• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB224 will it be retroactive?

love4guns

Anyone know what the impact of this bill will be? Will it apply to previous convictions even if pardoned or restored?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
SB 224 (and its House counterpart, HB 992) would only apply to crimes committed on or after its effective date--if it becomes law. I strongly agree with VCDL's strong opposition to these bills. Under current Virginia (and West Virginia) law and the Fourth Circuit's decision in U.S. v. White, 606 F.3d 144 (4th Cir. 2010), assault and battery convictions in states like Virginia and West Virginia that still follow the common law theory of assault and battery (i.e., any unwanted touching of an insulting or provoking nature, no matter how gentle the touch) do not count as a "misdemeanor crime of domestic violence" under the Lautenberg Amendment because the crime does not include, as an element, "physical force," defined by federal case law as violent force--more than a mere touching.

Second, I note that 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(33)(B)(ii) excludes from the definition of a "misdemeanor crime of domestic violence" any conviction
if the conviction has been expunged or set aside, or is an offense for which the person has been pardoned or has had civil rights restored (if the law of the applicable jurisdiction provides for the loss of civil rights under such an offense) unless the pardon, expungement, or restoration of civil rights expressly provides that the person may not ship, transport, possess, or receive firearms.
Ignore the "civil rights restored" exception, as misdemeanors do not result in a loss of civil rights in Virginia West Virginia and a state cannot "restore" civil rights if civil rights were never lost in the first instance.

Last edited:

love4guns

Not in virginia. Like mr mullins said the current a&b statue does not count as a crime of domestic violence. Therefore federal attorneys cannot charge citizens with violating 922(g). I had a lawyer by the name of Richard Gardnier write a letter to the VSP. Now I can purchase firearms.....i just wanted to make sure this bill wasnt retroactive.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Not in virginia. Like mr mullins said the current a&b statue does not count as a crime of domestic violence. Therefore federal attorneys cannot charge citizens with violating 922(g). I had a lawyer by the name of Richard Gardnier write a letter to the VSP. Now I can purchase firearms.....i just wanted to make sure this bill wasnt retroactive.

The bill is not retroactive, but bill or no bill, if a prior conviction is documented in the warrant as involving the use or threatenned use of force, then US v. White appears to allow that conviction to stand as a Lautenberg disabler.

love4guns

United states v shepard and United states v harcum clearly outlines what a later court can use to determine force. Plea agreement, transcipt of plea colloquy, charging document and the final order is all a later court can use. So i think you are right my friend. Im not trying to play lawyer this is all the info i got from dan hawes and rich gardnier.