Thread: Fighting for Liberty in Nebraska

Fighting for Liberty in Nebraska

Hey All,

I'm new to this forum, as I just recently began getting interested in Nebraska handgun laws. I'm about to turn 21, and I plan to immediately get my handgun purchase permit so I can arm myself. I find it rather depressing to see how many laws in the state (especially city laws) first, go against the Second Amendment ("...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.") and second, go against Article 1 of the state's Constitution. If what we see isn't infringement, I don't know what is!

I'm just curious about what some other Nebraskans on this forum are doing to fight for our liberty and to keep us from losing remaining pieces of our right to bear arms. Thoughts?

New Website

Hey guys, I'm trying to get Nebraska more involved in the OC movement, so here's the website I'm working on currently. I'm just getting started, but I'll hopefully be able to get much more law information posted as well as beef up the "Why Open Carry" section and eventually get some events going. I welcome your thoughts and feedback!

-MtM

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinTheMan View Post
    Hey guys, I'm trying to get Nebraska more involved in the OC movement, so here's the website I'm working on currently. I'm just getting started, but I'll hopefully be able to get much more law information posted as well as beef up the "Why Open Carry" section and eventually get some events going. I welcome your thoughts and feedback!

-MtM
    Welcome "MtM"
    I visited your site not bad. I highly recomend you guys check out his site.

I'll put this on my favorites and try to visit weekly.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Welcome aboard Mr. Muffin.

Best of luck with your efforts which are long overdue for my birth place.

I had thought that Omaha's license requirement for OC was determined to be extra-legal. How stands that?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Welcome aboard Mr. Muffin.

Best of luck with your efforts which are long overdue for my birth place.

I had thought that Omaha's license requirement for OC was determined to be extra-legal. How stands that?
    Thanks! Sadly, Omaha's permit requirement is still in the law books here, and I haven't heard anything about its being changed recently. That would be a win if it were to be removed. I am hoping to make contact with some of our state legislators to get a feel for whether any of them would be willing to get on board with making our state more Constitution-friendly. IMO, laws like Omaha's are neither legal according to our state constitution nor legal to our federal constitution. Then again, IMO, neither are many other gun laws, since they are what I would certainly consider "infringing."

What had you heard about Omaha?

Quote Originally Posted by gunscribe
    http://nebraskafirearms.org/
    Thanks for the heads up on that site! I added a link to it on http://www.neopencarry.org.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    --snip--

What had you heard about Omaha?
    I was born and raised there so peek regularly at that sub-forum hoping and praying that someone would pick up the ball.

Attended Omaha Central HS and as a member or the ROTC rifle team occasionally carried by rifle home on the street car/buses w/o the first problem. Obviously that was a long time ago witness the reference to street car/trolly.

When I went back for a HS class reunion I had to so disarmed - that was before reciprocity with Virginia - and I was not a happy camper.

Good luck and much success with your efforts.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

A lot has changed for the worse since then it seems, but we'll see what happens in the future. I just finished compiling a list of all of our state senators in order to begin sending out letters to get a feel for which ones would be allies for our cause.

Trouble in North Platte!

Quote Originally Posted by baby View Post
    Sounds like a crappy deal down there...unfortunately, I don't know any attorneys. Have you done any searches and tried calling anyone? Anyone else have thoughts?

Sounds like a crappy deal down there...unfortunately, I don't know any attorneys. Have you done any searches and tried calling anyone?
    Called two firms and e-mailed one (no response yet from the one I e-mailed on Friday).

Quote Originally Posted by baby View Post
    Called two firms and e-mailed one (no response yet from the one I e-mailed on Friday).
    Were the ones you called of any help? If they don't specialize in this sort of thing, maybe you could try asking if they know of any attorneys who do. Also, you could try contacting some of the leadership over at the NFOA to see if they know of anyone (that organization is a much more established than mine right now). Keep us posted on what you find out.