• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trying to ban firearms on Ferries

sirpuma

That's what I started to post about but then I actually read the bill and it's just not there. The Kitsap Sun got chided in the comments section for their take on it.

(f) Carries any flammable liquid, explosive, acid, or other article or material likely to cause harm to others, except that nothing in this subsection prevents a person from carrying a cigarette, cigar, or pipe lighter or carrying a firearm or ammunition in a way that is not otherwise prohibited by law;

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2011-12/Pdf/Bills/Senate Bills/6245.pdf

MadHatter66

Ok, so I jumped the gun on this one... It allows for legally carried firearms, sounds like they want to tack on that if there is a firearm as part of the crime that it enhances the crime, The bill actually states:

(f) Carries any flammable liquid, explosive, acid, or other article or material likely to cause harm to others, except that nothing in this subsection prevents a person from carrying a cigarette, cigar, or pipe lighter or carrying a firearm or ammunition in a way that is not otherwise prohibited by law;

SB 6245 is the bill here...

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2011-12/Pdf/Bills/Senate Bills/6245.pdf

Although I do NOT agree with everythign in this bill, and think its a little over reaching... It sounds (to me anyway) that the firearms portion is being incorrectly reported in the media.

Last edited:

dadada

Great... Here we go. That article says nothing to whether it is a legally carried or not. Sounds like they just want to outright ban firearms on ferries. How are legally armed people supposed to make it to places like Vashon where there is NO ALTERNATIVE to the ferry? They will be denied their rights because they ride the ferry? Are they going to use the firearms ban to stop and search vehicles more often for weapons? This article is seriously lacking... SB 6245 is the bill here...

Just because it has the word firearm in it doesn't mean they're trying to ban them. Must read it before jumping to conclusions.

(f) Carries any flammable liquid, explosive, acid, or other article
9 or material likely to cause harm to others, except that nothing in this
10 subsection prevents a person from carrying a cigarette, cigar, or pipe
11 lighter or carrying a firearm or ammunition in a way that is not
12 otherwise prohibited by law
;

MadHatter66

Just because it has the word firearm in it doesn't mean they're trying to ban them. Must read it before jumping to conclusions.

(f) Carries any flammable liquid, explosive, acid, or other article
9 or material likely to cause harm to others, except that nothing in this
10 subsection prevents a person from carrying a cigarette, cigar, or pipe
11 lighter or carrying a firearm or ammunition in a way that is not
12 otherwise prohibited by law
;

Read my edit

Last edited:

FMCDH

Yep, typical poor reporting by the media.

No no, just make the deadline guys, don't worry about context or fact checking.

TechnoWeenie

Good thing there's no gasoline, air bags, or battery acid on the ferries, eh?

I so wanna call the non emergency number, and report a crime in progress...

'Yes, I'd like to report a crime'
what's the crime sir?
'Well, a law passed making explosions illegal on ferries, and there are thousands of explosions a second occurring on board'
EXPLOSIONS?!
'Yes ma'am, thousands a second, can I get an officer out here to arrest the person responsible?'
What do you mean , like a bomb?
'No, ma'am, some genius decided to dump a bunch of diesel fuel into a large compression cylinder, and it's causing explosions, with enough force to move the entire ferry'

Totally not against the law either, as it technically IS against the law......although they probably would try to charge you with something for making them look retarded, and you'd probably have to go to court.

fire suppressor

I am not sure I see this one going anywhere it sounds to much like the answer to a question no one asked. If it does get passed they will need to be very careful on the wording, the wording is going to make all the difference. What about state preemption? I will admit I do not know much about my ferry's but think WSF is owned by a privet company but still considered part of the state transportation department. Does state preemption still apply here?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I am not sure I see this one going anywhere it sounds to much like the answer to a question no one asked. If it does get passed they will need to be very careful on the wording, the wording is going to make all the difference. What about state preemption? I will admit I do not know much about my ferry's but think WSF is owned by a privet company but still considered part of the state transportation department. Does state preemption still apply here?

They are not a private company.

Metalhead47

WSF is 100% state-owned and operated like most other public transit agencies here.

I so wanna call the non emergency number, and report a crime in progress...

'Yes, I'd like to report a crime'
what's the crime sir?
'Well, a law passed making explosions illegal on ferries, and there are thousands of explosions a second occurring on board'
EXPLOSIONS?!
'Yes ma'am, thousands a second, can I get an officer out here to arrest the person responsible?'
What do you mean , like a bomb?
'No, ma'am, some genius decided to dump a bunch of diesel fuel into a large compression cylinder, and it's causing explosions, with enough force to move the entire ferry'

Totally not against the law either, as it technically IS against the law......although they probably would try to charge you with something for making them look retarded, and you'd probably have to go to court.

Well, technically that fuel isn't exploding, it's burning...kinda like gunpowder when it goes off...

Isn't the prohibited acts generally covered under other RCWs or local ordinances ? Why do we need this law?

Illegal weapons are already illegal on the ferries. We need this law to make them illegalerer.

OC for ME

That's what I started to post about but then I actually read the bill and it's just not there. The Kitsap Sun got chided in the comments section for their take on it.

So, gasoline is exempt from this? I mean, how many riding gasoline containers can be accommodated on one of the ferries? How about those acid receptacles that are located inside riding gasoline containers? what about Blue Rhino tanks that are transported? Maybe other 'flammable gas/liquid' cylinders that are transported.

Who writes these bills? A Amish lawyer?

hermannr

The state pre-emption is why they are asking for the legislature to act. The legislature you change whatever they wish, as long as the change is constitutional.

I don't think the Kitsap paper made a mistake, I think they reported what the WSP asked for, (They quoted the WSP Captian you know) not what the submitted act says.

The article does reveal a couple things: First, the WSP does know what the law says about firearms on the ferry (or they would not be asking to change it) and second, they don't like the law as it is now written.

I didn't know they had bomb sniffing dogs? (except maybe on the ferries that go to Canada) If anyone wants some "entertainment" buy a bag of ammonium nitrate fertilizer, and put a gerry can of diesel fuel in your trunk, and take it home. remove it, then go take the ferry. There will be enough of the odor left.....Be perpared to spend quite a bit of time with officer friendly and his dog. Maybe have your dog in the car too...

Lammo

SNIP.

I didn't know they had bomb sniffing dogs? (except maybe on the ferries that go to Canada) If anyone wants some "entertainment" buy a bag of ammonium nitrate fertilizer, and put a gerry can of diesel fuel in your trunk, and take it home. remove it, then go take the ferry. There will be enough of the odor left.....Be perpared to spend quite a bit of time with officer friendly and his dog. Maybe have your dog in the car too...

Now that would be something to watch. :)