Thread: Using a Recorder

Using a Recorder

I have tried to search the forums for the answer to this but no luck, so I'm sorry if this is a double post. I understand the purpose of using a recorder, but what I am wondering is, is it legal to record without telling the officer that i am recording?

It sure is. You can record any conversation that you're a part of. Now recording someone elses conversation without them knowing it, that's illegal. But as long as you are part of the conversation with the officer, you're good. But keep in mind most of them don't like it. The one run-in I had with an LEO wasn't even about me carrying, he just got POed because he found out I was recording the conversation.

They don't like having to answer for their words later on.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmySoldier22 View Post
    It sure is. You can record any conversation that you're a part of. Now recording someone elses conversation without them knowing it, that's illegal. But as long as you are part of the conversation with the officer, you're good. But keep in mind most of them don't like it. The one run-in I had with an LEO wasn't even about me carrying, he just got POed because he found out I was recording the conversation.

They don't like having to answer for their words later on.
    ArmySoldier22 is 100% right. North Carolina is a single party consent state.
    Quote Originally Posted by P.J. O'Rourke; The Liberty Manifesto
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.

And in case you go there, here are the 12 states in which you CANNOT record audio without the consent of everyone around:
    CA CT FL IL MA MD MI MT NV NH PA WA

Quote Originally Posted by bc.cruiser View Post
    And in case you go there, here are the 12 states in which you CANNOT record audio without the consent of everyone around:
    Police dont fall under that protection. Public official in performance of duties. There was the case in MD that an off duty pulled over a motorcycle guy who was speeding with a head cam. They tried the wiretapping law to charge him and I can't remember if it was tossed out or just dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by bc.cruiser View Post
    Thanks for that fortunately I don't frequent any of those, only nc, sc, and ar. I used to live in MD, and while I still have family there, I tell them they can come visit me. I'm not going anywhere near there if I can help it :P

Its a little different then just recording when being stopped but non the less shows you how this judge ruled.

After recording police, Fla. man found guilty
    In a video shot in a public parking lot, officers are heard telling Jeff Patch to step back.

By PoliceOne Staff

TAMPA, Fla. A man arrested and charged with resisting and obstructing an officer put officers' safety at risk by videotaping a police investigation, a judge in Tampa ruled Thursday.

In the video shot in a public parking lot, officers are heard telling Jeff Patch to step back. Patch testified he recorded the officers in order to protect everyone involved and claimed he wasn't in the way, according to My Fox Tampa Bay. Police said he "added more chaos to a chaotic situation," putting officers in danger even if he wasn't outwardly violent or making threats.

"I asked the defendant to step back and move away from me due to his proximity being a distraction and being a officer safety issue," Tampa Police Chief Harris said.

The court found Patch guilty of obstructing an officer and gave him 30 days to appeal the decision.

"It's Mr. Patch's legal right to record. I'm not disputing that whatsoever," the judge said, adding that Patch did not need to inject himself into the situation as he did.

http://www.policeone.com/Officer-Saf...-found-guilty/

uber...

Judge says man within rights to record police traffic stop

Charges alleging wire tap violation thrown out

September 27, 2010|By Peter Hermann, The Baltimore Sun

In a decision that could make it easier for citizens to record police officers in Maryland, a Harford County judge ruled Monday that state police and prosecutors were wrong to arrest and charge a man for taping his own traffic stop and posting it on the Internet.

Circuit Court Judge Emory A. Plitt Jr.'s ruling helps clarify the state's wire tap law and makes it clear that police officers enjoy little expectation of privacy as they perform their duties

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...tt-cell-phones

as everyone knows motorcyclist & family went through hell for a couple months due to harrasment.
    http://www.pixiq.com/article/marylan...g-cop-with-gun

wabbit

ps: of course nothing happened to the 'undercover' le who drew down on motorcyclist...sigh