• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In regard to carry at a University

nuc65

Activist Member
I ran across this note on instapundit...
Posted 1/17/2002 05:08:21 PM by Glenn Reynolds

FROM A LAW PROFESSOR'S EMAIL LIST comes this word that the Grundy shooter was stopped by a student with a handgun:

Students ended the rampage by confronting and then tackling the gunman, officials said.

�We saw the shooter, stopped at my vehicle and got out my handgun and started to approach Peter,� Tracy Bridges, who helped subdue the shooter with other students, said Thursday on NBC�s �Today� show. �At that time, Peter threw up his hands and threw his weapon down. Ted was the first person to have contact with Peter, and Peter hit him one time in the face, so there was a little bit of a struggle there.�

Very interesting. Believe it or not, some law professors on the list are actually suggesting that it would be a good idea if people with handgun carry licenses carried guns at school.

Where some of my colleagues are concerned, I'd find that very comforting. With others, well. . . .

----

Unfortunately the news article on MSNBC was pulled so I cannot put more information up, and wikipedia is protesting SOPA and IPA so that avenue isn't available... but I did find this: http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/04/01/13/lang.htm

with this kicker in the article:...
"Goldberg relates that, “The bloody incident happened on January 16, 2002, and was picked up by news organizations all over the country, almost all of which covered the story the way the Washington Post and the networks did. Which means virtually all of them left out one tiny, little fact. Two of the three students who ‘pounced on’ and ‘tackled’ and ‘overpowered’ the gunman, also had guns.” Clearly, Mr. Goldberg was being sarcastic, and justifiably so. "...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
And yet they all had to go back to their cars in the parking lot to retrieve their handguns.

How much faster might the situation been ended if they were carrying/wearing their handguns?

stay safe.

Sangre

And yet they all had to go back to their cars in the parking lot to retrieve their handguns.

How much faster might the situation been ended if they were carrying/wearing their handguns?

stay safe.

Exactly!

I had never heard of this incident until maybe 6 months ago when somebody referenced it on a Youtube video. For some reason I'm not surprised that the fact that the heroes stopped him with guns was omitted from many reports, but I do find it disturbing - the outcome could have been very different had the murderer not surrendered his gun at gunpoint.

paramedic70002

IIRC there was someone there, I think the other "hero," who claimed the shooter was out of ammo so the armed student defenders didn't need to be armed. Basically saying that it worked out to wait for the shooter to run out of ammo so they could subdue him. I guess that's the kinder, gentler warrior of our modern age. Just let him finish his business...

Anyway, here are my thoughts on that:

1. They could have acted sooner if they initially had been armed.

2. They could have acted decisively if they initially had been armed.

3. No shooter is "out of ammo" until strip searched.

4. No active shooter is a non-threat until rendered unconscious.

5. It's easy to play "unarmed hero" once the bullets stop flying and you have two armed friends.

DJEEPER

I am a law-abiding citizen, have my CHP, no blemishes on my record *knocks on wood*, etc....however, policies that endanger my life (and others student's), are interpreted as mere guidelines.

I believe only the ignorant herd would abide by a rule, without protest, that endangers their lives.

They can sprinkle magic anti-bad guy fairy dust around the perimeter of the campus and hold drum circles to drive away the bad spirits of the surrounding community where the bad guys are, yet I will be safe only by my own preparedness.