• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 1165: Richmond Metropolitan Authority; police. Good or Bad for OC??

TFred

A "regional" police force? Hmmm... Does this help or hurt OC? What if the different jurisdictions have different "tolerances" or policies on how to handle OC? Theoretically everyone should be the same... theoretically.

HB 1165: Richmond Metropolitan Authority; police.

Richmond Metropolitan Authority; police. Provides that the Authority may exercise full law-enforcement powers upon all property owned, operated, managed, leased, or maintained by or under the control of the Authority; establish and maintain a police department; and appoint and employ police officers to enforce the laws of the Commonwealth, the ordinances of the City of Richmond or the County of Chesterfield or Henrico, whichever may be applicable, and all rules and regulations of the Authority.

TFred

mobeewan

OH GREAT. The moro..., uh, excuse me, the police in those jurisdictions don't even know the laws in their own jurisdictions and now someone wants them to try to learn and enforce the varying laws in each others jurisdiction. GREAT, JUST GREAT!

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
and employ police officers to enforce the laws of the Commonwealth, the ordinances of the City of Richmond or the County of Chesterfield or Henrico, whichever may be applicable

So they are going to hire a bunh of folks who cannot get on the force in any of those jurisdictions and expect them to know not one but three sets of ordinances?

And if I am not mistaken once the police force is created they will have "jurisdiction" either on the adjoining streets or within X miles/yards/feet of the RMA property.

If RMA is so darned concerned about law enforcement on their property why don' they hire a private security company who will staff the sit with Special Conservators of the Peace? Cheaper, less liability, and no need for the GA to pass a law authorizing it. (Silly me! As soon as I typed that I saw the error of my ways!)

stay safe.

grylnsmn

A "regional" police force? Hmmm... Does this help or hurt OC? What if the different jurisdictions have different "tolerances" or policies on how to handle OC? Theoretically everyone should be the same... theoretically.
From what I can see, this police force would be similar to WMATA's force in NoVa. It would exist to enforce the law only on the Authority's property. They wouldn't have a general jurisdiction over Richmond, Henrico, or Chesterfield.

They seem to operate a few toll roads, a few parking decks, Main Street Station, and The Diamond. Depending on how they implemented things, it could be either a good idea, or a very bad idea.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It solves some jurisdictional issues and as Skid mentioned, puts a lot more stupid people on the street.

It is just one more step to a total police state ...kinda like making Game Wardens traffic cops:banghead:
Doug Wilder came up with the idea just after he destroyed the state song.

A very bad bill!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
It solves some jurisdictional issues and as Skid mentioned, puts a lot more stupid people on the street.

It is just one more step to a total police state ...kinda like making Game Wardens traffic cops:banghead:

A very bad bill!

Yeah... and wasn't our state song written by a black man? James Bland?

Repeater

A very bad bill!

Also, the patron is very bad on gun rights.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Also, the patron is very bad on gun rights.

But unless you can show the nexus between the effects of this bill and gun rights, your comment is not only a non sequiter but an example of the same false premise thinking we know the antis engage in.

Going back to basic premises - there are less costly and more effective ways for RMA to enforce their regulations on their property, which also have the benefit of preventing their enforcers from expanding their reach and jurisdiction.

Whch, obviously, is why RMA and the patron do not want to follow that path. Far better to erect a baby buracracy that can then be allowed to grow and expand.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

stay safe.

vt357

Serious question. All the toll roads around Richmond are owned and operated by the RMA. If they have their own police force, they would undoubtedly begin patrolling those roads and issuing tickets. Would the fines go into the state general fund like all other traffic fines? Or would the fines go directly to the RMA?

Repeater

But unless you can show the nexus between the effects of this bill and gun rights, your comment is not only a non sequiter but an example of the same false premise thinking we know the antis engage in.

stay safe.

Well, it goes to motive and character. Can we really trust the patron? Does the patron have the best interests of the citizens or is Jennifer L. McClellan really serving her City of Richmond master?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Serious question. All the toll roads around Richmond are owned and operated by the RMA. If they have their own police force, they would undoubtedly begin patrolling those roads and issuing tickets. Would the fines go into the state general fund like all other traffic fines? Or would the fines go directly to the RMA?

The fines would not necessarely go into general funds...BTW, they already have RMA Cops, this just expands it some. There are also and have been RailRoad Cops. The RR's have always had their own police force. That's where the idea of private Authority cops comes from.

Fines for state violations have always gone into general funds. The State Police tickets go into a literary fund I think....anyway,
fines for local infractions (Muni), go ito the locality's pocket.

What the localities have done is just copy the state traffic code and vote it in as a local offense. They keep the cash.

Recently Ken Cuccinelli opined that the localities were within their rights to keep the fines from State Police tickets as well.

I doubt the Authority gets to keep any of the money but the locality sure is gonna make a grab for it.

Sangre

The fines would not necessarely go into general funds...BTW, they already have RMA Cops, this just expands it some. There are also and have been RailRoad Cops. The RR's have always had their own police force. That's where the idea of private Authority cops comes from.

Fines for state violations have always gone into general funds. The State Police tickets go into a literary fund I think....anyway,
fines for local infractions (Muni), go ito the locality's pocket.

What the localities have done is just copy the state traffic code and vote it in as a local offense. They keep the cash.

Recently Ken Cuccinelli opined that the localities were within their rights to keep the fines from State Police tickets as well.

I doubt the Authority gets to keep any of the money but the locality sure is gonna make a grab for it.

I'd be curious to know if they fine money went to them or not, I always assumed that it would since they have their own police but I have no idea. I have been pulled over by an RMA cop, he was actually really cool and professional and also didn't give me a ticket. This happened on the RMA expressway right before you enter Chesterfield on Powhite Parkway, they have a seperated EZ-Pass only section, but the speed limit drops down to 45... People either ignore this speed limit, or assume that it goes back to 55 right after the toll, when in fact it doesn't until the end of the RMA section. When I first took this road a few years ago, I wouldn't slow down at all going through the toll (like the majority of traffic around me) and I got pulled over once going in the other direction going 65 by a State Trooper, and he gave me a ticket but "cut me a break" by not writing it as reckless. I'm pretty convinced that this speed limit is imposed entirely as a way to generate fine revenue as it is separate from the actual tollbooths where people work, and other areas with the same setup have no change in speed (Pocahontas Parkway), and some with speed limits higher than 55.

I take this road in each direction at least once a day, and frequently see Richmond, RMA, and State Police sitting there looking for speeders, on a number of days I've seen major speed traps setup by Richmond/State Police (always around the same time of the month...) where they have quite a few officers out there pulling people over.

I also have seen an unusual checkpoint on Powhite, they had all lanes but one blocked off and weren't stopping people, but where slowing them down by having the lanes blocked and standing in the road and basically directing traffic through. I went around the checkpoint by taking an exit and hopping right back on and they didn't pull me over for it, but gave me a dirty look when I got off the exit making me think it wasn't an official checkpoint just a "we saw you driving with expired tags and pulled you over" kinda thing since nobody was getting stopped.

I don't really ever speed now, I'm a good boy. I've never once been pulled over since I started carrying. I do feel like having more police officers under a separate force would be bad in that it just creates more confusion in my opinion. Why not just have a Richmond and Henrico patrol/unit dedicated to their areas?