Thread: Romney's father an illegal?

Romney's father an illegal?

Romney's father born in Mexico and came to the US illegally.
    http://rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com/_new...outh-of-border

Oh no, not another birther debate....
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

. . .

Where did it say that his father came to the U.S. illegally? You are aware that the father became governor of Michigan, right? I find Romney repugnant, but c'mon, man.
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 01-17-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Until I see the grandparents citizenship papers (the real ones), I'm gonna consider Mitt an anchor baby.
    Last edited by beebobby; 01-17-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Romney is not an American citizen because...because....because, his dad was not an American citizen.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

It seems that his grandparents left Utah before it was a state to avoid prosecution for polygamy. Mitt's father was born in Mexico and was brought back across the border by his parents when he was five. I don't know the circumstances of his grandparents re-entry into the US. Mitt's fathers citizenship was questioned when he ran for Pres., but those inquiries were dropped when he ended his presidential bid. Considering some of the recent statements by Romney on immigration reform, the irony is priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    It seems that his grandparents left Utah before it was a state to avoid prosecution for polygamy. Mitt's father was born in Mexico and was brought back across the border by his parents when he was five. I don't know the circumstances of his grandparents re-entry into the US. Mitt's fathers citizenship was questioned when he ran for Pres., but those inquiries were dropped when he ended his presidential bid. Considering some of the recent statements by Romney on immigration reform, the irony is priceless!
    Such ironies make me chuckle. I like it when individuals take hard lines.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

It will be interesting to see how the birthers spin this. It is a pretty convoluted situation.

Banned
    Romney's father born in Mexico and came to the US illegally.
    http://rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com/_new...outh-of-border
    So what,, Obama was born outside the US and so was McCain .. nobody cares & the courts don't either

Sigh...

His grandparents never lost their American citizenship. The child of two American citizens is an American citizen regardless of where he is born ("natural-born" might be a different story).

Regardless, Mitt Romney was born in MICHIGAN, and there has never been any dispute about that. Even if his father had illegally crossed the border the day before, Mitt would be an American citizen. So, I must ask, why did you post this, and can you provide any reasonable justification for the wild suggestion you make in the thread title?
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 01-17-2012 at 04:43 PM.

If Romneys grandparents fled the US to avoid prosecution, wouldn't they forfit their citizenship?

If Romneys grandparents fled the US to avoid prosecution, wouldn't they forfit their citizenship?
    Care to cite any law that says that?

Regardless, it wouldn't have any effect on Mitt's status. He was, again, born in MICHIGAN.
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 01-17-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    Care to cite any law that says that?

Regardless, it wouldn't have any effect on Mitt's status. He was, again, born in MICHIGAN.
    wasn't that part of the NDAA?
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    wasn't that part of the NDAA?
    The NDAA simply allows military detention to be used against American citizens "captured" on American soil aka "the homeland" aka "the battlefield."

oh ok. I thought another part of the act said they could revoke citizenship...but I can't remember for what reasons.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    Sigh...

His grandparents never lost their American citizenship. The child of two American citizens is an American citizen regardless of where he is born ("natural-born" might be a different story).

Regardless, Mitt Romney was born in MICHIGAN, and there has never been any dispute about that. Even if his father had illegally crossed the border the day before, Mitt would be an American citizen. So, I must ask, why did you post this, and can you provide any reasonable justification for the wild suggestion you make in the thread title?
    The argument being floated (it's not my argument, just so we're clear about that) is that someone born outside the U.S. is a natural-born citizen only if both parents were U.S. citizens at the time of birth. So, it matters to that particular theory if George Romney's parents were U.S. citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    The argument being floated (it's not my argument, just so we're clear about that) is that someone born outside the U.S. is a natural-born citizen only if both parents were U.S. citizens at the time of birth. So, it matters to that particular theory if George Romney's parents were U.S. citizens.
    Thanks for pointing that out for me. An interesting hypothesis, to say the least.

OK, let's assume for a minute that one or both of George Romney's parents did lose their citizenship somehow...a believer in such a theory would have to also believe that George Romney, who came to the United States as a young child, waited until he was at least 40 years old (the time of Mitt's birth) to become naturalized...

Occam's Razor doesn't lend much credence to this one, IMO.

WRONG---WRONG, even if he was born to two us citizens, and they were outside the U.S. when the child was born, that child would not be a natural born citizen. The only way that child, could be a natural born citizen, is by being born on American soil, (like a U.S. military base or an American embassy, OR IN AMERICA PERIOD.) If he was born to two U.S. citizens not on AMERICAN SOIL, then he is a naturalized citizen, not a natural born citizen. Therefore not able to be president of the U.S.A. I rest my case...

Quote Originally Posted by jammer View Post
    WRONG---WRONG
    Did you miss this part?
    The argument being floated (it's not my argument, just so we're clear about that)
    I accurately summarized the theory that has been advanced by others. If you have an argument with them, please take it to them.

Personally, I believe you're both wrong.

No.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

The ONLY relevant question here is "Is Mitt Romney a natural-born U.S. Citizen?"

The answer is "Yes."

Children are not responsible for the errors of their parents.

Case closed.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    The ONLY relevant question here is "Is Mitt Romney a natural-born U.S. Citizen?"

The answer is "Yes."

Case closed.
    Though not directly responsible, it sure as hell can come back to haunt them. In some cases, likely not this one, it can also make some question the upbringing, ethics and values of said individual. Either way, it really doesn't matter because the intended topic's point is simply throw out as Romney was born in MI, as already stated.

--
    Peace. ~G
    Carry weapon: SA XDm .40 SC + 11rd Ranger SXT 180gr

The issue presented is not whether MRomney is a U.S. Citizen, he clearly is. At issue is the Constitutional qualification that to be President you must be 'natural born'. Is there a difference between being a 'citizen' and a 'natural born citizen'? Definitely. One can become a 'citizen' in a number of ways: naturalization, under the 14th amendment and being natural born for example. Being Natural born is a subset of being a Citizen. Natural born citizens are a privileged class in that they can serve as President, where other non-natural born citizens cannot. That is undeniable under the Constitution.

The question presented refers to MRomney's citizen status. IIRC, to be natural born you must be born to two parents that are both citizens of the U.S. and born on 'U.S. soil' (which doesn't necessarily mean in the U.S.). The 'two parent' issue is what is now facing Obama, as today's hearing in GA is stating. Clearly, his father was not a U.S. citizen. It appears this is the case for MRomney as well; his father was not a U.S. citizen, rather a citizen of Mexico.

Questions remaining: if you're born in the U.S. but neither parent is a U.S. citizen, are you natural born? I would say no.
    if your'e born in the U.S. but only one parent is a U.S. citizen, are you natural born? My limited knowledge leads me to no as well.

It seems so simple a question should have been answered long ago and if not, is easily answerable today.

Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post

The answer is "Yes."

Case closed.