Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Missouri we have a pre-emtion Bill

Missouri we have a pre-emtion Bill

After a lot of work here is the bill we've waiting for:

NOW CALL, WRITE EMAIL AND TELL YOUR ELECTED OFICIALS "WE WANT OUR RIGHTS BACK"!!!!!!!!

SB 680 Repeals authority for political subdivisions to regulate open carrying of firearms and requires certain local ordinances incorporate statutory justifications

Sponsor: Nieves
    LR Number: 5364S.01I Fiscal Note not available
    Committee:
    Last Action: 1/18/2012 - S First Read--SB 680-Nieves Journal Page: S109
    Title: Calendar Position: 84
    Effective Date: August 28, 2012

Full Bill Text | All Actions | Available Summaries | Senate Home Page | List of 2012 Senate Bills

Current Bill Summary

SB 680 - Under current law, political subdivisions may enact ordinances regulating the open carrying of firearms. This act removes that authority so political subdivisions may not regulate the open carrying of firearms.

This act also requires that local ordinances regulating the discharge of firearms incorporate justification defenses provided by statute, which include self defense, defense of others, and defense of property.

MEGHAN LUECKE
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

Very Cool ! And I'm on it NOW !

Quote Originally Posted by Festus_Hagen View Post
    Very Cool ! And I'm on it NOW !
    Sorry I couldn't tell you before. There is a small dedicated group of OCers that have been working on this for quite a while, we did not want to say anything until it hit the Senate Web site. Now it is time for everyone to do their part and contcat their House and Senate Members and get this thing rolling.

We want our rights back and not have "local" government resrticting our constitutional rights under the Missouri Constitution Art. Sec 23

See Chapter 21 Sec 21.750.3 of the Missouri State Statutes.
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!

Accomplished Advocate
    Ladies and gents,

We need you. A lot of different angles are being worked to try and make this happen. PLEASE write your reps in support, we need it. Make phone calls to them. Get an audience. Tell them the truth respectfully. It is not just about carrying a gun, it is about limiting government in your life. You don't EVER need to open carry, but you ALWAYS need to have it as a choice and LIMIT the governments ability to regulate that choice.

We need every single one of you reading this board. Marc is busting his ass, others are working in the background, we need this bill to get out of committee and to a vote and your reps need to know they have to support it to earn you vote. We are very much on our own with little support from the large gun owners groups. We have a false reputation of folks looking for law suits, cowboys etc.

Now is our time to show otherwise. Tell your reps and senators that you are indeed a responsible citizen and need no additional regulation beyond the state. Tell them you want the freedom of choice and if they are truly about limited government then they need to step up and push this bill through as that is all it does, limits government.

There is no credit or power to be had this time. None of those working behind the scenes to try and make this happen have any interest. In fact, there has been nothing but cost to those involved. Are you represented by a liberal anti-gun rep because of your location? It does not matter, speak to them anyway, we need to have the loudest voice ever. If they are liberal then question them on it, after all, it is a civil right, one that was taken only out of racism.

It is time for the PEOPLE to take back their government. You have two choices, sit on your ass and watch others while hopful, or help us get it done. This is an election year, very little is expected, if we do not voice ourselves, nothing will be done.

Thanks,
    Rich
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman Universityís School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

I love OC, the 2nd amendment, and everything else about it. I am a supporter through and through and will do whatever I can.

Now, for those of us who have not dealt with representative offices before, who should we be contacting? what should we be saying? Should we be leaving messages with secretaries or will we actually get to talk to our reps?

Who should we email?

Even though I know you guys have already done your part, do a little more and give every one here (including myself) the specifics. Phone numbers, who I'm going to end up talking to on the end of that line, email addresses, Bill numbers and specifics that I should be referencing.

Help me help our state. I am an amateur in politics, but I will do everything I'm shown, and I learn quick. You want a response? Lets give it to them!

I guarantee you more people with exact specifics on what to do or who to talk to will act. I know I will. I'm good at bugging people on the phone :-P

Emailed:

Don Phillips
    Claire McCaskill
    Roy Blunt
    Jack Goodman
    Billy Long

I will be happy to email anyone else that needs to be emailed, just give me email addresses.

Oh, and this is AWESOME FRICKIN NEWS!!!!
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

I'll post the "links" , when I get home to find your Missouri State Representative and House member, I also a have a sample letter I'll post. at work right now, it will hopefully get it out tonight.

If you can naviagte to the "Missouri House of Representatives" web site there is a link to find your Rep and Senator!

Write, call, email..... Better yet make an appointment, go to Jefferson City and talk with them one on one.

There are many fine talking points on the front page of opencarry.org to help you.

Do not write your federally elected officials, this is a "State matter", the federal government screws things up on their own level. Roy Blunt and Claire are federal.

Whoops. Well, they'll still be hearing from me.
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

Exclamation

http://www.senate.mo.gov/llookup/leg_lookup.aspx

Go to the above site, enter your full 9-digit Zip Code and there you have it. It even has a link to find your 9-digit Zip code.

Git-er Done!!!!!

.....oh, I got-er done.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

This is what is returned after your search.

Notice that each person has a link to their website.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Anyone mentioned a HB equivalent yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Griz View Post
    Anyone mentioned a HB equivalent yet?
    We have house member who will introduce the same bill in the House.

Here is a direct link to the Senate bill:
    http://www.senate.mo.gov/12info/pdf-...ntro/SB680.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    The zipcode you entered, XXXXX-XXXX, is currently in:

Senatorial district 002 - Senator Scott Rupp
    House district 013 - Representative Chuck Gatschenberger
    U.S. House district 02 - Congressman Todd Akin

Your statewide elected officials are:

Governor Jay Nixon
    Lieutenant Governor Peter Kinder
    Secretary of State Robin Carnahan
    State Auditor Tom Schweich
    State Treasurer Clint Zweifel
    Attorney General Chris Koster

Your US Senators are:

Senator Roy Blunt
    Senator Claire McCaskill
    You must live near me. That's exactly the same list I got.

Quote Originally Posted by mspgunner View Post
    We have house member who will introduce the same bill in the House.
    Please post info when you can. I'd like to approach Ben Harris with the House Bill number and sponsor. He seemed very sincere in his letter for support.

Edit: Just read the bill. Looks great!
    Last edited by Griz; 01-19-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Griz View Post
    Please post info when you can. I'd like to approach Ben Harris with the House Bill number and sponsor. He seemed very sincere in his letter for support.

Edit: Just read the bill. Looks great!
    I just created a post "Do this now to support oc in missouri "..... It reads how and what to say to your "senator".
    Hopefully the House bill will follow soon!
    Last edited by mspgunner; 01-19-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Called and talked with my state rep. , he is going to support it. Our senator already does support it.
    Last edited by ThePhotog; 01-19-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhotog View Post
    Called and talked with my state rep. , he is going to support it. Our senator already does support it.

This bill in the House doesn't cut it! It is not preemption. There hopefully will be an identical bill to the one from the senate which does create pre-emptionj!

http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking...ro/HB1369I.htm

Just finished!

I have just sent an email too all my reps. Taken about a full 20 minutes. I have did "part" of my part...lets help others to do the same. Thanks again for the info.

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg314 View Post
    I have just sent an email too all my reps. Taken about a full 20 minutes. I have did "part" of my part...lets help others to do the same. Thanks again for the info.
    Sir,

No one person will get this passed, no "one" gets credit, it takes us all and it takes us all motivating others to help as well.

Everyone is appreciated and urged to spread the word, you are all the reason it will pass!

Thanks for the support.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman Universityís School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

This is great news!
    I'm on it!
    "Ever notice once in a while you come across somebody you shouldn't have f***ed with......That's me." -Clint Eastwood "Gran Torino"

Response from Represenative Don Phillips

Iíve looked SB 680 over and it seems pretty straightforward. No problem supporting it if it stays in its current language. I hope this will be a stand-alone bill but itís doubtful; it will be interesting to see the amendments that might be added to it and so forth. Thanks for making me aware of it. I appreciate your input. Don

Quote Originally Posted by mspgunner View Post
    This bill in the House doesn't cut it! It is not preemption. There hopefully will be an identical bill to the one from the senate which does create pre-emptionj!

http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking...ro/HB1369I.htm
    Well that bill sucks, only stating that if you have a CCW then no matter what you can OC? Screw that.

To The Honorable Mr. Gatschenberger,

Greetings to your Sir. I am writing to inform you of my views regarding HB1369.

HB1369 falls far short, in my view, of correcting the error in RSMo 21.750 that permits a political subdivision in Missouri to unconstitutionally restrict a Missouri citizenís Article I, Section 23 of the Missouri Constitution, right to keep and bear arms. ďThat the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil power, shall not be questioned;". A citizen's lawful exercise of his natural right to self-defense must not be converted into a privilege, granted or withdrawn at the whim of the state.

The issue at hand is not to change RSMo 571 to add a privilege, but to remove the infringement of our constitutionally protected right from RSMo 21.750.3. SB680 addresses this issue where the error occurs in RSMo 21.750.

Your wife, Donnette, visited my neighborhood during your election campaign and informed me and several of my neighbors at that time, that you are a staunch supporter of our 2nd Amendment right, which naturally leads me to believe that you are a staunch supporter of our Article I, Section 23 right. I voted for you, as did many of my neighbors, based largely on the discussion we had with your lovely and gracious wife, regarding your beliefs and positions on the issues of the day.

I respectfully request that you support the intent of SB680, by withdrawing your support of HB1369 until such time that a House Bill is introduced that has language that addresses the error in RSMo 21.750.3, or that the language in HB1369 is changed to addresses the error in RSMo 21.750.

Best Regards,
    OC For ME

ok well Sen Engler's site is still not allowing emails to go through. but the snail mail copy is on the dash of my truck.....next stop USPS.....and Karen at his office was very friendly and said she would pass my message along to the Senator. she also reiterated a fact that i already knew......that Senator Engler is all about 2nd Amendment rights and that i/we could expect his support on this legislation. ETA....i am also getting a good response on Facebook. the more the merrier. III%
    Last edited by Broondog; 01-20-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    I'm the one who's gotta die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    To The Honorable Mr. Gatschenberger,

Greetings to your Sir. I am writing to inform you of my views regarding HB1369.

HB1369 falls far short, in my view, of correcting the error in RSMo 21.750 that permits a political subdivision in Missouri to unconstitutionally restrict a Missouri citizenís Article I, Section 23 of the Missouri Constitution, right to keep and bear arms. ďThat the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil power, shall not be questioned;". A citizen's lawful exercise of his natural right to self-defense must not be converted into a privilege, granted or withdrawn at the whim of the state.

The issue at hand is not to change RSMo 571 to add a privilege, but to remove the infringement of our constitutionally protected right from RSMo 21.750.3. SB680 addresses this issue where the error occurs in RSMo 21.750.

Your wife, Donnette, visited my neighborhood during your election campaign and informed me and several of my neighbors at that time, that you are a staunch supporter of our 2nd Amendment right, which naturally leads me to believe that you are a staunch supporter of our Article I, Section 23 right. I voted for you, as did many of my neighbors, based largely on the discussion we had with your lovely and gracious wife, regarding your beliefs and positions on the issues of the day.

I respectfully request that you support the intent of SB680, by withdrawing your support of HB1369 until such time that a House Bill is introduced that has language that addresses the error in RSMo 21.750.3, or that the language in HB1369 is changed to addresses the error in RSMo 21.750.

Best Regards,
    OC For ME
    I'm going to borrow that, if it's cool with you. That's a very well written letter.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast