Thread: Open carry method question

Open carry method question

Hello,
    I have what may seem a stupid question regarding the method of open carry. I am currently suffering some abdominal troubles so carrying on my hip is difficult, if not painful. What is the general impression of open carry in a shoulder rig?

I do also have a valid MI CPL.
    Last edited by Ezerharden; 01-17-2012 at 06:04 AM.

Hi there Ezerharden I hope you do not mind my input I know we are a few states away. At least here in Washington some people do not like them because shoulders holsters make you muzzle the people behind you but lets be honest modern hand guns have gun gone off by themselves since the 1800s. We buy expensive name brand guns for a reason you could use a glock as a hammer and nothing would happen. I do not own any because of the price of the holster but am all for them. You gotta do what you gotta do I would rather have someone use a shoulder holster than leave his weapon at home and leave themselves defenseless
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

If you get a shoulder holster to OC make sure it is a vertical holster and not a horizontal one. With a horizontal holster the someone is behind you the muzzle is pointing at that person. Most of us here realize there is nothing wrong with that as far as the gun is not going to go off. I have heard pro gun people complain about it and say it is unsafe so imaging what an anti would say. With the vertical holster the muzzle is pointing down.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.as...27&CatalogID=2 This has been known to be a good shoulder holster. I have the Miami Classic version for concealed carry.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Banned
    Most people are going to just think you're LEO.

go for a shoulder that holds the gun vertical(or at least at a downward angle) as somebody else also suggested.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by fire suppressor View Post
    <snip> We buy expensive name brand guns for a reason you could use a glock as a hammer and nothing would happen. <snip>
    So....are you saying that a Glock is not a good hammer? My XD is an excellent hammer....if the need arises.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I guess I am the only one that reads the monthly stories about guns magically going off and blowing up toilets and such.
    Point being guns do go off all the time, covering somebody with the muzzle of your gun might not be the greatest idea. People that do not know you might not know if you are one of the folks that cause the toilets to blow up magically.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    So....are you saying that a Glock is not a good hammer? My XD is an excellent hammer....if the need arises.
    lol they are ALL excellent hammers I have a XD myself you could build a house with that thing!
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

Quote Originally Posted by Ezerharden View Post
    Hello,
    I have what may seem a stupid question regarding the method of open carry. I am currently suffering some abdominal troubles so carrying on my hip is difficult, if not painful. What is the general impression of open carry in a shoulder rig?

I do also have a valid MI CPL.
    I had a similar issue in 2010, I considered a drop-leg holster since it would be closer to how I am used to carrying than a shoulder rig (making it a cross-draw).

BTW - not a dumb question at all!
    Last edited by PDinDetroit; 01-17-2012 at 11:30 PM.

The issue is not muzzle control. Folks, regular folks, do not get all jittery if they see a LEO with a shoulder rig. Even if they were standing behind the LEO at a Starbucks. The issue is that a 'non-LEO' is armed.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    The issue is not muzzle control. Folks, regular folks, do not get all jittery if they see a LEO with a shoulder rig. Even if they were standing behind the LEO at a Starbucks. The issue is that a 'non-LEO' is armed.
    I kind of agree with you. A cop with a horizontal holster and a person behind them people won't take as a big deal because well he's a cop. A non LEO with a horizontal holster people may not like because the muzzle is pointing at them. Is the gun going to go off in your holster? Probably not. I have no worries of it going off in my Galco Miami Classic. I have seen people who are "pro gun" and "pro carry" who argued that people shouldn't carrying in horizontal holsters because it puts the gun in a position where it's pointing at people behind you and they even said they don't feel comfortable with someone carrying that way. I do not share their opinion in anyway. Personally I think if someone is going to OC in a shoulder holster it should be in a vertical holster.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.

Bottom line: shoulder holster OC is just as legal as hip OC or thigh-rig OC or any other type of OC.

Personally, I CC with a horizontal shoulder holster all winter. I know the gun will not go off on its own, so nobody is in any danger. However, I would not OC in my shoulder holster simply because I don't think the people behind me would like seeing a gun pointed towards them. I know I wouldn't. It's all about perception.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Quote Originally Posted by EM87 View Post
    Bottom line: shoulder holster OC is just as legal as hip OC or thigh-rig OC or any other type of OC.

Personally, I CC with a horizontal shoulder holster all winter. I know the gun will not go off on its own, so nobody is in any danger. However, I would not OC in my shoulder holster simply because I don't think the people behind me would like seeing a gun pointed towards them. I know I wouldn't. It's all about perception.
    ^ +1 this!

Quote Originally Posted by EM87 View Post

My opinion on the subject as well.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Banned
    I've actually used the XD for a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    I've actually used the XD for a hammer.
    i love my xdm

Banned
    Great guns.

Shoulder rigs in the summer time is like wearing suspenders to hold your shorts up.

Banned
    It will get you noticed.

Thank you all for the advice and info.

Shoulder holster require some additional training as well. Try to remember that you should roll your shoulders together when you draw or your natural reaction will be to turn away from the draw. I seen it happen a lot even with and someone who has worn a shoulder rig for a standard carry method. This is far more pronounced when in an actual self-defense situation or when induced with a high stress training situation.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NHCGRPR45 View Post
    Shoulder holster require some additional training as well. Try to remember that you should roll your shoulders together when you draw or your natural reaction will be to turn away from the draw. I seen it happen a lot even with and someone who has worn a shoulder rig for a standard carry method. This is far more pronounced when in an actual self-defense situation or when induced with a high stress training situation.
    +1

Great point. I wore one for years and in the "old days" we were taught to draw while pivoting holster side of the body away from the threat to make yourself a smaller target . In theory this sounds easy, in practice it takes hours and hours of practice to do this in a smooth fluid motion and is next to impossible to execute at "danger close distances". Which brings up another point, if at all possible we should all train in weapon retention. This also means knowing how to keep an attacker(s) off balance and away from your weapon(s). Krav maga http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1y7VZ9BQxY or other martial arts aikido can be very helpful in this regard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbNjvNz5mBc
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 01-20-2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: link
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    aikido can be very helpful in this regard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbNjvNz5mBc
    Hey that's Doug Wedell. He's a high level instructor in the style of aikido I train/teach. Weird, I was just looking at that clip the other day.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine