• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Officer Involved Shooting

jad316

Below is from the post disgrace:
What happens to all the rounds NOT hitting the perp? I mean does the chief of police address this with the officers? What is the liability of these un-guided bullets? I understand they are under a great deal of pressure and have a rough job. It’s just hard to fathom 60 rounds being shot. I really think they need to upgrade their pistols to .40 cal so they have more stopping power. I’m also really concerned for the person whom may be hit due to these officer’s unloading their magazines.

POST DISGRACE:
ST. LOUIS • St. Louis police shot and killed a man Tuesday after spotting him with a handgun in front of a supermarket.
Three officers with the Rapid Deployment Unit were patrolling the Walnut Park East neighborhood about 9:45 p.m. when they saw the man standing in front of Northway Market at West Florissant and Thrush avenues, police said.
The officers got out of their cars, approached the man and fired at him after he flourished his gun at the officers, said Capt. Michael Sack.
A chase ensued, pausing once near the back of the building, where the officers shot at the man again when he pointed his gun at them.
The pursuit ended in a nearby vacant lot when the man fell and fired at the officers, hitting the pant leg of one of them. The officers again fired, killing the man. The man was not identified Tuesday night.
Sack said the officers fired nearly 60 shots, while the suspect fired once. Sack said he believed the officers interrupted a robbery attempt. Police hope to learn more after examining video from the store.
Rapid Deployment Units are composed of uniformed officers who are not tied to radio assignments, but rather patrol hot spots in neighborhoods that have seen a number of robberies and aggravated assaults.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...877-51c7-8738-5ccddb244941.html#ixzz1jp7G1xh5

ecocks

The suspect "flourished" his gun at the officers?

Flash + Brandish = Flourish?

Quite the high-brow paper (although it may have been a quote from the Captain) you have there.......

Last edited:

RPGamingGirl

Ouch, English Fail. When used as a noun, the word "flourish" would have made sense (A bold or extravagant gesture or action, made esp. to attract the attention of others.), but the quote used the word as a verb. Shame. Instead, it should read "Brandished with a flourish," which would have given an awesome broadway-style visual to the reader.

ecocks

Ouch, English Fail. When used as a noun, the word "flourish" would have made sense (A bold or extravagant gesture or action, made esp. to attract the attention of others.), but the quote used the word as a verb. Shame. Instead, it should read "Brandished with a flourish," which would have given an awesome broadway-style visual to the reader.

LOL! The PD tries to add some flair to their reports......

"The valiant police officers pranced gracefully in pursuit of the nefarious individual while nonchalantly firing and reloading their wondrous weapons without a concern for their contribution to the lead content of the surrounding area."

Firedawg314

One side of me don't believe the report... another side of me... believe it. I can only say that because I grew up in the city and use to work in corrections. Most of those thugs (and wanta be's) view cops as a joke. I would not doubt the person "flashed" his gun to the cops in order to get a few seconds of run time. Believe it or not... some idoits will do that to get some "street credit" showing they aint afraid of cops, etc. Its really wild out there. But the question begs... what happen to the 60 rounds? I know of that area, its heavy populated with babies, young mom-mas, and teenagers. And across the street is the MASIVE grave yard. But W. Florissant, at that location is about 8 lanes wide! There's a lane to park, plus three lanes to drive on and then you have the other side. High traffic, city buses, school buses, etc. basically the wrong place you want to be throwing out lead. But its a super crime area and drug infestion. But on the "good" side... if the cops are using 9mm rounds and those are older homes (soild brick formation, not framed... with plaster walls, etc), so most likely those rounds are probably stuck in the walls... or if the cops shoot like I do at the range... after so many feet the rounds are in the ground...LOL

I guess all we can do is pray they (cops) make better choices and respect people. Think how they would treat one of us? Say we forgot we where OCing, got out of the car and they spotted you. In their heads they are already in the mood to lock you way and ready to draw on you.. why? Because they are a unit that just drives around and pick people up.... kinda like a "street sweeper"

SO becareful if you ever drive to the city.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
It's a shame St Louis City and County are such a mess. There are many positive things about the area but near pathalogical self-importance in communities and political halls will prevent any resolution to the crime and deteriorations in the foreseeable future.