• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB967: Would grant gun privileges to Campus Cops!

Repeater

Most everyone here is already familiar with certain government Elites being exempt from the firearm laws that apply to the mere serfs (the rest of us) such as carrying concealed weapons and one handgun a month.

Well, Delegate Bob Bell would propose adding campus cops to the Elites with HB 967:
Law-enforcement officers; campus police officers; definitions. Includes within various definitions of "law-enforcement officers" campus police officers at institutions of higher education.

Seems innocuous, right? Which is perhaps why VCDL missed it. But read the bill text:

At § 18.2-308 B 7:
Any State Police officer retired from the Department of State Police, any officer retired from the Division of Capitol Police, any local law-enforcement officer, auxiliary police officer or animal control officer retired from a police department or sheriff's office within the Commonwealth, any special agent retired from the State Corporation Commission or the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, any conservation police officer retired from the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, and any Virginia Marine Police officer retired from the Law Enforcement Division of the Virginia Marine Resources Commission, and any campus police officer appointed under Chapter 17 (§ 23-232 et seq.) of Title 23, ...

And at § 18.2-308.2:2 I:
The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) transactions between persons who are licensed as firearms importers or collectors, manufacturers or dealers pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 921 et seq.; (ii) purchases by or sales to any law-enforcement officer or agent of the United States, the Commonwealth or any local government, or any campus police officer appointed under Chapter 17 (§ 23-232 et seq.) of Title 23; or (iii) antique firearms, curios or relics.

Support or Oppose?

Mayhem

I oppose any bills that would create a different class of rights for people. Either all of us carry (my preference) or None.

While I agree with you on the class comment.... I cannot say that no cops should carry on campus just because we can't.

It is all because of the evil doers that commit crimes on campus that made this happen. But the sad part is that all this law does is prevent the honest and law abiding people from being armed and prepared for the evil doer that may want to visit.

sawah

I think I'd prefer Campus cops just continue (or start) "Observe and Report"-ing. Give them deadly force options and you better choose them very carefully.

Jay

I guess I do not understand the purpose of these Commonwealth Bills when there is already the Federal H.R. 218, the “Law Enforcement Officers' Safety Act” which basically says cops can carry everywhere.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I guess I do not understand the purpose of these Commonwealth Bills when there is already the Federal H.R. 218, the “Law Enforcement Officers' Safety Act” which basically says cops can carry everywhere.

That's Federal Jay and doesn't have any bearing on their resident state.

KBCraig

Not quite.

Sec. 926B. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified law enforcement officers
(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that—
(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park.

Any state laws or local ordinances that prohibit carry on government property are still valid for police carrying under LEOSA.

paramedic70002

I'm confused. Campus LEOs are already allowed to be armed. Then there's talk of LEOSA.

Can someone briefly explain to this simple man what current laws are being changed by this bill, and exactly what those changes are?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm confused. Campus LEOs are already allowed to be armed. Then there's talk of LEOSA.

Can someone briefly explain to this simple man what current laws are being changed by this bill, and exactly what those changes are?

Kampus Kops are not officially "law enforcement officers" for purposes of being exempt from the provisions of 18.2-308 regarding concealed carry without a separate CHP. The proposed bill makes them "law enforcemrnt officers" so that they can be exempted from needing a CHP to carry concealed when on or off duty (mostly the latter).

BIG QUESTION: if they make them "law enforcement officers" there, won't that also make them "law enforcement officers" for all sorts of other things that will cost us taxpayers money we are not already spending on them - pensions/pension eligibility, disability, uniform allowances, health care and health insurance and a few others that I cannot call to mind right away. These may seem piddling but add up to several thousands of dollars per month in additional costs, as well as very likely changing the way salary is both structured and computed. (Yeah, I know it takes a *explitive deleted* bureaucrat to think of stuff like that. I used to be one until I retired - even went to grad school to train to be more of one:p.)

stay safe.

ODA 226

Kampus Kops are not officially "law enforcement officers" for purposes of being exempt from the provisions of 18.2-308 regarding concealed carry without a separate CHP. The proposed bill makes them "law enforcemrnt officers" so that they can be exempted from needing a CHP to carry concealed when on or off duty (mostly the latter).

Skid,
We rarely disagree but I have to ask for a big Q-F-T on that statement. As I understand it, Campus Police are recognized as "State" LEOs and as such, actually have state-wide authority in the Commonwealth.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Skid,
We rarely disagree but I have to ask for a big Q-F-T on that statement. As I understand it, Campus Police are recognized as "State" LEOs and as such, actually have state-wide authority in the Commonwealth.

I'm just going to throw the ball back in your court. If they were "real" cops there would be no need to amend -308 to give them the privilege.:p

They may attend a "real" academy and get to arrest people anywhere they feel like it and all sorts of other stuff, but apparently they are not "real" cops because the General Assembly forgot to include them in the list of "Only Ones".

I'm thinking that this amendment to -308 comes at the request of the Unified Supreme Soviet Workers' Committee of Kampus Kops, and that someone in that group is at least as smart as me and figured out that if they get recognition there they can claim it for all the other "Only One" bennies they are currently not getting.

stay safe.

ODA 226

They are real cops that graduated from a real academy and have a real accrediation from the Commonwealth. I think that this simply a CYA against any technicalities that may arise.

Sheriff

I too feel they are just fixing an oversight that went unnoticed for far too long.

Our University of Virginia cops are sworn law enforcement officers.