• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trying to ban firearms on Ferries

Metalhead47

Which is an explosion. What it is not doing, is detonating.

Looking for a cite here... not the same thing... Gunpowder in a chamber doesn't explode, it burns. That's why it's a propellant and not an explosive.

So, gasoline is exempt from this? I mean, how many riding gasoline containers can be accommodated on one of the ferries? How about those acid receptacles that are located inside riding gasoline containers? what about Blue Rhino tanks that are transported? Maybe other 'flammable gas/liquid' cylinders that are transported.

There are posting when you board the ferries about the limits. Something like no more than two jerry cans of no more than 6 gallons each, or propane equivalent IIRC. Supposed to be "declared" for inspection. Been across plenty of times with a jerry can in the truck bed & never had anything said to me. Don't think a tank bolted to a vehicle (like a fuel transport tank or RV propane) counts. Big trucks carrying fuel or flammable gas Ithink are prohibited on the ferries, I recall hearing something that all Whidbey's fuel deliveries have to come over the bridge according to state law. Only time I've ever seen a tanker on the ferry was when it was fueling it.

I didn't know they had bomb sniffing dogs? (except maybe on the ferries that go to Canada) If anyone wants some "entertainment" buy a bag of ammonium nitrate fertilizer, and put a gerry can of diesel fuel in your trunk, and take it home. remove it, then go take the ferry. There will be enough of the odor left.....Be perpared to spend quite a bit of time with officer friendly and his dog. Maybe have your dog in the car too...

WSP officer told me those dogs are only looking for bombs, not drugs. See them all the time. Usually the officer is somewhere off to the side playing with the dog. :rolleyes: Being detained & questioned with legally legitimate RAS for God knows how long AND giving them reason to thoroughly search your vehicle is your idea of entertainment? Do you also enjoy trying to get thru airport security carrying gallon ziplocs full of little baggies of powdered sugar, with a first-edition Megatron toy thrown in for good measure?

Last edited:

Whitney

Lazy Legislators Cut and paste existing transit law to SB 6245

This bill is cut and paste from RCW 9.91.025; Unlawful Transit Conduct.
I am a frequent ferry rider on several routes and cannot fathom the need for this. I am not sure why WSP is asking for a new section in the law (that we already have), just to make it applicable to the ferry system. Do we really need this? Are these problems prevalent on the ferry system or was someone too lazy to pen a specific problem statement. I will be watching the public hearing as I am truly at a loss for words.

~Whitney

Metalhead47

This bill is cut and paste from RCW 9.91.025; Unlawful Transit Conduct.
I am a frequent ferry rider on several routes and cannot fathom the need for this. I am not sure why WSP is asking for a new section in the law (that we already have), just to make it applicable to the ferry system. Do we really need this? Are these problems prevalent on the ferry system or was someone too lazy to pen a specific problem statement. I will be watching the public hearing as I am truly at a loss for words.

~Whitney

Illegalerer. Look it up. :rolleyes:

deanf

So the WSP and the WSF apperently know that they can't simply make administrative rules prohibiting these things, and then just eject you for trespass. That's great.

Why can't the Employment Security Department operate under the same philosiphy? Two state agencies; one (de facto) saying it doesn't have the authority to eject people for conduct which is not prohibited by law, and another which thinks it does have such authority . . .

Difdi

I didn't know they had bomb sniffing dogs? (except maybe on the ferries that go to Canada) If anyone wants some "entertainment" buy a bag of ammonium nitrate fertilizer, and put a gerry can of diesel fuel in your trunk, and take it home. remove it, then go take the ferry. There will be enough of the odor left.....Be perpared to spend quite a bit of time with officer friendly and his dog. Maybe have your dog in the car too...

You can get the same effect with explosive detectors by combining glycerin and any nitrate. Not necessarily in the same container, and residues work just fine. Like, for example, blowing bubbles with a little kid and then a couple days later, traveling with a used diaper bag.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Big trucks carrying fuel or flammable gas I think are prohibited on the ferries, I recall hearing something that all Whidbey's fuel deliveries have to come over the bridge according to state law. Only time I've ever seen a tanker on the ferry was when it was fueling it.

WSP officer told me those dogs are only looking for bombs, not drugs. See them all the time. Usually the officer is somewhere off to the side playing with the dog. :rolleyes: Being detained & questioned with legally legitimate RAS for God knows how long AND giving them reason to thoroughly search your vehicle is your idea of entertainment? Do you also enjoy trying to get thru airport security carrying gallon ziplocs full of little baggies of powdered sugar, with a first-edition Megatron toy thrown in for good measure?

First, large fuel tankers are allowed on the ferries. There are no bridges to Vashon. They usually build a Haz-mat run or two into the schedule. They are unpublished runs. On rare occasions I have been let on the ferry when there are either no or only one or two tankers. I will ask tomorrow what the regulations are and post again.

The WSP does use bomb sniffing dogs a lot. They also train the dogs by asking people in the ferry line to allow them to place decoys somewhere on your car and then let the dogs come through the line. I asked one time if they have ever forgotten and left one on a car. :eek: