• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL/open carry in MI?

ManInBlack

Google MCL 28.425, which governs concealed pistol licenses. See if there is anything having to do with giving up your right to open carry.

(Hint: there is not.)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Michigan is a "shall issue" state, not "shall conceal."

Ask such people to provide you with a cite, then go to lunch/dinner. When you get back they will still have nothing on their plate. Give a fool and errand............

nightwalker

MI cpl/carry law...

I did finally think to go to the State Police web site and actually READ the law. There are so many regs on this gun stuff it's unbelievable. But it is clearly written that having a cpl does not preclude a person from carrying openly. Now if all the police are up to speed on that fact, I won't get a three hour hassle.

onestar 50

Yes, you can open carry with a cpl in the State of Michigan. With a CPL and open carry you can carry more more places then open carry with out a cpl or just concealed carry. I open carry all the time with my cpl and no problems at all. I see the Monroe county deputies and Mich state police and have no trouble at all.

xmanhockey7

This and any other questions about OC in Michigan would best be put in the Michigan section of the forum. There is no requirement for those who have a CPL to carry concealed. Those who have a CPL can OC in far more places than those who do not. Again MI section would be better for any questions regarding MI OC.

michaelm_ski

Open carry in vehicle in MICHIGAN

I was wondering I get the open carry in public but I was wondering how do you open carry in a vehicle ? I was working in downtown detroit during the summer and my car broke down and I had to walk home in the suburbs I had to was thru some really rough areas . I had my 45 in the holster and my jacket tucked behind it as I walked home I had several police cars slow down and look but none stopped to question me and I had a pleasent walk home . I would appreciate the help on the vehicle carry answer , and it felt great to carry open and not feel scared that I would be a victim of some crime . Thank goodness for being prepared :D .

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was wondering I get the open carry in public but I was wondering how do you open carry in a vehicle ? I was working in downtown detroit during the summer and my car broke down and I had to walk home in the suburbs I had to was thru some really rough areas . I had my 45 in the holster and my jacket tucked behind it as I walked home I had several police cars slow down and look but none stopped to question me and I had a pleasent walk home . I would appreciate the help on the vehicle carry answer , and it felt great to carry open and not feel scared that I would be a victim of some crime . Thank goodness for being prepared :D .

You may NOT open carry in a car without a permit in Michigan.

Cliff Notes cite, follow the links.
http://www.opencarry.org/mi.html

ManInBlack

I know you're new to carrying and that's great, so please don't take this wrong way, but you really should stop and look up the laws. I would hate to see you get into trouble for lack of knowing. A good place to start is the state police website (http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,...-,00.html#Concealed_Weapons__Non_CPL_Holders_). To answer your question:

[SIZE=-1]1. If I do not have a CPL permit, may I transport my pistol in a motor vehicle?

MCL 750.231a A person is now permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a trunk, the pistol may be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle unloaded and inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

A 'lawful purpose' includes:

• While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.
  • While transporting a pistol to or from home or place of business and a place of repair.
  • While moving goods from one place of residence or business to another place of residence or business.
  • While transporting a licensed pistol to or from a law enforcement agency for the purpose of having a safety inspection performed (registering the pistol) or to have a law enforcement official take possession of the pistol.
  • While en route to or from home or place of business to a gun show or place of purchase or sale.
  • While en route to or from home to a public shooting facility or land where the discharge of firearms is permitted.
  • While en route to or from home to private property where the pistol is to be used as permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.
[/SIZE]

I encourage you to read the whole FAQ, and to actually click on the links and read the text of the referenced laws for yourself (never rely solely on LEO interpretation).

Good luck and be safe.

EDIT: On a personal level, I find Michigan's prohibition on unlicensed, loaded vehicle carry to be exceedingly restrictive, but unfortunately, par for the course nationally. The requirement that said weapon must be not only unloaded but cased and in the trunk/inaccessible, however, is downright draconian.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Read the stickies on the MI thread. Like shown above you must transport the pistol unloaded, in the trunk, in a case designed for a firearm.

(d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of
the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.
(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

If you have a CPL you carry in your car however you want. Also if you don't have a CPL stay away from places listed under 750.234d. and the liquor license part does include places like Meijers.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(an...g.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-234d

Fillinguy

Great answer.

Yes, you can open carry with a cpl in the State of Michigan. With a CPL and open carry you can carry more more places then open carry with out a cpl or just concealed carry. I open carry all the time with my cpl and no problems at all. I see the Monroe county deputies and Mich state police and have no trouble at all.

Great answer. Most valid CPL holders don't realize that they can open carry in some of the Pistol free zones. It's a shame that many don't understand the laws as they pertain to carrying a firearm! It is pretty easy to make sure you don't find yourself in a bad situation just because you didn't take the time to understand the law! Way to go....