• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying conceled on private property

Pat Gardner

I live 6 miles out of Plummer on my Father-in-laws 240 acre farm and i was wanting to know if i could carry my Pistol concealed on his farm with out a cwp.? My father -in -law doesn't mind, just want to make sure what Idaho says about it, and i can't find anything. and thanks for all the good info that everyone provides, i love this Forum.

Thor80

Idaho Statute 18-3302

(7) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, or on property in which the person has any ownership or leasehold interest, a person shall not carry a concealed weapon without a license to carry a concealed weapon. For the purposes of this section, a concealed weapon means any dirk, dirk knife, bowie knife, dagger, pistol, revolver or any other deadly or dangerous weapon. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any lawfully possessed shotgun or rifle.

(12) The requirement to secure a license to carry a concealed weapon under this section shall not apply to the following persons:
(d) Any person outside the limits of or confines of any city while engaged in lawful hunting, fishing, trapping or other lawful outdoor activity;

INAL but I would say that according to 12(b) you would be okay since it is on private property, it is an outdoor ranch, not located in a city and you would be participating in a "lawful" outdoor activity. Ie, tending the ranch, or just out there goofing off you would still need to protect yourself from hostile wildlife or intruders on the ranch. :)

Maybe someone with more ID experience will chime in.
http://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title18/T18CH33.htm Link to ID statutes

-Thor

Last edited:

carracer

Good to go! Just remember to respect private property rights. You are good there too.

Idaho is a shall issue state so easy to get a permit also.

If you make it to Boise come to one of the Idaho Open Carry meetings.

Thor80

Good to go! Just remember to respect private property rights. You are good there too.

Idaho is a shall issue state so easy to get a permit also.

If you make it to Boise come to one of the Idaho Open Carry meetings.

So just to clarify for him Carracer, he can carry on the ranch cause it meets the requirements of 18-3302 12(b) right? Even though say Walmart is private property you cant go concealing in Walmart because it doesn't meet those requirements right? Just don't want him getting the impression that you can conceal on any private property without a permit.....

-Thor

Last edited: