• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fighting for Liberty in Nebraska

MuffinTheMan

Hey All,

I'm new to this forum, as I just recently began getting interested in Nebraska handgun laws. I'm about to turn 21, and I plan to immediately get my handgun purchase permit so I can arm myself. I find it rather depressing to see how many laws in the state (especially city laws) first, go against the Second Amendment ("...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.") and second, go against Article 1 of the state's Constitution. If what we see isn't infringement, I don't know what is!

I'm just curious about what some other Nebraskans on this forum are doing to fight for our liberty and to keep us from losing remaining pieces of our right to bear arms. Thoughts?

MuffinTheMan

New Website

Hey guys, I'm trying to get Nebraska more involved in the OC movement, so here's the website I'm working on currently. I'm just getting started, but I'll hopefully be able to get much more law information posted as well as beef up the "Why Open Carry" section and eventually get some events going. I welcome your thoughts and feedback!

-MtM

Nebduckman

Hey guys, I'm trying to get Nebraska more involved in the OC movement, so here's the website I'm working on currently. I'm just getting started, but I'll hopefully be able to get much more law information posted as well as beef up the "Why Open Carry" section and eventually get some events going. I welcome your thoughts and feedback!

-MtM
Welcome "MtM"
I visited your site not bad. I highly recomend you guys check out his site.

I'll put this on my favorites and try to visit weekly.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome aboard Mr. Muffin.

Best of luck with your efforts which are long overdue for my birth place.

I had thought that Omaha's license requirement for OC was determined to be extra-legal. How stands that?

MuffinTheMan

Welcome aboard Mr. Muffin.

Best of luck with your efforts which are long overdue for my birth place.

I had thought that Omaha's license requirement for OC was determined to be extra-legal. How stands that?

Thanks! Sadly, Omaha's permit requirement is still in the law books here, and I haven't heard anything about its being changed recently. That would be a win if it were to be removed. I am hoping to make contact with some of our state legislators to get a feel for whether any of them would be willing to get on board with making our state more Constitution-friendly. IMO, laws like Omaha's are neither legal according to our state constitution nor legal to our federal constitution. Then again, IMO, neither are many other gun laws, since they are what I would certainly consider "infringing."

What had you heard about Omaha?

gunscribe said:
http://nebraskafirearms.org/

Thanks for the heads up on that site! I added a link to it on http://www.neopencarry.org.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

What had you heard about Omaha?

I was born and raised there so peek regularly at that sub-forum hoping and praying that someone would pick up the ball.

Attended Omaha Central HS and as a member or the ROTC rifle team occasionally carried by rifle home on the street car/buses w/o the first problem. Obviously that was a long time ago witness the reference to street car/trolly.

When I went back for a HS class reunion I had to so disarmed - that was before reciprocity with Virginia - and I was not a happy camper.

Good luck and much success with your efforts.

MuffinTheMan

A lot has changed for the worse since then it seems, but we'll see what happens in the future. I just finished compiling a list of all of our state senators in order to begin sending out letters to get a feel for which ones would be allies for our cause.

MuffinTheMan

Called two firms and e-mailed one (no response yet from the one I e-mailed on Friday).

Were the ones you called of any help? If they don't specialize in this sort of thing, maybe you could try asking if they know of any attorneys who do. Also, you could try contacting some of the leadership over at the NFOA to see if they know of anyone (that organization is a much more established than mine right now). Keep us posted on what you find out.