• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tulsa World - Senator Steve Russell files bill to legalize open carry

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=336&articleid=20120116_16_A1_OKLAHO429066

SNIP

OKLAHOMA CITY - Guns, smoking and texting while driving are among issues that lawmakers are expected to revisit when they return to the state Capitol on Feb. 6.

Thursday is the deadline in both chambers for lawmakers to file bills for consideration in the upcoming session.

Sen. Steve Russell, R-Oklahoma City, has filed Senate Bill 1092, which would allow those who meet certain requirements to openly carry a weapon.

. . .

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Here's a direct link to the .doc file that contains the language of this bill: http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf/2011-12%20INT/SB/SB1092%20INT.DOC

A few points that I have noticed:

Minimum age 21
No permit required, but you must carry a certificate of training (knowledge of open carry laws and safe handling of a firearm)
carry in a holster or scabbard (no retention requirement)
The prohibited places in the Oklahoma Self Defense Act would also be prohibited for OC.
It appears to allow you to carry loaded in a holster while in a motor vehicle

My thoughts:
I would like to see language that specifies that OC is not RAS for a stop... A guy can dream, right?
Is there anything in here that prohibits prohibited persons, or is that already covered elsewhere?

Last edited:

Bullbuster

Thanks for the link. I liked the page and will follow it from now on. I'm really pushing for it to pass. I have LEO's coming in and out of where I work all day and so far none of them have an issue with it. Even the 2 that work there are fine and dandy with it.