• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ordered New Springs today...

Sheldon

For those of you that Cary a semi auto. First off let me say my HK USP has been flawless these many years. I have cycled a great many rounds thought this pistol with out issue.

However on my last two tear downs (weekly) where I also strip and clean the mag the rounds would not (hand) eject clean. First time I just assumed it was some crud.

So this week I took a closer look...
No damage or apparent wear on the mag...
This mag has been under full compression near 100% of the time for over 8 years now (except when I MT it for cleaning or at the range)...
Reliability is of prime importance so I put in a call for new Wolf springs of all three (the other two are newer and do not exhibit this issue but why wait).

So here is the $25,000 dollar question how are your mag springs and when did you check them last?

H

Herr Heckler Koch

So here is the $25,000 dollar question how are your mag springs and when did you check them last?
What does it mean, to "check them?"

If I were to check a spring I would measure its extended length and then measure the force per change in length to design compression. I would look at that data to see that it makes a smooth line and compare it to the manufacturer's data if available.

How do you check a spring?

Oh, my H&K dated KI is in my pants at this moment. Its spring has only ever been momentarily expanded.

If you're learning or taking advise on some tidbit of fundamental physics/technology, do not take it from a purveyor of the tidbit, of course they are too glad to sell to a sucker - there's one born every minute. "This way to the egress, she walks, she talks, she crawls on her belly." (P. T. Barnum)

Last edited:

Sheldon

If I were to check a spring I would measure its extended length and then measure the force per change in length to design compression. I would look at that data to see that it makes a smooth line and compare it to the manufacturer's data if available.

How do you check a spring?

Oh, my H&K dated KI is in my pants at this moment. Its spring has only ever been momentarily expanded.

If you're learning or taking advise on some tidbit of fundamental physics/technology, do not take it from a purveyor of the tidbit, of course they are too glad to sell to a sucker - there's one born every minute. "This way to the egress, she walks, she talks, she crawls on her belly." (P. T. Barnum)

I'm not sure if you are simply being sarcastic, rude, or are playing the part of the ignorant jester... Just a FYI, I was working on and shooting guns when you were still in diapers..... So unless you are a certified HK Armorer.....

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

I'm not sure if you are simply being sarcastic, rude, or are playing the part of the ignorant jester... Just a FYI, I was working on and shooting guns when you were still in diapers..... So unless you are a certified HK Armorer.....
I am three years older than you. I passed semi-annual examinations covering such things as metallurgy to maintain my engineer qualification. So lets just say that I'm being rude to you in return.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

This way.

SovereignAxe

What kind of device would one use to check springs? I've never heard of a device that will take readings like you describe.

But to answer the OP: never. I don't have said device and I've only had my Walther for a few months. But when I bought it I took the mags apart to see what they're supposed to look like when new.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Universal testing machine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_testing_machine

A stack of calibrated weights and a ruler would do for magazine springs. The fundamental point is that a properly designed spring properly used is as reliable as a brick.

Think valve springs or watch spring. Fatigue is not even a consideration in a magazine.

Last edited:

Sheldon

If you have access to a Metallurgy or Physics lab like some of us still do that is a the best way. As Her Koch finally got off his high horse and stated you measure it, WRT a new one would be a good standard, or you could just use some weights to compress it again measuring compression vs new, and for Koch yes spring force is in K. Your not the only one here with a heap of college under their belt....

N M glad you guys finally go a Governor that would sign pro gun legislation, too bad he is being recalled (big petition in the news) for trying to kill the unions

SovereignAxe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_testing_machine

A stack of calibrated weights and a ruler would do for magazine springs. The fundamental point is that a properly designed spring properly used is as reliable as a brick.

Think valve springs or watch spring. Fatigue is not even a consideration in a magazine.

yep, that's why I don't worry about it. You don't take your car in to get the valve springs replaced.

I'll start to worry when putting in that 15th round doesn't take pry bar.

Sheldon

Valve spring, watch spring, recoil spring, mag spring, all of which only have the spring part in common. Each is designed to a very different task and the metallurgy on each varies, there is no one size fits all spring material.

If nothing else from this thread is gained, I hope it is PM could save your life, be it your car getting rid of a balding tire that could last a few more miles, or a questionable spring on your defensive weapon..... Is your life worth it?

Check it out and fixt it before it breaks.....

Sheldon

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

That theory may be fine if your life is not depending on something...

If this is so then why do we PM our mission critical equipment, so you don't change the oil on your car, you drive until your bald tires go flat??? You don't run your back up generator??? You don't clean your gun after a day at the range...So why would anyone want to treat their carry any differently....

Last edited: