well in Northern Michigan. This is how the game is played here, and this is why I brought this Snowmobile CPL issue to light because up here NOTHING will get done without the bright light of outsiders looking in and them knowing the world is watching so to speak.

and before someone asks what does the incident in ionia have to do with Kalkaska, Bart was a Kalkaska State Trooper, and moved after his prosecution I assume for his own safety.

Many Thanks!

Last edited:

alphamale

There is a hunting section also, I am talking about the second photograph and just to the right of said photo. That is not about hunting there, it is general rules.

They have known about this now for a few days, I wonder how long will it take (if ever) from them to remove it, and correct it.

HKcarrier

REGULATIONS

There is a hunting section also, I am talking about the second photograph and just to the right of said photo. That is not about hunting there, it is general rules.

They have known about this now for a few days, I wonder how long will it take (if ever) from them to remove it, and correct it.

My bad.. thanks for clarification...